Chapter 6

Chapter 6

A Chapter by VincentRayne
"

Now…I want to change that. I want to be able to fight.

"
Yu almost collapsed with exhaustion after trudging through another area thick with undergrowth. The stronghold of the ninja hadn't changed after all these years. Coupled with his broken right arm, which he had in a sling, made the journey more difficult. But he was determined to reach his destination.

On the way he had acquired a long branch, using it as a makeshift staff. Pushing aside a bush, he gave a sigh of relief. There was the hot spring he had been looking for, famed for its healing properties. So far he hadn't told anyone, even Yuki, about it. 

The incident with Trent had reminded Yu about how weakened he was. He couldn't afford to be in this state any longer. He was a warrior, and should act like one.

With some difficulty, Yu took off his clothing and immersed himself into the spring’s waters, and could feel its effects almost immediately. But the healing would take some time and he wouldn't appreciate outsiders. 

As soon as he felt he could drop his guard, Yu felt a prickly sensation down his neck. His ninjutsu training had taught him not to ignore such signs. Pretending to be comfortable, Yu subtly looked around. It seemed that there wasn't anyone, but he thought he sensed movement amongst a bush.

Someone was definitely out there. Ninja? He had trained with one clan, but there are others, and they may not recognize him.

The silence was deafening, but Yu realized he had no choice. Thinking it could be a ninja ambush, Yu clasped both hands together, middle fingers entwined, thumbs and little finger extended in a V-shape..the Ryu seal, a sign of friendship amongst ninja. He winced as he felt his right arm twitch, but he had to hold the sign so that it was visible.

Yu waited for a response, but again, there was nothing. Had he been wrong?
He’d lowered his head, when a shadow flew over his head, and held a tanto to his throat, so fast that he couldn’t react. Yu remained absolutely still, aware that any further movement could result in his death.

The ninja, dressed from head to toe in shinobi shozuku, spoke.

“Who are you, and how do you know the location of our springs?” 

The female voice sounded familiar to Yu.

“I was a member of a ninja clan here. To be specific, it was Soke’s.” Yu answered confidently. Almost immediately, he felt the pressure of the knife off his neck, and the ninja turned his head to face her. Pulling off her hood, it revealed a striking girl of twenty with spiky black hair and eyes as black as midnight, and Yu’s jaw almost dropped upon recognizing her.

“Hana…long time no see.” Yu said, as Hana grinned in response. Back then, during his ninja training, Hana had been his longtime partner, and Yu knew her as a playful, spirited and cunning girl.

“Its very good to see you too, Yu. And I was beginning to wonder when you will ever pay us a visit back here. Anyway, what are you doing -” pausing, she took a brief glance at Yu’s wounded arm and a look of concern crossed her face. “You’re wounded! Who did this to you?” she asked, enraged.

“It’s a long story. As to why I’m back here after so long? If you got time, I’ll tell you.” Yu said.

“I’m all ears.” Hana nodded, and she listened rapt as Yu gave a brief recount of the events that had happened over the past few years, from him joining Ancora Insitute, to Faith’s abduction, his temporary defection to Ergon, and his eventual redemption to seal humanity’s victory over the enemy. 

After a moment of silence, Hana spoke.

“I didn’t know you’ve been through so much, Yu. I’m sorry I had to hear that.”

“It’s fine. Perhaps the war had made me see what I really was like on the inside. I wasn’t strong enough to be able to protect the ones I love. Now…I want to change that. I want to be able to fight. Otherwise, Yuki would be disappointed with me.”

“I’ve heard you mention her many times. What’s your status with her now?”

“Oh…we got married.” The moment he said that, Yu swore he caught a flash of disappointment over Hana’s face.

“I see...congratulations! Anyway, I should assist you with your wounds.” Hana said, as she put one hand on Yu’s shoulder, and with the other, formed a hand seal for Sha , one of the symbols used in Kuji-In, or ninja healing. 

Yu could feel a warm tingle spread throughout his entire body. He’d recalled how his leg had suffered a nasty gash during a ninja training mission, and Hana used Kuji-In to speed up the recovery process. Astounded by this, he decided to learn the art as well.

After an hour, Hana lifted her hands, sweating from the exhaustion.

“There, that should do for today. Coupled with the healing spring’s effects, your fractured arm should be fully healed within a week or so.”

“You still have healing hands.” Yu said, nodding in thanks. Blushing, Hana leaned in closer.

“I know I’ve said this, but I’m glad to see you again. The clan hasn’t been the same since you left..”

“What’s wrong? Is Soke-san alright?”

“He’s doing fine, but his old age is starting to take a toll on him..”

Yu frowned at knowing his old ninja grandmaster’s fate.

“Don’t worry, he’s strong. We’ll need to elect a successor soon. I should be going back to the village now, or do you need me to guide you back down?”

“No, I can manage, thank you.”

“Alright then. See you tomorrow!” Hana said, and with a leap, she was gone. Yu didn’t even tell her that he had planned to come to the springs every day. Rising out of the waters, he swapped his old sling cloth for a new one, and got dressed before heading back to the village. Today had certainly been eventful.


© 2014 VincentRayne


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on July 27, 2014
Last Updated on July 27, 2014


Author

VincentRayne
VincentRayne

Los Angeles, CA



About
I'm pretty quiet and keep to myself most of the time but I don't mind expressing myself through creativity. I love drawing, writing, playing the guitar, bass, violin, and piano. I play video games as .. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by VincentRayne