Blood in the City

Blood in the City

A Story by Ian Faraway
"

An introduction to a fantasy about vampires for my sister's birthday. Tell me what you think.

"
    "Hey, stop right there!" There was shouting behind me but I had no intention of stopping. I was running at full speed up the block, weaving in and out of the small crowds on the sidewalk. It was close to three o'clock in the morning and the streets were still busy. Behind me, I could hear the sirens starting up.

    S**t. I need to lose them quick. My crappy, run down apartment was a mile down Manhattan and if I wasn't quick, I'd be either dead or surrounded before I make it half way. An alley was coming up on the left and I took it. It was a dead end but I didn't decrease my speed. I just needed to get out of view from any spectators and the police that were close to my trial just long enough to disappear. As I got to the dead end, I bent my knees slightly and jumped as hard as I could. I outstretched my hands and crapped the fire escape ladder that was about 13 feet up. Heaving myself up over the railing, I raced up the steps to the top and jumped up onto the roof of the building and laid down immediately looking back down at the alley making sure no one saw. Two officers suddenly appeared down the alley with their guns up.

    "I told you he didn't come this way!" One of the officers said.

    "D****t. I could've sworn I saw someone come this way."

    They both doubled back and vanished around the corner. I rolled a few feet away from the edge before I sat up. Nothing like being chased by the cops to say 'Welcome to city that never sleeps'. The sun was going to be up in a few hours and I needed to get back inside and fast. But with the cops looking for me, it would make getting back a little bit harder. But hell, it's been a while since I had some cardio with jumping buildings. One of the few things about being a vampire that didn't suck. The increased stamina and enhanced abilities.
 
    Getting to my feet, I dusted off my jeans and looked around to see where I was going. I took off along the rooftop, gaining my full speed before hitting the edge of the building where there was a street below. Gritting my teeth, I jumped off the building and for a few seconds I felt as if I was floating until I landed on the roof across the street.

    I didn't slow down as I made my way across building after building. Jumping up and down and across streets until I was across the street from my apartment building on 9th street. Making sure that there were no cops around, I jumped down onto the fire escape and made my way down to the street. I wiped my forehead of sweat and crossed the street with my hands in my pocket looking as casual as possible.

    Running up the stairs, I imagined what started this whole mess. I was just adventuring around the city, trying to get to know the sights and where everything was. Maybe even find a clinic or two that sold  blood so I wouldn't have to kill innocent humans. I was talking with a doctor outside of his clinic when I was shoved so hard that I hit the wall. Everything went blurry but I could make out two new figures yelling at the doctor. When my vision cleared, I struggled to my feet and saw that the doctor was dead on the ground. His face was pale and only a little blood was on the ground. I made my way over to him and saw he had two puncture holes on the side of his neck. That was when the cops showed up and they automatically assumed I had done it.I took off and now I'm here in my apartment sweating and dirty.

    After a long shower and a small glass of blood to refuel a little bit of energy, I went onto my laptop and researched recent murders in NYC that was similiar to the one I was put into the middle of. There was 5 other cases in the past week alone and according to the new site that updated about an hour ago, the police chased the suspect and lost him. I closed my eyes and rubbed my temples. This was just what I needed on my first few days here. To be a murder suspect. Hell I could barely remember the last time I killed someone for blood. I think it was back in the late 50s. I focused back on the internet and tried to see if the police had managed to get a clear look at my face to get a sketch posted to the media. It didn't look like it.

    I then checked to see who was supposed to be working on these homicide cases and the name Detective Michelle Chard. Tapping my fingers on the keyboard, I wondered how much this Detective knew about vampires or if she had anything to help her catch the ones who did this. I shut the laptop and pushed the whole murder thing out of my mind. The whole reason I left Los Angeles was because I made too many enemies doing the right thing. Last thing I needed was people knowing who I was. I glanced out the window at the building across the street and saw the sky get lighter behind it. Getting up, I shut the blinds before the sun would have a chance to turn me into dust. I did the same with the other two windows in the living room. I sat back on the bed and turned off the lamp on the nightstand. I sat there in the dark for a minute looking down at the ground. Spacing out before bed was a way for me to stop thinking for I could fall asleep easier. I laid back and closed my eyes. The last thought I had before drifting off into a black dream was 'I should've never let my guard down.'

© 2013 Ian Faraway


Author's Note

Ian Faraway
This is the only a first draft introduction. So judging on the feedback, I may continue writing this story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I would read it Ian...run spell and grammer and join us over in creative poetry..words are:New Words: languor, argent, pacifism, lullaby, chimera

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ian Faraway

11 Years Ago

I did it that writing prompt! :) The Singing Stars as it's titled. I also did the writing prompt tha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2013
Last Updated on June 22, 2013
Tags: vampire, fantasy, new york

Author

Ian Faraway
Ian Faraway

Somewhere, NH



About
Ian Faraway is simply a pen name and is not my actual name. Here are a few things to note: 1. If you need me to read anything you've written, please feel free to PM me. Also, let me know if you.. more..

Writing
Darkness Darkness

A Poem by Ian Faraway