They bought an accordion

They bought an accordion

A Story by BlackBird
"

They're were just sitting there in front of the instrument gazing down on it, until he breaks the silence "What have we done?", without moving a finger, she responds "we bought a freaking accordion!"

"
_How do we play this thing? he asked.
_It can't be that hard! she replied, you just gotta bend the thing and push the bottons, right? we're adults, we can figure it out!
He looked at her with certainty and said "yes we can", she smiled, hit him gently on the head "what, you're freaking Obama now?".
After a while, they're were just sitting there in front of the instrument gazing down on it, until he breaks the silence "What have we done?", without moving a finger, she responds "we bought a freaking accordion!", and they break into laughter.
she took a puff from cigarette, and asked:
_Hey, remember that time when we just stood there looking at old cameras, and typewriters?
_Of course i do!
_What do you think we were so fascinated about?
He leaned back and said "maybe it's the stories behind them that pulled us! the lifes they've changed, moments and thoughts they've captured...and she jumps up "Maybe it's like pandora's box all over again!"
_what do you mean?
_It's like pandora's box all over again, but in reverse, you see? we lock our demons in them eventualy, whether it's on film, photograph or in words, instead of being tormented between sciamachy and numinous.
_But we like our demons! he said, she leaned back besides him and replied "no we don't! nobody likes their demons!
_I guess we just get used to them.
_Yup, and we romanticize them, just like many agonies in our lifes.
He looked at her, giggled and said "I'm your demon"
_You're the antichrist! and she laughs.
_I'm the antichrist? well, you know what that makes you, don't you?
_what?
_The w***e of Babylon!
She bursted into laughter and said " Yes, I'm the lady in red"
They spent two hours, between blowing smoke to the ceiling, playing different notes on the instrument and fantasizing about what could've been and what could be, but, with the last shade of smoke disappearing from the ray of sunlight sneaking through the gap between the curtains of this black and blue contrasted room, he asked her:
_Why an accordion?
_Because honey, an accordion is, in a way, a one man orchestra instrument, it's a little difficult to deal with, so it often gets rejected, it also tends to make you reminisce memories and has the most heart touching sound.
He got up, loocked back at her saying:
_Yeah, so?
_That's us, that's who we are, you and i and a few other people, we often get called misleading names like rebels, loners, crazy, artists...but we're just abandoned accordions honey, left rusting in a land of distorted holograms.
_Rusting accordions? kind of depressing!
She got up and said:
_I guess so, you're the antichrist, I'm the the w***e of Babylon, and there's much more demons lost out there, but you're my demon.
He looked at her smiling and said "And you're my Babylonian lover".
As they hugged each other, the accordion was just staring at them thinking "Oh God why?, why is it always crazy weird people that pick me?...Freaking hipsters!"hj

© 2015 BlackBird


Author's Note

BlackBird
Some feedback is very welcome, thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on February 25, 2015
Last Updated on February 25, 2015
Tags: short story, music, accordion, conversation, couple, friends, demons, art, society

Author

BlackBird
BlackBird

Casablanca, Morocco