One of Those Nights [PREVIEW?]

One of Those Nights [PREVIEW?]

A Story by VioletValkyrie
"

Something small I made after not writing for a while. I apologize for the hiatus, but I thought this was nice.

"

It was one of those nights again.

 

I began to turn my head to look out the window, wincing as a sharp pain shot through my neck again. My grip tightened around my thigh and I bit my lip to avoid making noise. Everyone here would think I was crazy if they looked over to see someone just suddenly yelp in pain. I relaxed a bit and tried adjusting my body so I could look. I smiled in satisfaction at my successful adjustment as I saw the reflection of my face in the glass, the smile fading after realizing just how ugly I really looked.

I sighed, looking past my reflection and into the outside world, staring at all the streetlights painting lines of light across the city as we traveled down streets and avenues, occasionally looking down at the people walking across them. My smile grew again. There was just something about this wonderful night time scenery I just fell in love with. Everything was quiet and elegant, as a dark cloak of black and blue covered the sky, lit by the golden glow of the mechanical lights dotting the sidewalks.

I almost forgot everything that had happened, looking through that window. Closing my eyes, my thoughts began to run wild, filled with beautiful art and fantasies of love and happiness. Castles adorned with gardens and towers, lined with gold and filled with quartz. Of all the fantasies, this one had to be my favourite.

 

A sudden stop brought me back to reality. I blinked, before wincing again at the ear-grating sound of the buzzer, awaiting any announcements.

 

“Well, this is your stop, isn’t it?”

 

I looked out the window to see familiar signs and buildings. I turned away from the window, remembering to move my body instead of my neck, grabbing the small bag on the seat beside mine and slinging it over my shoulder as I got up.

I walked down the stairs, being extra careful not to trip and embarrass myself further, as the constant mental reminder flashed through my head. Keep your ankles straight, and your head up. The heels looked nice, but they weren’t the easiest to keep balanced in. I continued walking to the front of the vehicle, turning to the man sitting at the seat there.

 

I bowed. “Thank you.”

 

He shrugged and shook his head. “There’s no need to thank me, young lady. I’m just doing my job, like I told you last time.” He reached into his pocket. “But here, you probably need this.” He pulled out something small and handed it to me.

 

My eyes widened as I looked down at the small white cloth in my hands. “T-Thank you very much.” Had I been crying?

 

He smiled at me. “It’s nothing. Just enjoy your night, and have a safe trip home.”

 

I nodded, as the door opened and I stepped out.

 

“Oh, by the way?”

 

I turned around quickly, the pain shooting through my neck once again.

 

“You look beautiful tonight.”

 

I watched as the door slid closed and the vehicle drove off. I stood there for what seemed like an unrealistic amount of time, clutching the white cloth in my hands and smiling.

 

Maybe my tears would ruin this dress, I thought, and I began to walk home.

© 2017 VioletValkyrie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on June 25, 2017
Last Updated on June 25, 2017

Author

VioletValkyrie
VioletValkyrie

Canada



About
[Working on a bio] more..

Writing
The Letter The Letter

A Chapter by VioletValkyrie