Divine Forever

Divine Forever

A Story by Niovi

No night should be so cold. The scenery was magnificent, almost magical. The trees were dressed in bridal white and it reminded me of a plain piece of clear, white paper. There was nothing to ruin the simplicity, the enchantment. I felt the blistering cold cut through my thick clothes and my soft skin, and hit hard bone. My body ached, I was exhausted.

However, that peaceful colour gave me courage, hope, that I would be able to reach my destination even if I was alone. I was cold, and the limbs of my body had turned into pitch black - frostbites. I was dehydrated and I felt my blood freeze into my veins. I couldn’t move on, I just couldn’t. No matter how much I tried to convince myself that I was powerful enough for this last journey to safety, all energy seemed to have vanished and I felt my mind weaken until I was too dizzy to even think of a way out.

If only he was here, he could help me through this. Give me courage. But he’s not. He didn’t make it. I remember his last words before he died: “Keep going, you can do it.  Do it for me”.  I felt my world crush as I heard the whisper of his last breath saying: “You’re alone now.”

My mind told me that I can’t go on. But in some magical way, my heart kept beating. Even if I didn’t want it to, it did. I guess it was the only thing in me that still wanted me to keep going on for him. It insisted on beating, pumping blood for my body to keep moving. I need rest, I thought.

 

Suddenly, I felt my legs crush. It was as if every bone in my body had turned to dust, and every drop of blood in my veins had evaporated. I lay there, in the scorchingly painful, cold snow, and suddenly everything was okay. I was calm.

 

I slowly closed my eyes, and to my surprise, instead of darkness, I was filled with a warm and welcoming light. It hurt my eyes, and then, in the middle of it, I saw him. Standing there, just standing and looking at me. He was smiling but I could see grief in his eyes. Disappointment. Perhaps it was because I gave up, because my heart gave up. The heart which had loved him until it ached, until it stopped beating.  As I slowly skidded near him, my lips drew apart and my mind worked to speak the words that slowly and for some strange reason, unwillingly, to come out of my mouth.

 

“I’m sorry” I said quietly, afraid that the sound of my voice would disturb what was happening.

“It’s okay.” He whispered as he wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closely to him and kissed my forehead, “I’ve missed you”.

I smiled, relieved that I’d been forgiven and held him even nearer to me, burying my head deeper into his chest, inhaling his smell, wanting to stay there eternally. 

We started walking, letting the warm light swallow us, directing us blissfully into our divine forever.

© 2009 Niovi


Author's Note

Niovi
First short story I've written. Probably has mistakes and some parts could have been written better. I'm only 16 so I guess I still have a lot to learn.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on January 31, 2009

Author

Niovi
Niovi

Limassol, Cyprus