The Red Curtain Rises

The Red Curtain Rises

A Chapter by Mikael Malmberg
"

Read and find out!

"
The colour red covered my line of sight. Strangely, even when faced with the greatest pain and rage I had ever felt, the colour seemed to bring something humane into my existence. I drifted in my own consciousness, hopeless, bathing in beautiful agony: I was like flotsam at the mercy of a powerful torrent of misery. I couldn't feel, see or hear anything except the colour red. It filled my mind to the brim, like a dam about to burst. Like an endless fall through time and space, I floated; I was slowly drowning into my own anguished existence. Overflowing with misery and pain, I was like a time bomb waiting for a command that I knew would never come.

Though I hoped it would.
...................

Ascribing to myself these wonderfully poetic terms, feeling all the pain and torment in the world and beyond that, breaking all limits, forcing to readjust, like an endless fall-- or a miracle; an endless hallway of darkness where all hope goes to rest, which would upon further inspection render it a hoax. But I know it can't be.

...................

'The body I hid inside the drawer.'

I'm suffering.

My body is withering.

It's dying.

As if I hadn't brought it upon myself with the timing.

...................

"Look."

I remember him turning away from the laptop. He let his boredom show. He'd rather look at the screen than at whatever I wanted to show him. It angered me; it always had.

Everything from here on became slow-mo. I remember the force of impact when my fist connected to his jaw. Then to his nose. His blood on the keyboard, his motionless body crashing against the screen he was only moments ago looking at. Probably at some weird porn.

Then I smashed the laptop against the wall, threw over the table, got in one more kick at his head and left him there.

Lying motionless.

He was evil. Crazy. A weirdo, a lunatic wackaloo, a ludicrous monstrosity of the worst possible kind.

...................

The strangest thing happened to me, today;

a most strange thing indeed.

I thought there weren't any plays left to play;

nor good vices to heed.

But now I know:

Life is play.


...................

CHAPTER 1 THE RED CURTAIN RISES


10/10/13 thursday


The red curtain rises. A play is about to begin. I should've seen it coming. I hadn't thought that there were any plays left. I thought I had already played them all.

I opened my eyes. It took them a while to adjust to the light. When they did, I saw a night stand and a cold, empty room. On the night stand stood an empty bottle, beside it some candles. The smell of incense lay heavily in the air. I knew all that. I called it home.

Another thing I noticed - after my senses returned to me - was my absolute and utter exhaustion. I was sweating, literally sweating beads. My bed was soaked. Probably not from sweat alone. There's a reason for all that incense, you know.

My exhaustion was bone-deep. I could barely force myself to a sitting position. All the while my stomach was curdling like no tomorrow. I don't know why. Don't have the money to see a doctor. I just know that it's causing me to s**t seven times a day and twice a night. I used to be a writer, nowadays I can only write this small diary.

I have no idea what's causing this. Dreams about red curtains. I don't like those red curtains. I don't want to see what's behind them. I don't want the curtain to rise. But I don't want to see the curtain either. What should I do???

10/11/13 friday

Found out about this one clinic. Turns out I managed to get my situation across to the lady at the phone. She said I'd have to come ASAP for check-up. So I went, they diagnosed me with diarrhea. "You'll be put on medication", the doctor said, flashing me one of those tongue-in-cheek-f*****g-greedy-smiles.

Also assigned me to therapy. 8 o'clock in the evening, monday 14th.


© 2015 Mikael Malmberg


Author's Note

Mikael Malmberg
A very... 'diverse' piece. It's meant to be disjointed in the beginning so I can tie up all the loose ends in a climactic way!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A very good opening chapter. I like the way you set-up the chapter. I like the description of location, people and the situation. I like you left a mystery. Was the sickness Malaria? Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very good opening chapter. I like the way you set-up the chapter. I like the description of location, people and the situation. I like you left a mystery. Was the sickness Malaria? Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 28, 2013
Last Updated on January 13, 2015


Author

Mikael Malmberg
Mikael Malmberg

Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland



About
I write on-and-off, but writing is a permanent interest for me. There's never going to be a time when I won't be interested in the art of writing, the arrangement of words, their style and rhythm and .. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Story by Mikael Malmberg