Chapter 2 - Into Circo delle Meravigli

Chapter 2 - Into Circo delle Meravigli

A Chapter by Igniza

It's Wednesday, March 13th. It's another school day and then as time passed, before I knew it, it was lunchbreak.

I was eating lunch with Kathy and some of her friends who I don't know their names. Not that it's important though, they didn't ask mine.

Last night, I know what I saw and what kind of feeling is this? Something I haven't felt before like, something greater. I have this wonder but I'm scared of the same time. I don't know why and what's going on. That circus doesn't seem like a normal one.

What am I thinking? They're gyspies. Of course they're normal people but, they came from a different world from us. It's not like they're like terrorists or mass murderers. On the hand, who are they really?

"Oh Claire. Earth to Claire." Kathy waved her hand in my face.

"Yeah, what now? Did I miss anything?" I asked.

"No," Kathy answered. "But you looked more dazed than usual. Are you thinking about today?"

"Yeah, I just thought it's not a good idea to go."

"Why not?" She asked and gazed at me with suspicion.

"It's a weird feeling I got. Last night, I think I saw them." I told Kathy what happened that very night.

Kathy got intrigued after hearing what I saw. Kathy smiled reassuring me.

"You worry a little too much. I know you can be right but it's only once every 5 years."

"I'm not worried." Maybe a little worried but, "I'm just concerned that something is going to happen and that circus looks too suspicious."

"I know that, everyone says it's suspicious but nothing happened."

"What about the disapperance last 5 years ago?" I asked reminding the event she told me yesterday.

Kathy paused and then said. "Okay, but it's a little shady. I mean I heard that the gyspies were thrown out of Old Town before but thats over half a century ago. They haven't bothered us yet and they didn't commit any crimes otherwise they wouldn't be here."

"My point exactly which makes it extra shady." Nice job Sherlock. Maybe I should be a lawyer. "Why are they really here for? I mean I don't think they're here for a show."

Kathy sighed and gave me a disappointed expression. "Alright, if you feel that way I won't stop you." Looking like she's been defeated by me. But then, "If you really are not going, I might as well tell Aiden too. He'll be disappointed."

Oh great, it's like she has her secret weapon. Now who's defeated?

"Are you really not coming?" Kathy asked and acted like it's a melodrama. "Aiden is looking forward to it since last night. He said that he wanted to go since it's been a long while that it's the 'three of us togerther'. Poor brother, he was excited and now who's being a downer?"

Sigh. What am I doing to myself? She wins...

Moments later, after school we took a ride Aiden's truck and headed out. I sat in the back with my arms crossed while Kathy sat in the passager's seat.

Why on earth did I have to agree to this? We could have gone to the mall or go to the beach instead. Anything better than going to a freak show. I still can't shake that feeling I got since last night. My heart races as if I'm expecting something to come.

Snap out of it. It's only for one day. Just one day and I'm not going back in there.

"So where is this circus?" I asked, trying to kill waiting time.

"We'll be there soon," Aiden said. "It's just around the fields of Old Town E.L. Mansion."

"Isn't that mansion off-limits? And we're not allowed to be near the property, aren't we?" I asked unsurely.

"The place is supposed to be closed off from public but, for some reason..." Kathy trailed off wandering.

"Reason?" I wondered.

"I actually don't know." Kathy said and thought. "But the circus always camped on there ever since the mansion was built over a century ago."

"Hey, come to think of it." Aiden added. "The only time the mansion ever open the gates to people is when they're here. It's also the closest we can get to the mansion."

"You mean nobody went into the mansion?" I asked.

"No way." Kathy shook. "Nobody goes in there. People said it's haunted but someone is still living in that mansion. They say that it's some ghost."

"Why am I not surprised?" I asked to myself with sarcasm.

"Well, the incident of that girl who disappeared 5 years ago actually did happened around there." Aiden added again.

"She went in that mansion?" I asked intrigued. What a mystery.

"Thats just a rumor that she did. The police did check into it and they said nobody broke into the property." Aiden said.

"I see." Now this is really more suspicious than I thought. So it makes me even wonder now. "Are we there yet?"

"Almost, we should see it soon when we get off the main road." Aiden answered.

We drove down the main road of town a little bit until we made a turn on the graveled pavement which lead to an open gate. As I watched out in the window, we passed through gate which is supposely closed and then parked in the grassy fields where the other cars are parked.

I got out as I looked. I walked up the hill where I saw tents with different colors striped with gold and white align along with the carriages which look like they are set up as stands and cages. There're are signs directing where different entertainments and displays are.

"Hey wait up!" Kathy shouted right behind me.

"Sorry." I said as Kathy and Aiden caught up and waited beside me.

I walked towards the gypsy encampment and then saw what looked like a palace from where I stood. It's behind higher gates than the entrance where we came from. It was somewhat goth-looking with gargoyles on the roofs with some victorian features as well. It didn't look colonial like the other older buildings in Old Town but it really stands out alot.

"Is that the mansion?" I asked.

"Yeah, like the rumors said. It does look haunted." Kathy said as she looked up at the mansion. "Remember, not to go near it cause people do get in trouble when they went up to the gates."

"Alright, I won't." I said. For some reason I wonder as I walked into the grounds. I shook my head as I walked with my two best friends. I shouldn't let this day be a waste.

We walked to the entrance booth before we can go inside.

"Three students." Aiden said to the booth attendant. The attendant handed him three bands. Aiden handed to Kathy and I.

I wore it as it says 'Circo delle Meravigli' which means 'Circus of Wonder' in Italian. Ironically, it is a place with wonder.

We first went into the big tent which is mini zoo of exotic animals before the main show attraction begins. From birds to mammals. Some bugs to mullusks. There are some animals which you don't see in regular zoo. Some of those which are rare to see and some that looked abnormal.

"Look at this albino alligator!" Kathy exclaimed.

I looked at the 4-foot albino alligator. It might be a teen but it so docile and beautiful for a ferocious creature.

"Look at that big giant rat, isn't that huge?" Aiden pointed at the cage.

Kathy got grossed out but it doesn't surprise me.

"Thats a capybara, the biggest rodent we know today. It's not that freaky." I said to him.

"Well, aren't you the animal expert." Aiden nudged my head playfully.

I blushed as I pushed him away. I do like animals but it's not something to be praised about.

"What about that weird zebra-animals?" Aiden asked as he pointed at the strange brown deers with stripes on several parts of its body.

"Those are okapis. They're near-threatened creatures." I said as I looked. "Beautiful, are they?"

"More like weird if you ask me." Aiden said as shrugged. But then something swooped down on his shoulder. "Oh my god!" The creature went down his back to his pelvis as Aiden tried to shake it off. It leaped off him and stood beside a cage.

I looked and saw a white-faced little monkey wearing a little brown shirt and a green vest. "Oh, thats a white-headed capuchin. Cute isn't it?"

"And sneaky, how on earth didn't he get on my shoulder?" As Aiden wiggled as he checked around his body. Then he touched his pants and his pockets. He noticed something missing. "My keys!"

The monkey held the key in its' hand and went out of the tent.

Aiden ran towards the exit. "Come back! Give me my keys!"

"Hey Aiden!" I ran after him.

Kathy saw us leaving the tent. "Hey where are you going?" Kathy shouted.

We left the zoo and chased after the monkey thief. The monkey went straight and then a left around the encampment. Aiden didn't lose sight of the monkey and I managed to keep up with him.

The monkey went towards a young man in gypsy clothes with dark purple vest over a white shirt and brown stash. It crept up on his shoulder.

"Navid, what do you have there?" The man asked.

"Excuse me." The man turned to Aiden who was trying to breathe. " Your...monkey, has my keys."

I slowed down and stood behind behind Aiden. I took a moment to breathe as the man looked at his monkey.

"Navid, didn't I tell you to stop taking people's belongings?" The man took the keys from the monkey and handed to Aiden. "Sorry, he didn't mean any harm but he can be so michievous especially to visitors."

"It's fine, I'm just glad I got my keys back." Aiden said to him.

"You got a pretty smart friend, who knew it would happen?" I said to him

"Don't praise the monkey." Aiden warned me.

"Yes, Navid can intelligent but sometimes too much for his own good." The man said. "I should apologize again for not disciplining him enough. Maybe I could make it up to you."

"You really don't have to. Apologizing is enough." I really can't take advantage of this little incident.

"No, I insist. You are our guests and you should have a pleasant experience while you are here." The man insisted.

"Come on, Claire. Just don't let the guy feel guity now." Aiden nudge my shoulder as he looked at me.

"Alright, if you really insist." I gave in.

"Good, I should introduce myself. I am Eron Aquilino, I'm the magician of this cirus."

"Nice to meet you. I'm Claire and this is my friend Aiden." I introduced ourselves.

I looked briefly as I shook hands with Eron. I couldn't but look at his unique complexion. His sharp facial features from his bright blue eyes slightly covered by his curly brown hair to his gentle smile. Never thought I saw a foreigner or a gypsy to be this amazing. And from the way she speaks he must be from Italy.

That it until I remembered something or someone. "Wait, where's Kathy?" I asked Aiden.

Aiden thought to himself and tilted his head a bit. "I uhh... I think we left her at the mini zoo when we're running. Opps, sis is gonna be mad at us for leaving her behind."

"Please, do not worry." Eron reassured us. "We shall find her and once we do I'm going to let you see our next main show for free."

"We were going to see that. Are you serious?" Aiden asked.

"Of course. I do not lie." Eron nodded.

"Cool, we get to see a show for free." Aiden acted like a excited little boy.

We walked back to the mini zoo and found Kathy standing in front of the entrance.

"Where on Earth did you guys go?" Kathy asked frustratedly.  "You guys just ran off without telling me. How could you guys just leave me like that?"

"Sorry. It's the monkey's fault" Aiden said.

"I don't care whose fault it is, you guys just left me here!" She exclaimed.

"Well the good news is that, we got to see the show we're going to see for free." I said to her.

"Really? How did you guys do it?" Kathy smiled at us wondering.

"It's just a way to apologize for what happen." Eron said to her.

"Oh, this is Eron and the monkey is Navid." I introduced them.

"I see. Now I think I know what's going on." Kathy said knowing as she looked at us.

"Well now that you all are here," Eron said to us. "Let us go now to the show. It should begin within 10 minutes.  I will escort you inside for good seating."

We followed Eron towards the largest tent in the encampment. I then felt a little strange. I looked at the mansion again and couldn't help but felt like someone is watching from there. I shook my head, maybe I'm imagining things. I caught up with my group hoping that this feeling could shake off.


© 2013 Igniza


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on March 27, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013
Tags: Fiction, Adventure, Thriller


Author

Igniza
Igniza

Oakland Gardens, NY



About
Just a writer who likes to daydream, inspire with many things and so on. I just like to write what I imagine. Mostly fiction. more..

Writing
Source Source

A Book by Igniza