Just Another Dream

Just Another Dream

A Story by TinyWriter
"

This is for the writing contest. Coffee Shop FIRST Sentence Challenge (Short Story). Sometimes dreams feel a bit too real.

"
He realized, everything around him was exactly how it happened in his dream, except, the boy wasn't there to kiss him and take him away to a far away paradise. He was there to get coffee, with his girlfriend. He ran his fingers through his messy black hair, placing a fake smile to hide the hurt he felt. "Welcome to Conner's Coffee House, what can I get for you two?"
They both looked at the menu. "Troy right?"
"Yeah. How'd you know?" He could already feel the warmth in his cheeks rising. 
"Name tag." The red head smiled, showing his pearly white teeth.
This was the first time they had said anything to each other, apart from the kind of coffee he would be ordering. "Right." Troy said, feeling a bit embarrassed. They both ordered the usual. He would always get the White Chocolate Mocha with a shot of mint. She would go back and forth between a caramel or mocha latte. Although he didn't care about what she liked. It sounds rude. He knows that, but it's nothing against her. She is the only thing stopping him and Kyle from being together. Well, that and he is probably straight. Minor set back. He thought. Troy kept taking orders and went through the next thirty minutes watching Kyle and how he goes about interacting with people. What makes him laugh or feel uncomfortable. Again, yes. He knows how creepy that is, but he can't help himself. He was gorgeous and he had to get to know him. 
"Troy! Break time! Tim, take his place at the front desk."
"Yes sir." He said under his breath before going in the back and lighting a cigarette.
"Earth to Troy! Come in Troy."
"Huh?"
"You were staring into space for a good ten minutes dude. You alright?"
"Yeah. Thanks Gina." He didn't mean that, he was having a day dream about Kyle again. The more he thought about Gina interrupting it, the angrier he got. It was weird. "See ya inside Gina." He made his way in as Kyle was walking out. "Damn." 
"No cursing Troy!"
"Sorry boss." He sounded sincere so the bigger man let him off with a warning. 
The rest of the day went by way to slow, just like normal. It wasn't until it was getting to the end of his shift when he noticed a pair of sunglasses that were left on a window sill. He took his apron off before clocking off and heading over so he could take it to the lost and found, but bumped into a very, muscular man. Turning around, his green eyes met icy blue ones that were mesmerizing. "Sorry um... Troy. I left those awhile ago. Amanda figured I left them here."
Of course they are his. This is your moment Troy. Tell him what you think about him. No, too much. Play it cool. "No problem. You're right on time, I was just about to turn these in."
"Is that so? You weren't planning on just taking them for yourself?"
"Uh. What? No. I would never- I-"
"Relax dude. It was a bad joke. Thanks for finding them. See ya around?"
"Ye- Yeah. For sure." 'For sure? Who the hell says for sure anymore?'
"Bye." Was the last thing he said before walking out. 
It was dark now, he had decided to stay and clean for Gina. Even if he was mad at her, again. For no real reason. He heard a ding that echoed through the hall. "Sorry, we're closed."
"Surely you can make an exception."
He knew that voice. He's heard it every say for the past couple months. "Kyle? What are you doing here?"
"I came to see you dummy." He said as he fixed his man bun. Troy was drawn toward the man and they were close now. Kyle grabbed the mans hips and pulled him impossibly close. Their lips so close that their breath would tingle their lips. 
"What about Amanda?"
"What about her? It's you I want." He said before closing the distance. Their lips met and it was like he could breathe again. Kyle was the oxygen he didn't know he was lacking. "How is this happening?" He asked as soon as he needed to stop for air. His lips swollen and red. 
"Come away with me. Some place far away. I'll take care of you."
"Really? You would leave everything just for me?"
"Last stop heading for Lindbergh and Watson!" 
"Um... What?" Troy asked confused.
"Last stop heading for Lindbergh and Watson!" 
"Excuse me sir." a woman tapped Troy on the shoulder, waking him up. "This is the last stop, ya gotta get off here."
You've got to be kidding me. It was just a dream. "F**k."
"Excuse me?"
"Not you. Sorry and thank you for waking me up."
He got home and turned the TV on to whatever show was left last time and slouched on the couch. He didn't even remember leaving work and getting on the metro. He had to get to know Kyle, but for now, the dreams will have to do. He shut his eyes as he awaited another visit from the man of his dreams. 
  

© 2016 TinyWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Really cool short story! Have you submitted it yet? There are a few things that you could do that would really make it stand out. I'm not sure if you have a word limit, but adding in details of horror into the dream sequence would peak interest. Once the dream is ending, right after "we're closed", maybe start giving Our narrator knows, KNOWS he cannot have this dream guy. Though he still hopes for it, he knows deep down he'll never him, make that come out in the dream. Then, slowly make the dream a nightmare and dig deep into your own insecurities and project them on the narrator. Judges in writing contests want to see things they never have. They want to pieces to make them smile, cry, invoke fear, whatever! Make them feel something, and fro this piece, I suggest psychological and subconscious fear.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Really cool short story! Have you submitted it yet? There are a few things that you could do that would really make it stand out. I'm not sure if you have a word limit, but adding in details of horror into the dream sequence would peak interest. Once the dream is ending, right after "we're closed", maybe start giving Our narrator knows, KNOWS he cannot have this dream guy. Though he still hopes for it, he knows deep down he'll never him, make that come out in the dream. Then, slowly make the dream a nightmare and dig deep into your own insecurities and project them on the narrator. Judges in writing contests want to see things they never have. They want to pieces to make them smile, cry, invoke fear, whatever! Make them feel something, and fro this piece, I suggest psychological and subconscious fear.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

464 Views
1 Review
Added on December 6, 2016
Last Updated on December 6, 2016
Tags: love, romance, dreams, fantasy, gay, coffee

Author

TinyWriter
TinyWriter

Crestwood, MO



About
Born at a very young age. A caffeine dependent life form that loves to write. I'm a writer of different genres. Nothing is outside my comfort zone, so my stories can go from very heartwarming to gory .. more..

Writing
Savior Savior

A Chapter by TinyWriter