Chapter 3 -- The Hunter

Chapter 3 -- The Hunter

A Chapter by JT Godin

CHAPTER III -- THE HUNTER

As midday approached on the last of the tendays of darkness, Caitlyn and her siblings -- Jalyssa, Theodore, Dorothea, and Aisling made their way along the country trail to Windswept Port Town. Wide open fields bordered with fences, containing farmhouses not unlike their own as they went. Ever present in the starry sky above, airships of different varieties also contended with the journey, though increasing in volume as the MacCready's approached town.
Caitlyn smiled as she looked over at Aisling, pestering Jalyssa with a never-ending barrage of endearing questions beginning with "why" this, and "but why" that. Meanwhile Theo and Thea kept fully engaged with one another in the bed of the cart, exploring topics of great depth and importance, such as the historical significance of airships in the Cloudsea.
"Ho, MacCready clan!" A familiar voice brought Caitlyn's head to pivot in the other direction, where she now saw a handsome young man, older than she, running up to greet them.
She recognized the man as her elder childhood friend, Virgel Vizolbil. He was five years her senior, but they had attended the same schoolhouse until he dropped out while she was still only ten years of age. He had nevertheless kept in contact with the MacCready children over the years.
Virgel trotted up to the cart, wearing his customary black hunting tunic and green cloak. The young man had sepia brown eyes to match his dark complexion, and thick black locs to frame his pointed face, now rough on the chin with new growth. Caitlyn dismissed thoughts of anything more than friendship with Virgel, feeling that Virgel himself likely still saw her as a child anyway.



"Virgel", Caitlyn spoke tersely.
"Aye, off to the market are ye's?"
"Virgel!" Theo and Thea both shouted out in unison, bouncing up from the bed of the cart to hang over the edge where they could make direct conversation with Virgel.
"Twins!" Virgel leaned back to wave at the younger MacCreadys while still keeping pace with Caitlyn as she drove the cart from the box seat.
"You're going to the Centennial too?" Caitlyn interrupted the greeting. "Any fur to sell?"
"Am I not a hunter?" Virgel said with a grin. "Tis true, but alas, fortune is not the only thing I seek today." He rummaged then in a pouch he kept tied to his belt, and produced a single
crumpled up envelope. Straightening it out, he produced the adressee side to Caitlyn, where the name Virgel Vizolbil was plainly written.
Caitlyn blushed ever-so-slightly before letting slip, "You got one too?"
"Oh? Caitlyn MacCready was invited as well?"
Caitlyn frowned at that last bit, knowing she didn't receive an invitation at all, but instead had recovered someone else's lost letter. "Oorus," she mumbled, quietly enough that it was plain she was speaking but her words were her own.
"Ah, not keen on adventuring then are we?" Virgel shook his head and shrugged. "I can't say I blame you, as of yet I know as much as you."
A distant rumble from high above then stole the attention of the two friends' talking. A large airship, higher than the rest, produced a significant whir from its many propellers, as well as a bass hum resonating from its engines. The shadow of the enormous vessel blotted out the stars as it passed over.
"Grimbone Bylg," Virgel spoke in monotone.
"What's that?" Caitlyn spoke abruptly.
"Caitlyn!" Theo answered. "Don't you know?"
"It's the name of the flying city built by the goblins," Thea finished her brother's line of thought.
"The goblin city ship, Grimbone Bylg," Virgel repeated.
"Goblins," Caitlyn sighed. "Leave it to goblins to build a city that flies."
"Aye, I trust they're going to need plenty of foodstuffs for the celebration, if they're intent on attending the Centennial," Virgel winked with a side glance to Caitlyn.
"R-r-right," Caitlyn stuttered. "Our stall will be available to service produce to all the denizens of the Cloudsea." She spoke with pride, straightening her back and tightening the reins, holding herself high with purpose as she spoke her intent.
Virgel and Caitlyn both laughed then at the absurdly canned line, however, they continued to chat as Virgel walked alongside the cart on the way into town.




© 2024 JT Godin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

29 Views
Added on August 20, 2024
Last Updated on August 20, 2024


Author

JT Godin
JT Godin

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada



About
I write science fiction and poetry. I like to write about how modern society interacts or is affected by rapidly changing technologies. I also have a pet interest in languages, their histories, featur.. more..

Writing