When Home is Nowhere: Chapter 6

When Home is Nowhere: Chapter 6

A Chapter by Varissa Darke

      "Hold still!" I squeezed my eyes shut and attempted to hold in all my laughter and remain as still as possible. "But it tickles!!!" Nuala's paintbrush softly stroke my forehead. "Now girls," The art teacher began. "You know this is the last time you'll be able to do this, right?" I bit my lip to hold in a chuckle. "Of course, Ms. Dover." Nuala replied for me.

       "Are you done yet?" I asked cautiously. "Just a second." I could feel the thick, wet paintbrush stroking my right cheek, tracing the outer frame of my face. She began to rapidly poke the line she had just painted, then, it all stopped. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Nuala admiring her "artwork". "Ah! Amazing!" She exclaimed. She set the paint supplies down and grabbed my wrist, pulling me to the other side of the room where a small mirror with a plain wood frame hung. I hink Ms. Dover was planning on painting it later.

          I gasped at the sight. My right eyelid had been painted a deep purple, traced by a jet black outline that swirled around the corner of my eye. A single line overflowed from my eyebrow and created a wave that poured down my cheek. Little purple dots filled in all the gaps between the crests and troughs of the waves. I was a living artwork!!

            "Wow girls! That turned out really great!" We could now see Ms. Dover in the mirror beside us. "Let me get a picture!" She ran back to her desk to get her camera, and Nuala grabbed the nearest paintbrush she could find. When Ms. Dover came back, Nuala wrapped her arm around my shoulder and pressed the brush to my cheek, putting a big, goofy grin on.  I mimicked a shocked face, but after the flash, it wasn't fake.

         For my artwork, I painted a green and black butterfly right beside Nuala's exposed eye. I created a tail for the butterfly, that was two long waves, flowing down the side of her face like the wave she had painted on my face. I took the green and made random strokes following the tail, then created large polka dots around the butterfly. Before the paint had completely dryed, I grabbed some glitter that had been conviniently spilled on the table beside me and sprikled it all over the butterfly.

          Ms. Dover had to get a second picture once she saw what I had painted on Nuala's face, but this time, I had the paintbrush to her cheek with a big goofy grin.

        We got permission to wear the paint the rest of the day. Ms. Dover warned us that, with Nuala's sensitive skin, it would probably create a huge rash, but even then, Nuala didn't care. She was happy to show off the big butterfly her best friend had painted for her. And I was just happy to finally have a best friend.



© 2010 Varissa Darke


Author's Note

Varissa Darke
Sorry if it's kind of confusing or not very descriptive. I'm doing my best. I'll improve one of these days.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Bonding

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Added on June 24, 2010
Last Updated on June 24, 2010


Author

Varissa Darke
Varissa Darke

AR



About
Hi! My name is Abby, or Varissa to some. I am the 6th child of 8. I love music, such as AFI, Cinema Bizarre, Tokio Hotel, Before Their Eyes. (Just to name a few.) I love anime, including Vampire Knigh.. more..

Writing