Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

A Chapter by Tina Kline

    Everyone stared at Jennifer with various degrees of stunned and dumbstruck expressions on their faces. No one wanted to believe what they were seeing. It was just too unacceptable to them. There had to be a mistake.

    Jennifer’s lower lip started quivering. A tearful look came over her face and she buried her face against her mother. She made a little whimpering sound.

    “She’s afraid.” Miss Feather said. “With reason, I believe.”

    Quetzal hovered near, desperately wanting to take Jennifer back. No way would he let anyone hurt her.

    “Well…” Mr. Black said. “This is quite the dilemma.”

    “Yes it is.” agreed Mr. Stalker.

    “My Daughter, it wasn’t your fault and it’s not Jennifer’s fault either.” Moonshine said.

    “Those filthy creatures. Those Others. We should go into the Human World and hunt every last one down and kill them.” said Mr. Grey.

    “Don’t worry Miss Feather.” said Miss Snow. “We’ll work this out.”

    “Of course we will.” agreed Pine.

    Louise went to where Miss Feather was sitting and put a gentle hand on her shoulder. “We will work this out.” She said. Louise noticed Quetzal hovering over Miss Feather and Jennifer and was curious about what that was about. She looked at Mr. Black and he shrugged.

    “I don’t know.” said Miss Feather. “I think myself, Alex and Jennifer are better off living in the Human World. We already have a life established there.”

    “Yeah. I want to go home.” Alex said.

    “NO!” roared Armand. “Explain to your…Wolf Child…the other…that this is now your home. All three of you.”

    Miss Feather turned a cold hard look on Armand. “You have no say Armand. No one here does. I am a member of no Wolf Person Pack. I am free.”

    Armand was suddenly bending over her. She shrank back. Jennifer made a scared sound. Alex was on his feet but Mr. Thunder held him back.

    “Armand.” said Mr. Black in an authoritative tone of voice.

    Armand took a deep breath, told himself to calm down and took a couple steps back. “You cannot leave Miss Feather. You are a Member of this Pack. And you will not take Alex away from me.”

    Miss Feather looked at him with hurt in her eyes. Then looked away. She took a couple deep breaths and sniffed several times, fighting tears.

    “I think Miss Feather ought to come home with us now.” Moonshine said. “She needs to rest and so do her children.”

    “What about the Other Child?” Mr.  Stalker asked. “She might not be safe in the Village.”

    “I will protect her!” Quetzal announced suddenly. “I will guard her with my life! I wish to join your Pack Mr. Black so I can dedicate myself to Jennifer!”

    Now everyone stared at Quetzal in stunned silence. Louise understood Quetzal’s hovering over Miss Feather and Jennifer now. It was Jennifer that he was interested in.

    “Well…” said Mr. Black again. “Your request certainly is unexpected Quetzal.”

    Quetzal looked at Jennifer huddled in Miss Feather’s arms, looking small, frightened and vulnerable then back at Mr. Black. “Will you accept me as a Pack Member?”

    “Quetzal.” said Armand. “Are you sure?”

    “Of course Armand. I’ve never been surer about anything in a very long time.”

    “Okay then Quetzal. You’re mature so the decision to leave your Pack and join another is entirely yours. I accept you as a Pack Member. It is your duty to inform your former Pack Leader, Mr. Stonevalley and anyone else who needs to know.”

    “Thank you Mr. Black. I will inform Mr. Stonevalley and anyone else who needs to know right away.” Smiling broadly Quetzal gazed down at Jennifer. He felt happy, really happy, and so carefree. He hadn’t felt this elated in he didn’t know how long.

    Miss Feather looked up at him a bit darkly. “Don’t get too pushy.” She warned him. “But I will be appreciating your protecting Jennifer.”

    “Hey. I know my boundaries.” Quetzal said.

    “Jennifer will be mature soon enough.” said Mr. Thunder.

    “That she will be.” agreed Armand.

    “Now, how about I take Miss Feather, Alex and Jennifer home.” Moonshine tried again.

    “Enough talking for now. We’ll make sure no Wolf People notice Jennifer’s Other heritage until the proper time.” Mr. Grey said.

    Suddenly Armand felt anxious. If he let Miss Feather go he was afraid he’d never have her within his reach again. But he couldn’t take her to his house. Miss Fern would return from her Wolf Parents home in Mr. Redwood’s Village at any moment. She might even be home now. Every Wolf Person probably knew Miss Feather was back and with children. “We will talk later Miss Feather.” He said.

    “We have nothing to talk about.” Miss Feather said to him.

    “Yes we do. Alex.”

   Miss Feather glanced quickly at Alex, fighting a wave of tears again. Yes, Alex. She thought. Armand’s Wolf Son. There’s no denying it. Armand is Alex’s Wolf Father. “Okay, we’ll talk later about Alex.” Miss Feather stood, holding Jennifer and reached a hand out to Alex. “Come along Alex.”

    Mr. Thunder let Alex go. “Where are we going now Mom?” he asked. “Home?”

    “No. To your Grandparents home. Meet your Grandma and Grandpa.” She introduced Moonshine and Mr. Grey to her two children with a strained smile.

 



© 2010 Tina Kline


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

miss fern is not going to be thrilled

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wanted to keep reading. Your characters really pull me in!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome chapter. Looks like Miss Feather and her children are slowly but surly being pulled into life with the Wolf People whether Miss Feather wants this or not.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. Interesting turn of events. I don't think I would've stayed and kept my children there, especially Jennifer. Leaves us wanting more of the story.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

484 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 11, 2010
Last Updated on September 11, 2010


Author

Tina Kline
Tina Kline

OR



About
When Venus gets too close catfish have been known to come up out of the water onto the shore, feed awhile, then go back in. It's business as usual in the Apocalypse. And business is very good right.. more..

Writing
1 1

A Chapter by Tina Kline


2 2

A Chapter by Tina Kline


3 3

A Chapter by Tina Kline



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan


Poetry Poetry

A Poem by Tate Morgan