I The Prey

I The Prey

A Story by T579
"

Well it's an unfinished story temporarily, but so far it is about a man somewhere in his mid thirties that is suffering emotionally from a severe loss of his wife. Which you "the readers" will find.

"

Prologue

Death Has Arrived

 


  Life is full of surprises, we spend so much time planning for the present and the future, in hopes to make a better and brighter outcome for ourselves. We live our lives through the lenses of ignorance day after day, never once thinking or believing that anything could go wrong. That everything in our world is perfect, flawless… huh… I have to say that we are definitely a species who have chosen to live blindly, and every time we do we suffer the consequences.  

 

    I should know better than anyone, what it’s like to lose everything… to have your entire life flipped upside down without warning… to be striped of every ounce of hope, and at the same time trying to keep from falling off the edge. Truth is my mind, body, and soul cannot go any further… my time here has come to an end. The remembrance of me, my beloved and the once brightly lit home full of joy and laughter will be short lived in the hearts and minds of others and then soon everything will go back to normal.  

     

    It’s almost as if we never even existed… invisible to the “naked eye” like a ghost lingering in a place it can’t escape from. That is exactly, what I have been experiencing since the day you were misplaced out of my life for three long, dreadful years. It’s been difficult trying to keep my hope alive or at least some shred of it. But in the end your long absence from this town we used to call our home has sadly, numbed the hearts of everyone here. People began growing bored and tired of the search, as time passed so did they leaving me behind empty as I slowly began to fade into the shadows. Yeah, it’s been really… I… don’t know what to do anymore other than face the worst case scenario, THE HARD… COLD… TRUTH!  

     

    So why is it so hard, after all I have nothing to lose right…? Whatever I may have had before that was worth my life, worth everything has already been gouged from my heart, a heart with no longer a purpose or a meaning to live. Just an empty shell slowly disintegrating little by little, piece by piece until there is absolutely nothing left.  So why…! I mean, all I have to do is just close my eyes… think of a happy place, then put the weapon to my head and simply let go of the trigger. I don’t understand… why am I still here? What am I waiting for?  

     

  

  I took a deep breath slowly inhaling and exhaling, I began counting to ten when suddenly the ground beneath my feet started to quake and my beloved family portraits started falling from the walls. The ceiling above me began to quickly tremor almost on the verge of collapse. I turned around to get a good look of what was taking place outside, but before I was given the chance… death had finally, taken hold of me in the shape and form of massively huge waves of water crashing and tearing apart every house before it eventually, swept away mine… Do you think you could ever forgive me for killing you?

    


        
 THE DREAM
(CH1. Part One)



     It happened again… the dream. It awakened me out of my sleep in the middle of the night like it normally does. The constant huffing and puffing as my body lays hunched over on one side of the bed, struggling to inhale the most liberating element on earth we call “air”. Also, the never ending immersion of bodily secretion soiling my clothes and sheets almost every single night. So, with that I get up time and time again to wash away the remnants of sweat that has become a mere reminder of my precious past in which I failed to protect. My calamity has bestowed a blighted desolation upon me that I must agree is a just sentence to serve. Why wouldn’t I be anything, but a “criminal” especially after all that has happened? The car accident, the debris and shards of glass covering every inch of the crime scene within its radius or so it seemed. 




   
It’s been three years since then and still no sign of her, no trace of her presence anywhere, nor the sound of her voice or even the shuffling of her footsteps… absolutely nothing. And here I am a killer “scot free” when it’s clear that I should be the one punished by death not her. It all seems so unreal like a “dream” that anyone expects to wake up from, even now. However, I know that no matter how badly, I want to dissipate the horror of that dreadful day and instead, fill the enduring emptiness with light and happiness. I know that no matter what, nothing will ever be the same nor will I ever be the same man I once used to be.  

     

    Every day I ask myself what I could have done differently to change the past. At this point in my life I guess it really doesn’t matter what I could have done differently or not. Truth is what happened has already come and gone and along with it my beloved Leah. Since the day that flipped my life upside down I have done everything possible to bring back normalcy and sense into my life but it was useless. I don’t understand anything anymore just like my dream that always finds its way resurfacing back in my mind. I’m always standing in the part of the house where fond memories are mostly, made and shared. Where pictures of loved ones are mainly, displayed… in my dream I’m always standing there ready to consume my last breath… ready for all my pain and suffering to be over.  

    
   The dream is my mirror that reflects my deepest and darkest emotions buried within myself. There used to be a time when I would inflict my callous mentality upon those whom resorted to madness as a solution to their bottomless void… their way out. “Now look who’s talking” back then I would not have even entertained the thought of such a disgraceful ideology, but now it seem to be my only option to alleviation. People keep telling me things will get better and eventually, I will move on, but I just can’t see that becoming a possibility when Leah… my wife made everything in my world normal and perfect.   



Your tear drops on the surface appears to be so perfectly full as they heavily stream down your face. However, every drop of those tears you shed from your eyes are as empty and hollow as your beating heart... sweet dreams.  

© 2015 T579


Author's Note

T579
Please leave any comments and of course constructive criticism of what I have posted so far and remember this story is unfinished, thank you all.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very few stories portray depression in such vivid detail, dark but with purpose, well done.
~Skela~

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 30, 2015
Last Updated on January 31, 2015

Author

T579
T579

Houston, TX



About
Hi everyone! I am a novelette writer struggling to get my work noticed in the social media. So I'm hoping that maybe this site will become the "trigger" that will set things off for me with a good sta.. more..