AT LAST

AT LAST

A Poem by Vol

AT LAST


On my veranda I watch beads of sweat

slide down the glass of ale I use to get over

something I’m not sure of, perhaps just an

absence of idea or thought, a quiet discontent

that sparrow at the feeder cannot know.

The small bird skitters to his majesty the Red Oak

who lives slow in the corner of my woods.

He is old enough to speak with substance and

weight beyond the business of anything I’ll ever do...


To my left that willow I set in the ground some years

ago waves long wands in the breeze over the water

and careful plantings on the terraces and slopes.

And there it is, the sure knowledge of an ungentle

slide down three score years and ten to sleep,

with a paucity of hope for substance and weight.


Copyright

Vol Lindsey

7/12/2004 

© 2023 Vol


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Maybe the oak knows our secrets, but the willow weeps for us, as Chad and Jeremy once sang.
I often sit and contemplate a matter...not really knowing what's the matter.
You really created a mood here.
j.

Posted 1 Year Ago


July, 2004... sounds like a beginning being accepted. Seems our thought are our own and most remain unheard or unheralded. I like your "presence".

Posted 1 Year Ago


We often question our substance, our gathered weight after all the years. Sometimes we feel that we cannot compare with even the smallest members of nature. The downward slide goes on and the chances of it keep fading. Perhaps, man's allowed span is just too brief. Beautifully written.

Posted 1 Year Ago


Vol

1 Year Ago

Thanks, Divya!
Many years ago, I was introduced to something the Navajo say as a greeting, ".. read more
Ayvid N

1 Year Ago

You're most welcome, Vol.
I too enjoy watching the world from the comfort of my veranda, which is really just my back garden, but luckily there is enough wildlife in the pines and firs to keep me both entertained and wondering. Sometimes I even pause mid thought as I see a squirrel from the corner of my eye, which always plays the mission impossible theme in my head jukebox, as it scurries hither and thither, with its acrobatic and devil may care lifestyle.
Up until recently we had a family of owls that kept us entertained with their rudimentary language of twit and twoo, but they have been replaced with far more vocal types, who do love a good old sing song.
Next time I see them, I shall ponder what they may ponder of me.


Posted 1 Year Ago


Vol

1 Year Ago

I walked ut to my veranda this morning and thought, "MAN! I've gotta clean up my yard!"

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2023
Last Updated on March 14, 2023

Author

Vol
Vol

Gouge Eye, TX



About
My name is Vol Lindsey. I live in Gouge Eye, Texas, a tiny ghost town on Rt. 66. I am a retired creative writing, English literature teacher. I have been writing poetry and reading publicly since 196.. more..

Writing
TRUE FICTION TRUE FICTION

A Poem by Vol


THRILLER THRILLER

A Poem by Vol