The Realm of the Defeated

The Realm of the Defeated

A Chapter by Jack Merridew
"

We have come across another wasteland, but we have found this one is inhabited by other creatures.

"
Hideous creatures scamper past us, screeches of fear bubbling from their throats. This is no surprise, for we have trespassed in their realm. One we are certain has been left untouched by souls for thousands of years. The outline of my skin glimmered faintly in the dull sunlight, yet remained untouched by its harsh rays. It was saddening to say that it wasn't the case for the creatures of this realm, for it was impossible to ignore the great numbers of decaying bodies that litter the dry grounds of the realm. Most of us turned away, disgusted by the sight, while others eyes remained transfixed on their corpses.

As we trudged on, the sun only seemed to get noticeably hotter. I could scarcely hear the footsteps of my companions, and it took me a few glances back before I was convinced they were still following along with me. This thought caused a deep chuckle to break free, the fact that we had no where else to go brought about such a reaction from me.

We have come to name each realm that we pass through, and this one has gotten a most lovely title from each of us. The Realm of the Defeated, a fitting title for such a place. Its barren lands filled with such hopeless creatures, all who looked upon this realm could determine the fate of such a place. For the only end to such a place, such creatures, was one thing only. It was a dark thought, one we all hoped had not happened to our very own race back home.

"Complete and utter extinction," it was a croak of a whisper, those words that passed through my lips unwillingly. A thought that escaped from my minds hold.

My words brought on many curious stares from my companions. I diverted my attention away from their gazes, fearing that they would begin to ask questions, and I wanted to keep my answers to those secret. It wouldn't take much longer for the sun to fade in the distance, and soon the realm begins to have an eerie feeling about it.

"Shouldn't we stop for the nigh'?" Her voice coaxed us to look at her, some seemingly confused by this question.

The thought of this dawned on me, and I was at a loss of how to answer. This would be the second time we'd slept in a realm that was inhabited by other creatures that weren't of our kind. It was a frightening thought, one that reopened a once long gone wound. Would it bring about terrible consequences, or would we be safe to rest here? I turned toward my companions, seeking some opinions on this matter.

"What do ya think? Do y'all agree with Marie about stoppin'?" My voice is hindered by exhaustion, my words barely coming out as coherent.

"Yeah...yeah, I think we should!" Eliza's words boom through the barren wastelands, some creatures flee in fright, having not understood the source of the sound.

"I...I'm not sure...," a timid voice whispers.

"Well, why not?" A deep male voice questions, an annoyed undertone hidden in his words.

The rustling of crumpled leaves fills the void, as an awkward silence settles over us. Her amber eyes look conflicted, tore between answering and just keeping quiet. My hand motions for her to continue, and she does so unwillingly. After tucking her golden locks of hair behind her ears, she finally speaks.

"W...What if...What if we get a-attacked?"

Silence thickens the air, and aside from me, it is apparent that none among us had thought of that fact. A nervous chuckle spilled from the questioners lips, almost afraid to answer her question. His eyes narrow into slits, the words spilling from his mouth just moments after are like a flurry of ice across scorched skin.

"Then we'll just have to let the weakest fight, won't we?"

Most of our eyes flickered around to stare at the surroundings, the truth hanging heavily around us, for to speak of our policy had become taboo. This fact only having arisen one hundred years ago, the day we lost one of our fellow comrades.

A land that was filled with sea-dwelling creatures used to be our home, it was a peaceful realm that we once loved dearly. The vast sea's of the realm held wondrously unique creatures that no human could imagine. Underneath the deep, azure blue waters they swam, their scales glimmering under the faint light of the everlasting moon. After many years with us they had learned to speak our language, we conversed heavily each day, and we soon considered their world as ours.

One of their creatures lost control one day, after the death of one of her newborns. In anguish, she took the life of one of ours. It was a reality check for all of us, and we soon moved on we never rested in one place for too long after that, for we've always had that fear it would happen again.

"That was unnecessary," I state, glaring towards Jackson, who used to be an old soldier that had died willingly along with us five hundred years ago.

"It was needed, we all need to remember our code of conduct and the policy we are ruled by," he answers, hooking his thumbs in his pockets, and turning away.

I run my hand through my thick, black hair, a sigh escaping from my lips as I take in the exhausted faces and pale complexions of my companions. One of them stifles a yawn, their hand clasped over their mouth tightly in embarrassment.

"Alright, we'll rest." Some shout joyously, while others just fall to the ground, their bodies too overworked for any more movement.

Nighttime creeps upon the land, cloaking it in a blanket of darkness, its creatures fall silent to sleep. I lay awake as all the others rest, contemplating everything in the last five hundred years, realizing that I no longer remember any details from our home world. Even the creatures of the world are a fleeting image in my mind. My hand instinctively creeps up to my neck, clasping around the glass ring necklace that adorns it. Weak electrical sparks flick against my hand, the source of my slowly depleting energy.

Slowly, I drift off into a dreamless sleep, the necklace being the last thing I see before I do. During the night nocturnal creatures scamper across the lands, running off into a ragged horizon. Some of them converse amongst each other, speaking tales of the curious creatures that have trespassed upon their lands.

They speak of horrible deaths, ones they believes these creatures will bring about. All of them shiver at the thought of being roasted, as if getting scorched by the hot sun wasn't terrifying enough for them.


© 2010 Jack Merridew


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on October 4, 2010
Last Updated on October 4, 2010


Author

Jack Merridew
Jack Merridew

Port Byron, NY



About
My name is Chelsea. (: I am fifteen years old, almost sixteen. I will be sixteen on November twenty-fifth of this year. =D I love writing and a good debate, all of my online friends are on a websit.. more..

Writing