Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by VincentRayne
"

Neither you, nor your Guardian allies are welcomed here.

"
“Then in that case, I must be considered old fashioned.” Yu said, raising one of his swords, and Keytara’s eyes widened.

“Are those your swords? They look totally different from before!” She exclaimed

“Simply put, my previous swords were destroyed and reforged. But I cannot come up with an explanation for their current appearance.”

Yu noticed Zack looking at the blade, which was crystalline blue.

“Something on your mind?”

“Hmm…its nothing. I just feel I have seen that design before somewhere. Anyway, let’s eat.”

**

As night approached Elisa suggested that everyone get some sleep and that they would continue their discussion in the morning about what to do about the situation. Everyone was given their own room except the sisters who insisted they share a room.

Zack didn't know about the others but he felt restless. He was in dangerous territory. The attack earlier made Zack realize that and he did not feel safe. He was not in Japan anymore. Everything was unfamiliar here. Zack wondered if the others felt the same way.

After about an hour of tossing and turning in his bed, Zack, finally sat up and ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. 

"I need some air." Zack muttered to himself. He exited the room and looked around while listening. The wasn't a sound and the lights down the long hall were dimmed, clashing with the moonlight seeping through the window at the end of the hall. Zack stepped out of his room and quietly made his way towards the stairs that led, down, to the first floor. No one was up. The house was quiet and if Zack didn't know better he'd think it empty. 

The back door led to a large open yard. There were various paths lined with bushes. Zack just took one and started walking. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and they weren't that close to any cities so the stars stood out. At least more than they did in Tokyo. The moon was also full and seemed closer than normal as if it would collide with Earth. 

Zack felt like he would find it easier to sleep out in the open air than in the large house. It was early summer so the weather was good and the slight breezes here and there made an even more relaxed atmosphere. As Zack looked around something finally dawned on him. He thought this mansion was lined with guards. In fact, he knew it was. He saw them. Unless the guards all got to sleep at the same time or were positioned at a wider radius than Zack thought. But he wouldn't know where since the land was flat and stretched on for a while before reaching the large fences.

"Don't move." A voice from behind him whispered and Zack could feel something press into his back. He raised his hands in the air slowly. "On your knees." Zack did as he was told and started turning to look at his captor. "Stay facing forward." 

"Miss assassin." Zack said. 

"Don't speak." The girl ordered. "You don't have to die tonight if you follow instructions. Don't act rash. Don't try to be a hero. Don't do anything stupid."

"Why am I being spared?" Zack asked and felt a blow to the back of his head that sent him sprawling. 

"I just said don't speak. That includes questions." Zack stood up. "Hey!"

"Then you must not know exactly what I am because if you did then you would have killed me when you had the chance." Zack turned around to face the girl and she immediately fired. The bullet from the silenced pistol ricocheted from an invisible barrier. She lowered her gun after seeing that it'd be no use. 

"I see. So you are the Guardian. I'm guessing the other one is inside as well?" Zack's eyebrow arched. How would she know about Yu? Before Zack could react he sank into the ground, as if it had turned to thick waters. When only his shoulders and head were above ground it solidified again. "Neither you, nor your Guardian allies are welcomed here." Before Zack could utter another word he sank all the way into the ground and the assassin made for the mansion.

**

Like Zack, Yu himself was unable to fully rest. Being back in Europe after so long, despite having lived there, the land which he had fought crucial battles in felt out of place. 

He gazed out of the window at the moon in the sky. That and the yard below made him think back to an identical view he got when he had stayed at Ergon's castle. And also the terrible memory of him brutally killing Ikuru, his former archenemy at the School of The Phoenix. Although that had been attributed to the Mark of Ergon's powers, Yu still shivered at the thought.

Now he was alone again. He had insisted that Yuki remain behind in Japan for her own safety, not wanting her to get caught up in his shenanigans again. Yet without her, he felt a void within his heart. Reaching inside his shirt, he took out the pendant that Yuki gave him before his departure. Inside was a photo of her, smiling wide like sunshine. Looking at it provided him with some comfort.

His thoughts were disturbed when Yu detected a disturbance within his room. Looking around, he did not see anything, but he knew otherwise than not to trust his senses. He went back on his bed, and pretended to lie down and sleep.

The shadow emerged from the ground, gun in hand. It rose over Yu and aimed at his head. At this range, it would be a sure kill. Her hand pulled the trigger -

BAM!

And Yu was gone, much to her surprise. The next moment, she felt a surge of pain on her wrist as Yu executed nikkyo, a disarming taijutsu technique and forced her to drop the gun. But the assassin twisted away before Yu could do anything else, and spat a cloud of black smoke in his face. However, Yu, familiar with such distraction techniques, turned away and swept his right leg across, catching her.

But the assassin was more agile than he thought, and she recovered and flipped away. She clenched her left fist and a hidden blade sprung out. Rapidly she lashed out at Yu who did all he could to dodge. Seizing the moment, he dived back at the bed and unsheathed his sword which he had kept under his pillow. He met the blade in time and managed to snap it, causing the assassin to gasp in surprise. She double kicked his chest, causing him to fall back.


For a moment, they stared at each other in silence.


“Why do you want to kill me?” Yu asked.


The assassin kept silent, before sinking into the shadows. With lightning speed, she rose back out just in front of Yu and had her hands around Yu’s neck before he can react. He dropped his sword as he struggled to get the vice like grip off him. 

He couldn’t call for help in this situation. The assassin’s strength was too great for him to handle. His vision started to flash and black spots appeared in his sight. Just as the curtain was about to fall on him, Yu tucked his legs from underneath him and lashed out, dislodging the assassin.

He picked up her pistol and fired swiftly, as the assassin grunted, confirming the hit. She was about to make yet another attack, when Zack burst in and tackled her.


© 2014 VincentRayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on July 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014


Author

VincentRayne
VincentRayne

Los Angeles, CA



About
I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time but I don't mind expressing myself through creativity. I love drawing, writing, playing the guitar, bass, violin, and piano. I play video games as .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne