The Application Conundrum

The Application Conundrum

A Story by UncleFossil
"

LinkedIn article fell into the territory of 2760-2770 word count range. When the influencers were trying to put emphasis on Bic and Xerox Job hunts; the failure to them to understand tech changed 📮

"

This being one of the articles that also picked up a ton of mileage with LinkedIn when this gained a ton of mileage; all those who are advocates of the Bic and Xerox job-hunts.  I turned the view upon it’s head when this article surfaced. Software wise this article was written on Jarte Plus 6.2 then edited with Atlantis Word Processor Lite [Atlantis Nova when the 2002 era was my workhorse word processor.]  The Application Conundrum Redux examines this in the contrast of the Great Resignation; goes with the FictionPress presentation of Local? & Main Street Brevity: Gentrification Examined



Word-Count on article: 2765-range


Those who knew the sheet, it would be all too familiar to those who knew them from when they were sixteen years old, almost hard to believed the template hasn't changed or included details that require modern technology.  In some ways those application are a criticism of technology or education, used in ways to suggest that one had left positions they're still with.

    "Don't say the term, please try to avoid comparing them to how the Rich Text Format is 33 years old -- comparing them to how the pay phone had been phased out."

    "Desktop publishing had morphed over the decades, by 1994 the technology that I was trained on well the typography was there though the rest of them hadn't been there.  Well just yet at the time." 

   It seems that the typeface use with employment resume hasn't changed much either where the typography is deployed in the fonts Arial or Times New Roman, those who studied desktop publishing and graphic design. We know these fonts are too much, even while I constructed my own resume, begrudgedly, on Google Docs I knew what fonts not to repeat. When my classmate and cousin are working on something, the thing they're looking for are a perspective from those whom filled out limitless versions of the same thing.  It seems those who knew what I was talking about when waiting in the testing with Vocational Rehabilitation -- the doctor wasn't really hearing any of word processors outside that of Microsoft.

    The article one is looking at was written on one of those such programs, one that's been around since the first year of the current century though the folks who created the program doesn't provide support for it.  The paper that shows, "Sample Job Application," instead of showing those who are looking for work how to fill those dated documents out, show them how to work with cloud processors and not have them plagiarize in a typing test.  Word processors, though the thing would be of those who work as an administrative assistant to take a memo. Okay those who are reading this I would challenge the idea and take a word processor during company time and produce a submission for a magazine while during their lunch hour.

   This is a right-to-work system that I noticed, doesn't leave much room for working as a freelancer. Freelancer is another term for independent, meaning when you're an independent publisher -- that makes you the boss among the freelancers there.  When explaining my role with Barnes & Noble some might not see freelancer as the immediate thought when looking from the associates though they knew out-of-gate. 

    "Oh I see where you're coming from, you are one of the freelancers -- not just the freelancers you were the one who brought 3 to Read on board.  Then when you mention the author we've got on display, you mean to tell me you did your thesis under her guidance?"

    I am trying to keep a smug look on my face when I pulled the article from Time Magazine she contributed.  So with this the article one is looking right now being done with Windows -- I use LibreOffice when publishing, though when working on articles I use MS Word document clones (programs that use MS Word .doc or .rft as export.)  I do that because I can get the transfer to the word processor to platform with ease, those who are looking from Barnes & Noble and Blurb, Inc -- looked up some of the host's work on the thesis is hosted.  

    As I speak I did apply for the N2 Publishing Group though I am curious if they'd take my cousin on when he's done with his project on The Book Patch, L.L.C.  Those who are with the group, the ability to carry a long form piece could take what they're doing a bit further.  Perspectives among those who seek out a sense where their jobseeker roles become a question, how much information they even want to be spoon fed to them?

    "Could you please avoid asking the how questions?"

    "What's wrong with them?"

     "They don't fit the mode of employee."

     "Oh really?"

     "Really?"

     I am sure a few would want to say something rather explicit on a remark of that nature because the whole thing with those old employment applications -- well they're as dated as the rich text format or the .doc from 2006. 

    The Smithsonian I am not sure if they're being tongue in cheek with this, well knowing as much as one can about the rich text format because this is what Blurb Inc. uses in BookWright.  Okay I know about how PDF is instrumental though I am starting to learn about the PDF A meaning portable document file / archival.  I never knew my role in digital preservation until my project moving to The Book Patch, L.L.C. or later Blurb, Inc, and Barnes & Noble taught me some about the role.

    Digital preservation according to Smithsonian, from 2015 they admitted they haven't though much about until recent years -- some of Victor's artwork had been found on Image Searches and some uploaded to his Yelp page presence.  I am learning some about the cross-platform as those are projects that I used to create anthologies and the magazine; though the thing will be what would be easy cross platform from Android or iOS with Windows 10?  For many years,  up to working with Lulu.com my word processor that was the goto was Altantis Ocean Mind [better known now as Atlantis Word Processor.]  Those who are looking at this, coming no matter what direction coming into it -- with every decade or century there was criticism of technology.  Those who are within a community where the history really wasn't theirs to accept,  "What does he mean by that?"

    "I know what he's suggesting, though no one is wanting to hear any of it because those who suggested him for appropriate employment might been a bit vague.  Though skilled craft, with him would been hard to classify because it's digital technology he works with."

   Their eyes of brevity would often be chased by criticism of technology, frowning upon in-depth thought -- asking one to respond only on close-ended answers.

    "Really?"

   "Think about the articles that were floating around the suggestion to only respond to 'yes sir' or 'no mam,' really?  What the hell you think what kind of history you dragged me into!"

     "Watch your vocabulary!"

    "Don't utter that at me, I know what that means.  I don't appreciate your candor and honesty -- that view is something I don't want to even hear.  Desktop publishing background,  Jack [Kerouac] wouldn't even like you because of your thought is the first and second thought."  

    "Has he thought about staying in a hotel that was a hospital?"

    "Okay not going there."

    "Good don't trivialize what I've done to my face again."

    "You're a writer you should be making enough money to cover damage."

     "What the hell man, how many times have I have to remind you I am a small press -- I barely make even!"

      "Fill out some of these to pay for the damage."

   "What you trying to do, milk me of my disability check. That's highway robbery."

    "I don't even give a flying damn about the technology you work with, we're making sure even when you don't have the technology I'm taking it from where you hold near and dear. Meaning I am trying to get you to pawn your tech to pay for this."

    Does one want to say this or suggest where he should go. I mean I said it in the SMS before blocking him. I promised there no name mentioned but the thing that comes to mind when ridesharing not everyone is loaded or disposable income to take a luxury car then drives those around. 

    He doesn't deserve publicity for trying to make money off the disabled as Uber gave me a refund, though the other drivers I am going to say are a wealth of information when journalistic pursuits.  Between the other drivers it was where I gained the most information about the 1996 era riots and the pawn shop confided that segregation went on into the mid-1990s.

  Overlapping histories with immigrant families growing up and African-Americans were something of an unheard of thing in the birthplace of the Cigar in United States.  The world they might have known was far different than those who grew up in Northeast Illinois, during the 1967 Oak Lawn tornado activity.

    "Could you be kind and embrace brevity when addressing this?"

   "I am sorry not in my nature for brevity and not apologizing for being in-depth.  You can take what I say with a grain of salt or you can put it where the sun don't shine.  Those who may never understand why I will never come to accept those who are critical of technology where they are though I try to meet them halfway -- there is so much one can put up with before they get cussed out."

    "What does he mean by that?"

    "He's criticizing how the Rich Text File is 33 years old!"

   "I don't think that's criticism, he researched this when he was looking up why some contributors insisted on sending ancient attachments.  The criticism is making him fill out employment applications that are in paper with black or blue ink, because it is suggesting he left the places he's currently with when he's a freelancer who been with them a few years."

   The idea of living with an employee mindset is a bit freckless at best. I am sure I am not fabricating any source of this. Though I will say it's fact checked then those who check out Tampa Bay Reporter would see things other news outlets aren't discussing on their version of a local level. The pictures from a storefront is as empty as the Blockbusters by mid-2008. Those who tried to change journalism, end up getting debunked though those who came from the desktop publishing background are those who engage in the debunking when digital archeology is played up and discussed. Turns out the Stephen Glass type fabrications happened prior to the digital age too in Janet Cooke.  The era ombudsman revealed her article was a work of fiction. 

    I am sure there are things that I can come across that might come off so outrageous some would think I was making this up or might come off as far-fetched, speaking with Barnes & Noble showing the links then asking about my contributors at the time. Showing them the film one of them worked on, someone is going to say this as my best friend also came to the conclusion.

     "He might not have the degree to back up what he says, yet even then don't underestimate when it checks out. Even before his access to technology he was like this, he had been around some form of computer since he was 13."

   I'm not critical of technology, well per say just that those who try to use ancient attachment files to work with Lulu.com the fonts don't come out right nor has their margins how they want them.  

    It's always the proverbial how to construct the better mouse trap in the rat race.  Desktop Publishing is almost the way it was in 1993 just more accessible means to work with places on a remote level where the thinking is done within the fingertips -- just not in a newsletter. Desktop publishing before social media and after social media had always been at the root done at a computer, not a typewriter or a word processor without any pixel views.  The perspective and criticism of technology would been in the eyes of the administrative assistants who never saw technology past 1982. 

   Those who use Microsoft Excel would give me flack for being critical of Microsoft, though I learned one new trick with Microsoft and prove I can still work with the software.  I tried to ween myself from these for the most part.

   The field of productivity is often the question when are handed an employment application that looks like a relic of the word processor's past and faded from Xerox.  My classmate before she venture into working with Blurb.com this was what she did though becoming the publisher on little education was the challenge.  Before someone cries foul over the Xerox comment;  those were something I learned how to work with in college though it was a challenge creating a two sided printed page. [My desktop publishing background attributes that was something that became more evident in my older years.]  

     I knew from a young age not to work with the Arial and related fonts, then Times New Roman was something I knew when it came to similar fonts to deploy. I knew that Rich Text Format well is an antique in terms of digital era tech.  As in when is this going to even be phased out-- might repurposed the attachment though I suggest those who are word processor app producers try to work with the AbiWord attachment.  I will vouch because this program was the one which allowed collaboration since that works as Open Source. 

    I knew criticism of technology when I saw it too, "I have new word processor for you."

    "Oh really."

    "Here, you have to sharpen it." 

   "I suggest you do your homework because you cannot get published using a pencil."

    I am almost seeing a criticism in academia because when the word processor became more accessible it was while I was 16 years of age too -- though the word processor I became known and associated with hadn't really been known to the public until the mid-2000s though the forerunner, StarOffice is something I wonder why this hasn't been available to Windows XP.  Okay that will show some history with Windows as I go back almost 23 years using Windows though I had a weird relationship with Apple going back to college because their Mac of record had a single button mouse. 

    The exposure to what is commonly used on laptops now had been there since I was 21 also, the touch feature. These I learned they're known as trackpads, being I'm right-handed I use the mouse or trackpad the same hand I held a pen for years.  So those who wonder why I am critical of the old approach to employment applications -- it is associated with low-to-no-skill fields and those who completed resumes that are lo-to-no-skill set.  I saw one article from recent history, looking at this I would ask the writer why would she encourage those to embrace them again?  Those who examine the employee conundrum or the paradox asking one to give up almost knowing what they know or managed to learn how to do, for what embrace the criticism of technology for a new generation.

    Criticism of technology and criticism of science are age old pursuits in some, though in the atmosphere of Covid-19 suggesting one goes back to using tech from bygone areas.  To examine the analysis of such one would have to placed the technology of existence during the time of Rich Text Format on the table.  How was the newspaper or yearbooks created in 1993 when all this was produced on desktop publishing?  Those who see the Rich Text Format when it was new, what could they have seen when technology had brought desktop publishing into the digital age?

    The invention that came in 1993 isn't going away and as long the print-on-demand model is a print entity someone has to be able to arrange it.  There are those there is truth in this remark, one may not understand tech and those who are offering technology that's software theirs for the using -- if one was on the street and was looking for the means for word processor as a way to pay for meal.  How would they approach the idea that has technology and science on the table?  I mean sit down and think about it; one who came from the public relations background offering up the means to work on a project with their friends and family in charge. 

    Pending how they do on this -- I will send this to N2 Publishing as their tryout work; since then noted they frowned upon actual trained graphic designers working on their publications as in making journalism literate. Though there are those who might be critical of the approach, or go through what they'd personally see as the tied and true methods.  

© 2024 UncleFossil


Author's Note

UncleFossil

Rob Buck via Android-OS Moto. Google Search: Filming Strangers


working on the layout and fine-tuned the edits since it first appeared on LinkedIn -- in that form it also gained traction though when written on Jarte Plus 6.2. The programs were being researched for what my cousin and classmate were working on with TheBookPatch: Scottsdale, Arizona later his mother and neighbor on Blurb.com. There are programs via iPadOS that will allow programs on par with Jarte to allow those to move in -- knowing WritersCafe.org updated for mobile viewing I am still working on detail and the HTML formatting imaging and what not; so bare with me to make sure this is ironed out.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on May 25, 2024
Last Updated on May 25, 2024
Tags: longreads-revisted, older-linkedin-articles, narrative-journalism, people-vs-cassandra-bass, florida-man

Author

UncleFossil
UncleFossil

Joliet, IL



About
I grew up in the Chicago area and a long time Illinois resident. I am published and a publisher of other writers. This is where you will find my samples of investigative journalism along with my wo.. more..

Writing