Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Japanese Cherry
"

Book Chapter

"

A young woman in a stunning white sleeveless dress is standing on a big stage. There are three instruments on stage with her: A violin, piano, and a Japanese koto. She is playing the violin right now. Everyone in the audiance is entranced by her skill and beauty. Her light brown hair is flowing as she moves to the music, the lighting distinguishes the red highlights that are mixed within. As she finishes the song, she opens her dark brown eyes and smiles. The crowd erupts in a round of applause. As she bows, she is greeted by red roses. The woman walks off the stage to her room... from even there, she can hear the crowd. In her room, her manager walks in, holding a bag. The woman looks inside to see big wads of money along with a few gifts. She laughs and walks out, hugging the manager on the way.

Her home is unbelievable! It is huge... huge can't even describe it... a beautiful garden greets her first. As she walks through, it's almost like every flower turns to see her. At the front door, a young, handsome man is waiting for her. She smiles and runs to him. He grabs her in a hug and gives her a kiss. As he releases her, she is greeted by three children. Her family... Her life... it is so simple... easy...

 

BANG!! Saku Hana is startled awake from her lovely dream by the sound of her textboks falling on the ground of her classroom.

 

Saku Hana, honor student in class 3-A... at the age of 17... and her life... is nothing like the dream...

 

Saku rubs her eyes and fixes her messy hair. As she does so, she is greeted by two friends. The first, a taller girl with long red hair that is pulled back in a ponytail, her bangs stopping right above her eyes. Her stunning green eyes hidden behind her glasses.

"Good afternoon Saku Hana..." She smiles

Saku Hana gives her a small wave, "Morning Irei..."

The second girl is shorter, a little more plump, with straight, shoulderlength, blond hair. Her curious blue eyes targeting a couple kissing in the back of the room.

Saku gets her attention, "They just started going out, Goshippu, your thoughts and rumor are going to be correct... you happy?"

Goshippu looks at Saku and laughs, "Of course! At least I only spread rumors that are true! Ah... so how are you doing Hana? You've been sleeping a lot more often in class..."

Saku waves a hand at the question, "Ahaha... I'm fine... just... busy is all..."

Irei doesn't take it, "You've been overworking yourself haven't you? And I know you are still looking for more work!"

Goshippu comments, "Irei, she's been studying like crazy for the upcoming exams as well... you can so tell by how many books she's been carrying around..."

Saku growls, "And why shouldn't I? Goshippu, shouldn't you be studying?!"

Goshippu laughs, "Who the heck studies in class 3-F?! Plus, my family is rich... I don't even need to do anything when I'm older... I could help you too!"

Saku and Irei snort at the answer recieved. Irei groans, "Some of us actually want to do something or be successful when we're older... and I don't think your parents would appreciate us mooching off of them for the rest of our lives..."

Saku also comments, "Yeah, I know your parents love us and all... but I don't think they want to spend so much of their money paying off that huge debt on my back..."

"So, you're still fighting with that... no wonder you want more work... Hana, does that restaurant pay you well?" Irei asks.

"Can I see your watch Goshippu?" Saku asks.

Goshippu nods and shows her the gold watch. Saku panics at the time she sees: 3:30. Saku packs up her things and quickly gets up, "Sorry guys, but I have to be at the restaurant at 4:30!! Bye!! Visit, okay?!"

And just like that, Saku ran out of the classroom and out of the school.

 

Walking to the front door of her apartment, Saku groans, "I have to get ready and rush now..."

She stops in front of her door to read a note that is stapled to the door. Reading aloud, her worries deepen, "This is a reminder that if you cannot pay off your rent by the designated date, you will be evacuated immediately..."

Saku rips the paper from her door, opens the door and walks in. As she closes the door, she crumbles the paper and flings it across her small room. Saku collapses to the floor and begins to cry. She leans against her door and pulls her knees up to her chest. As Saku surveys her small room, she pays close attention to the red stickers on her furniture.

Saku mumbles to her apartment room, "I can't seem to make enough money to even keep my furniture..."

She forces herself to get up and walks over to a pile of papers, college recomendations.

"Should I even pay attention to college right now? When I can't even afford an apartment room? Uhg!! All this damn stress... I need to get to work d****t..."

Quickly cleaning herself off, Saku changes into a white, sleeveless dress. As she prepares to go out, she grabs two instrument cases: a violin case and a longer case, her Japanese Koto.

She gives a huff as she slings the koto over her shoulder, "Damn thing is heavy..."

 

At the restaurant, Saku has two jobs to do: She acts as live entertainment. playing the piano, koko, or violin when requested, and she must also act as a waitress when she is needed.

Its hard work, but this was the best paying job she could get. Saku just finishes playing the violin with her partner when she hears her boss calling to her, "Saku, you need to wait a table!"

Saku lets out a silent sigh and gives her violin to her partner, "Can't you play without me?"

He shrugs, "They request both of us... and only you can play all three instruments... sorry, but..."

She waves a hand, "It's fine..."

Saku ends up waiting tables for most of her night. Towards the end of her shift, she is requested to play the Japanese Koto for a few older couples. Saku duts off her dress and runs to the stage. She bows and sets up the koto. Suddenly, Saku tips to one side. Immediately, she rights herself, not wanting to cause a scene. She bows again to the couples and sits down to play. Half way through the song, Saku messes up, the strings blend together suddenly. The couples look a little dissapointed. Saku sends out a silent curse, It's not like you can play! So don't go and criticize my performance!

When she finally finishes the song, Saku bows and packs up her things. As the couples leave, she takes the violin case and the Japanese Koto to a table where she sits down and has her dinner. Saku slowly eats and looks at the fancy clock on the wall, it is 10:30... she grumbles to herself, "D****t, I'm working this late... don't even get a good pay even though I work extra... I can't even stay awake during performances..."

As she continues to grumble about her problems, her boss sits down across from her. Saku quickly shuts up and glares at him from across the table.

Awkwardly, he starts the conversation, “Hey Saku, great work today, you did well!! How are things?”

“…” She continues to eat.

“Still the same, huh?”

“…” She looks up and stares at him.

“Well, I’ve been well! My girlfriend is getting ready for college, my restaurant is booming, my house just got renovated, I got a raise and-“

“Give me my damn paycheck and stop boasting to me! I don’t want to hear about your perfect life!!” Saku snapped. She didn't mean to, but, she had a feeling he was boasting to her just because he knew her situation.

“Well, feisty are we…” He crosses his arms.

“Give it to me… I need to go home and write out reports for school…”

Saku stands up and gathers her things. While doing so, she hands her an envelope. Saku takes it, bows, and leaves.

 

Lying on a blanket on the ground, Saku sighs. Inthe corner of her room, textbooks are lying around her school bag and a pile of reports are neatly placed on top of her bag. When she got home, she was greeted by a pile of bills, which is what she lay reading now. As she sifted through the pages, her anger began to rise. Totally pissed, Saku flung the papers away from her. Completely exhausted, she rolls over and looks at her clock, 5:10. "Hm... my life sucks..."

She rolls over again and finds the small shrine she created for her deceased parents. On the shrine is a picture with the three of them together. She lit a candle for both of them and she lit an incense. Saku spoke to the picture, "I'm sorry that I can't even support myself... I'll be on the streets soon... I'm sorry I failed you..."

Sighing again, she rolls onto her back, "I can't think about all this right now... I should rest while I can..." She is finally able to close her eyes.

A few minutes later, the alarm on her clock goes off, signaling that it is now 5:30. Saku sits up and angrily screams, throwing her blanket, "DAMN THIS CLOCK TO HELL!! I CAN'T EVEN SLEEP!!!!!"

There is a thump from below, her neighbor, "Hey, quiet down up there," the old lady screams, "Some people want to sleep at this time young lady!!"

Saku screams back, "At least you can sleep ya old hag!!!"

"How rude!" The lady growls before leaving Saku in silence.

Fuming, she stomps around and gets ready for school.



© 2012 Japanese Cherry


Author's Note

Japanese Cherry
*the red stickers on furniture means that the government will take it. The debtor cannot use it anymore and taking the sticker off means serious punishment

It also came longer than I thought... but if you don't wanna read so much, you know the manga version is a lot shorter.

Anyway, I hope you read either the manga version or the book version and enjoy it!

tell me if there is anything I can do to make it better

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked this chapter :)
100/100

Posted 12 Years Ago


Japanese Cherry

12 Years Ago

:) thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

279 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 26, 2012
Last Updated on July 27, 2012


Author

Japanese Cherry
Japanese Cherry

Mallepa, With Sho and Kei, Japan



About
MEOW HOO!!! OHAYO!!!! ANNYEONG!!!! I'm just a shy (unless ur a close friend or family), but creative girl between the age of 15 and 21 that loves to read, write and draw... Nothing more... by the.. more..

Writing