Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven

A Chapter by Tina Kline

    Miss Feather knew she couldn’t hide the fact that one of her children wasn’t full Wolf Person, but had Other blood in her veins. She felt relief that Quetzal decided he would be Jennifer’s champion. She sat at the kitchen table with a wooden bowl of freshly cubed raw meat and a glass of fresh cold water in front of her. But she couldn’t eat. She’d had hardly any appetite since Armand forced her to return to the Wolf People World.

    She heaved a tired sigh. She wanted to return to her life on the other side of the Misty Grey Veil. She had no life here now. True, she still desired Armand but he had moved on. She had moved on too. She had an apartment with all the comforts humans were accustomed to and some of them were really nice.

    Miss Feather had lost some weight since being back. Moonshine fussed over her, trying to get her to eat but Miss Feather could only manage a few painful bites. She gazed out the kitchen window onto a dark snow draped Village. But the weather was slowly changing. The snow was starting to melt and what fell from the heavily overcast sky no longer sticked.

    The Wolf People of the Village had accepted her return even though Miss Feather rarely went out amongst them and she kept her Wolf Children close even though there was little worry anymore of kidnappings. Since Packs had become friendly that practice had ended.

    Alex and Jennifer had done most of their growing in the Human World so weren’t like the other Wolf People in manner and custom. Wolf Children grew rapidly so Alex and Jennifer had only a little further to go before maturity.

     Right now Quetzal was playing with both Jennifer and Alex just outside the house in the melting snow. She smiled at hearing their laughter. Miss Feather had made a cap for Jennifer modeled after ones she had seen in magazines in the Human World called stocking caps for Jennifer to wear to cover her ears. That way there would be no accidental display of their difference, at least Miss Feather hoped. The cap had been made from elk hide and it had been simple and quick to make. Miss Feather remembered her sewing skills acquired when she had been an immature Wolf Person.

     Moonshine entered the kitchen and sat down at the table. She smiled at her Wolf Daughter. “Is it so hard Miss Feather to be back here?”

    Miss Feather looked at her Wolf Mother. “Yes, Mom. I gave up on this world. My children were born in the Human World. They are more like humans than Wolf People. We have a life there.”

    “But you belong here.”

    “No, not anymore. Maybe I belong no where, like Jennifer.”

    “You belong here with your Wolf Family. And now that you’ve been here a while Mr. Black says soon we will introduce Jennifer to the Pack. They’ve had some time now to get use to Alex and Jennifer.”

    Miss Feather sat back in her chair. “All this isn’t necessary. Time matters in the Human World. If I don’t get back there with my children I will lose all I have there.”

    Moonshine looked sad for a moment then smiled. “The Human World is only a place for Wolf People to hunt humans, nothing more. Here, we have all the time there is. We never run out of it.”

     Miss Feather smiled wistfully. “That is true Mom, that is true.”

    A knock sounded on the door. Mr. Grey who was in the living room went to answer it. Miss Feather knew who it was and felt a painful cringe inside. Moonshine patted her on the hand. “Talk to Armand. Forgive him. Alex needs to know who his Wolf Father is and Armand needs to be with his Wolf Son.”

    Miss Feather looked away and didn’t answer.

    “Hello Armand.” They heard Mr. Grey greet Armand.

    “I’m here to see Miss Feather.”

    “She’s in the kitchen with Moonshine. Go on in.”

    “Thank you.” said Armand.

    As Armand entered the kitchen Moonshine got up. She greeted Armand then said, “I’ll go see how the Wolf Children and Quetzal are getting along.”

    After she left Armand sat down at the table. He looked at the wooden bowl of cubed meat that wasn’t so fresh now. It was obvious it had been sitting out for a while.

    “I wish you would eat Miss Feather.”

    “I wish a lot of things too, Armand.”

    “I want to make things alright, for all of us.”

    “You should have left us alone.” Miss Feather refused to look at him.

    “Alex needs to know I am his Wolf Father. I need him with me.” He said.

    “I need a lot of things too Armand.” Her voice was bitter.

    Armand reached for her hand but she jerked it out of his reach. She didn’t need to be looking at him to know what he was doing.

    “Don’t be this way Miss Feather. I’m sorry for what happened.”

    “Sorry doesn’t change what happened to me Armand. You abandoned me. You Mated with another. You’ve made your choice.” She hissed. “Now you’re trying to take away my choices.”

    “You are not going back to the Human World!”

    “The hell I ain't!” She snarled, now turning in her chair to face him.

    They both stared at each other in anger. Drifting into the house were the excited voices of Alex and Jennifer having a good time in the melting snow with Quetzal. They could hear Moonshine’s voice too as she joined them. Beyond that sound was the sound of the Village as the Wolf People went about their lives. And further off came the sound of a pack of coyotes singing.

    “Using those human terms again, are we Cynthia?”

    With a shriek Miss Feather lunged forward and slapped Armand hard across his face. “B*****d!”

    Armand didn’t move but stared at her in shock as she sat back down. Then he smiled and started laughing. He leaned back in his chair and gave into his laughter. Miss Feather stared at him, surprised by his reaction then she was laughing too.

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Slapping Armand sure probably felt good. He deserved it anyway.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Now that Armand and Miss Feather got some of the tension between them out of the way, maybe they'll make some progress on their problems.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awww.... laughter is a great start... the two of them deserve their happily ever after! Hopefully they can patch things up and stick together through whatever hell Mr. redwood is planning on raising!

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 4, 2010
Last Updated on October 4, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline