Sliver of the Prize

Sliver of the Prize

A Story by Mikael Malmberg

A smell of grease accompanied the sounds of eating and merrymaking out onto the streets of Helsinki, fresh and furious from one of its 13 McDonalds - restaurants. This particular one resided in its eastern parts, where the quality of life was generally poorer; while to most it was natural to dine in a fast-food restaurant, some had to do it in order to survive - the food came cheap. I watched as an old woman, slowly and with staggering steps, entered that restaurant -  corporate Finland incarnate. Just then, a stream of consciousness came to me in a sudden flash. I didn't see an old woman and a merrily colored restaurant; I saw a spent person, a drained person. Her black clothes, the ones she wore to hide her bulging belly, seemed to reflect the sadness of her position: forced to eat in a fast-food restaurant, forced to destroy her own health, that would've been sad enough for me. But that she most likely didn't even know that she was being used again, drained until she was dead? That broke the camel's back. I walked away, sadder by each step.


She continued inwards, calling to her memory the names of her children and their children. They'd visit her this week, and she'd take the kids dining here. Inside, one of the salesmen cleared a desk for her. It wasn't that busy inside right now - the seventh-to-ninth-graders who frequented the place were probably having class right now. What did it matter? She never minded anybody else than herself in there. One of the salesmen noticed her, smiled, even gave a small bow and called her over to the desk.


"What'd you like?"


She smiled faintly to the salesman, grateful for the service. Old people got nothing nowadays - she had heard they were going to cut all of the retirement funding, as well. What would she do then, where'd she go? To a house full of other old people, taken care of by an undermanned staff with little to no training who didn't care about you? Her smile died quickly.


"I think I would like a Big Mac this time. Also water and salad, if you will."


The salesman bowed again. Oddly enough, she didn't seem to notice.


"On the house."


Now she was taken aback.


"No, I will pay --"


The salesman cut her off with a flick of his hand. She looked frightened for a moment, but then corrected her features.


"On the house, as I said. Please, go find yourself a seat..."


She took a few steps backwards, quite surprised, and went to sit to a cozy side table with a window view onto the street. Soon her meal was brought to her, all jumbo-sized. With the meal, someone else sat down to the table - an old man, complete with white beard and the generally scrawny appearance that many seem to expect from elderly folk. She recognized him immediately.


"You don't have to live in poverty, Jane." The first words. He said them quietly, but there seemed to be a hypnotic quality in his voice. He had clearly practiced it since last time.


"I don't know anything." A touch of frustration in her tone surfaced as she spoke. "And that is the truth."

© 2013 Mikael Malmberg


Author's Note

Mikael Malmberg
The first paragraph is based on a true situation -- the ones after that are just experimenting with ideas and styles. They might not flow together well, which is, for now, a necessary minus.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed this story. It begins with a bit of social commentary and then switches to a fiction story which ends with intrigue. (What did the woman mean in her reply? What does not knowing anything have to do with her poverty? Questions! (:)

As a matter of curiosity, I am wondering what you meant by "corporate Finland incarnate". I like learning about other countries. Were you referring to the old woman or the McDonald's? Do only old people work in Finland?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mikael Malmberg

11 Years Ago

For your question: a bit of the both. Yes, we have many very old workers here due to the child boom .. read more
Nienor Niniel

11 Years Ago

Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 14, 2013
Last Updated on May 14, 2013

Author

Mikael Malmberg
Mikael Malmberg

Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland



About
I write on-and-off, but writing is a permanent interest for me. There's never going to be a time when I won't be interested in the art of writing, the arrangement of words, their style and rhythm and .. more..

Writing
Free Free

A Story by Mikael Malmberg