The Final Steps

The Final Steps

A Story by Val
"

Nidhogg's Rage

"
“...lia, we nee… Please, wake up.” came a familiar voice.
“Lillisette, what’s going on?” questioned Illia as she opened her eyes. Her friend’s tear-stained face came into a blurred view. A dull pain echoing in her head.
“We have to leave! Therion’s holding Nidhogg off. He’s buying time for us to escape. We just don’t have to power to finish him.” Illia tried to get to her feet, but she stumbled to the floor. Blood dripped onto the ground and she winced as fresh waves of pain assaulted her head yet again
“If… if we don’t help him, he’s gonna die on his own.” Illia gasped through the pain. “Where’s my lance? If no one else will help him, I will.” Lillisette grabbed her arm and pulled her.
“We have to get to Foundation and get ready to retreat, besides, you’re in no condition to fight!” Lillisette helped Illia to her feet, but Illia pushed her away and fell again.
“Whether that damned dragon dies now or later, doesn’t matter to me, what matters is that he’s safe. He has put everything on the line time and time again to protect me, so I’m gonna do whatever it takes to keep him safe. Even if it means I have to die for it.” Anguish struck Illia’s face while she struggled to her feet. She spotted her lance and started toward it.
“Don’t go, he wouldn't want this.” cried Lillisette, with tears on her face again. She wanted to stop her with all her might, but she could only watch the dragoon grab her weapon. Illia turned back to her with a smile on her face.
“I know that’s not what he wants, but if I didn’t help him now, when he needs it most, I wouldn’t be Illia, now would I?” Tears welled up in her own face before she turned. “I love you all so much… please, let me do this.” Before Lillisette, could raise her voice in protest, Illia sprinted off in the direction of the Steps of Faith.

At the end of the bridge, the dragon came into view, as well as the Dark Knight.
“Therion!” screamed Illia at the top of her lungs. The dragon reared it’s head, flames spilling out of the corners of its mouth. Illia mustered her strength and leapt high in the air. Therion looked up in time to see a white streak slam into Nidhogg's side, causing the great dragon to fall over, its fiery breath billowing into the sky, rather than toward the Dark Knight.
“Illia, I told Lillisette to get you out of here! Why!? Why would you come back?!” shouted Therion as the Dragoon danced with her lance around the raging beast.
“You’ve always taken care of me, so now it’s my turn to take care of you.” Illia answered. She continued her fight, but it was clear that her movement was still too sluggish with her injuries. She jumped past a claw that came toward her, but the following tail came as a surprise, slamming into Illia.
“Illia, no!” cried Therion, as he helplessly watched the dragoon fly through the air and land behind hin. Anger filled Therion’s thoughts and he continued his attack on the dragon, this time, in defense of his lover.
Illia came to, and saw as both Therion and Nidhogg fought fang and claw, flesh and blood, to come out victorious. With her strength dwindling, she watched helplessly as the battered dragon’s attack took it’s toll on her lover. Out of options, she did the only thing she could do.
“O' Souls of Azure that have come before me, grant me your strength to fell this dragon that is taking my family from me! No prices is too steep, even my life! Just don’t let him die...”
A blue light shot to the heavens from where the dragoon stood. Therion and Nidhogg turned to see the light engulf the small Miqo’te. Lightning built up, and an ethereal dragon could be seen above her. With a powerful leap, she took to the skies, the dragon carrying her higher than she could have imagined. Her thoughts rushed about her, but they all narrowed down together, her family that she worked so hard to keep together. Lillisette. Therion. And with a final breath, she began her descent. Energy pulsated from her lance, carrying the weight of her wishes, the power of her will. Everything that forced her forward shot her like a lightning bolt, letting her lance find its mark on Nidhogg. Therion watched as a column of light engulfed the two. Waves of Aether poured around him, but he stood his ground, until the light disappeared. He looked on hoping to see some sign of her lover, but all that remained from the column of light was Illia’s white lance and the single rose that always adorned her hair.

© 2019 Val


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on August 19, 2019
Last Updated on August 19, 2019
Tags: FFXIV

Author

Val
Val

Writing
Heads or Tails Heads or Tails

A Story by Val


On the Horizon On the Horizon

A Story by Val


The Godslayer The Godslayer

A Story by Val