Guide To Restricting WordPress Administration Access By IP Address

Guide To Restricting WordPress Administration Access By IP Address

A Story by WPTechGuides

Guide To Restricting WordPress Administration Access By IP Address

WordPress is a popular content management system (CMS) that allows users to create and manage their own websites. Anyone can install WordPress on a server, and it’s free to use. However, there are also risks associated with using WordPress. One of the risks is that anyone with access to the server can install WordPress and manage the site. This could allow them to steal data or damage the site. To prevent this, it’s important to restrict WordPress admin access by IP address.

Restricting WordPress Admin Access by IP Address can protect your website from unauthorized access. By restricting access to only certain IP addresses, you can prevent unauthorized users from accessing your website’s files and settings. This can keep your site safe from attack and ensure that only authorized personnel can access it.


How to restrict admin access in WordPress?


Restrict WordPress Admin Access to Specific IPs Using .Htaccess File

The .htaccess file aka distributed configuration files is a powerful website file that allows you to configure your site on the fly without editing server files.


To stop WordPress admin access, open your .htaccess file and enter these three rules:

Step 1. Backup the .htaccess file for WordPress
You must make a backup before modifying your .htaccess file, in case anything goes wrong.

Step 2. Only allow a specific IP to access the WordPress login page

Follow the instructions below to grant access to your admin area to one content or multiple IPs. You can edit the file directly in cPanel or use a text editor.

  1. Create a new .htaccess file
  2. Inserting the IP address into the file “wp-admin/.htaccess
    order deny,allow
    allow from 123.45.67.89
    deny from all
  3. Remember to replace the “123.45.67.89” with your own IP address
  4. Add new “allow” lines if you want to sanction access for multiple admins

order deny,allow
allow from 123.45.67.89
allow from abc.de.fg.hi
allow from 172.84.52.13
deny from all


Step 3- Prevent certain IP addresses from logging in to your WordPress site

You can also restrict access to the WordPress admin page by authorizing selected IP addresses. You can also block suspicious IP blocks if you find them to be a threat.


A malicious bot will enter every possible username and password to try and gain access to your WordPress admin. You can identify them by checking your log file and blocking their IP addresses.

Insert this code to your .htaccess file to block IP addresses from entering your admin area.
order allow,deny
deny from 178.44.253.196
allow from all


It’s possible to prevent more than one IP address from accessing your website. There is a “deny from” line that can be added to your code in order to do this.


Limit Access to WordPress Files and Content by IP Addresses

If you’re running a WordPress site, you need to be careful about who can access your files and content. WordPress is a popular content management system (CMS), so there are lots of people out there looking to grab a copy of your site’s code, style sheet, and other data.


One way to protect your site is by limiting access to it by IP addresses. This means that only certain computers on your network can access your site. You can do this by setting up a firewall or virtual private network (VPN) and assigning specific IP addresses to specific computers.


You can also use plugins like WP Security and WP Limit Login Attempts to help you protect your site. These plugins will allow you to set limits on the number of login attempts per day, the amount of time someone can spend logged in, and more.

© 2022 WPTechGuides


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is mostly self-serving bullshit meant to alarm and impress you. Forgetting that the moron who wrote it posted it on a wildly inappropriate site, you don't need what they're selling. And who buys from liars in any case.

It's probably another idiot from the same Indian school that's been dumping this crap in, regularly.

Apparently, the standards for students ae lower there.

Posted 1 Year Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
1 Review
Added on September 23, 2022
Last Updated on September 23, 2022
Tags: wordpress, wordpress website, wordpress tips, wordpress guides

Author

WPTechGuides
WPTechGuides

India



About
WPtechguides is all about creating a pathway to understanding the invigorating world of WordPress. Find curated columns of resources dedicated to guides and tips on WordPress. more..