Chapter One ~ Years Later - Magic Changes

Chapter One ~ Years Later - Magic Changes

A Chapter by K. J. Covrett
"

Next chapter to 'Magic Changes' is here! This takes place 6 years after the prologue.

"

Laura woke up, her back stiff and sore as usual. Things had changed in the last six years. Laura was now at the age of ten, and soon to be eleven the next day, but she knew her Stepmother and Stepsisters wouldn’t care. They didn’t for her last five birthdays. Laura had hoped that she would get to celebrate with her new family and be happy on her birthday… but, instead she is stuck with doing chores such as cooking all three meals for her family, cleaning the house, feeding the animals, and so on. Her stepfamily just hated her, but she knew she would have to live with it.

Laura had an desire to go and live with Uncle Peter, but, a year later after Peter left, he died; murdered to be exact. But what was strange is that all that was found of him, was just one finger.

Laura brushed the hay out of her hair. She now slept in the barn, since Evelyn stole her room. All she had to keep warm in the night was a sack. The only thing she had that she she thought made her unique was her scar on her forehead, shaped just like a lightning bolt. She didn’t know how she got it. It gave her Uncle Peter chills for some odd reason.

She stood up and stretched. She then got into her work clothes, which were just rags. Laura walked and filled buckets with animal food, then put the buckets on her yoke. She put the yoke onto her shoulders, they ached in pain. Laura walked out to feed the animals, needing to work quick due to her stepfamily demanding her to fix breakfast. If she didn’t get them right away, or if she didn’t finish feeding the animals, she would be punished with extra chores, which was normal since they punished her for every small wrong thing that she did.

As she just finished feeding the animals, she heard a yell from the house that sounded like her stepmother.

CINDERELLA! GET IN HERE AND MAKE BREAKFAST.

Laura rolled her eyes. “Yeah yeah, I hear you, shut up.” Laura muttered to herself. She quickly walked to the house, then walked into the dining room. “Morning Stepmother, Evelyn, Faye.”

“About time!” Evelyn snapped, being impatient as usual. Laura said nothing in reply. “I want my usual.”

Laura felt like a waitress with rude customers. “Okay… Faye, what do you want?” Laura replied calmly. No reply. “... Faye?”

Faye was in her book as usual. Evelyn, being her evil self, grabbed the book and chucked it out of the room. “Go on Faye, what do you want?”

“Oh, erm, eggs, the usual way I have them.” said Faye’s highish pitched voice, Faye shot a look at Evelyn, who just smirked.

Stepmother then said, “And I’ve have my usual also, Hotcakes.” Her voice cold and evil sounding.

“Yes Stepmother.”  Laura said. She walked into the kitchen.

Laura bit her lip. Just stand up for yourself! Said half her her. But they’ll get you good, you be punished for sure! Said the other half. Laura cracked an egg into the bowl and began to mix.



“About time.” commented Stepmother as Laura passed out the food. “Lauren, go get the mail and bring it here. Now.

“Yes Stepmother.” Laura walked out. As she walked out, Laura rolled her eyes. She walked to the front door to find some letters there. Laura looked at the envelopes, there was one for Stepmother, another one for Stepmother, another one for Stepmother, and… one for Laura.




A couple miles away, there was a boy going through almost the exact same thing as Laura. That boy’s name was Harry Potter. Harry was a skinny boy with jet black hair, and a scar shaped like a lightning bolt on his forehead. He lived with his aunt and uncle, who hated him and treated him just like Laura, but not as badly.

“Get the post will you, boy?” His Uncle Vernon ordered Harry at breakfast time. Harry had no choice but to obey.

He went to the front door to get the mail, and there was a postcard, and a letter. The postcard was from his ‘Aunt’ Marge, Uncle Vernon’s sister. He was forced to call Aunt Marge his aunt, even though Aunt Marge hated him, as Harry hated her. But the letter has Harry’s name on it;


Mr. H. Potter

Cupboard Under The Stairs

Number 4 Privet Drive


Harry was shocked. He never got mail. Harry stared at the letter as he walked back into the kitchen, and set the postcard by Uncle Vernon.

“What are you reading?” A voice sneered. It was his cousin Dudley Dursley. All the Dursley family hated him, but he was stuck with them ever since his parents died in that car crash. Mrs. Dursley, Petunia, was his mother’s sister, but she was just as nasty and hated Harry just as much as the rest of the Dursleys.

“Oi, it’s mine, it has my--” Before Harry could finish, Dudley had snatched it out of his hands and read it, he turn it over, where there was the wax holding the letter closed, horror spread across his face, he handed it to Uncle Vernon. Harry’s Uncle glared at Harry, then stared at the letter, his face then went red with what was a mix of fury and shock. Harry gulped.

Uncle Vernon stared at Aunt Petunia he muttered something to her that sound a lot like “First the the glass ‘vanishes’ at the zoo, now this.” Uncle Vernon stared at Harry now.

“Get in your cupboard, and stay there until further notice.” He snapped. Harry didn’t know what he did now, but obeyed and went to the cupboard.




Laura stared at the letter in awe;


Ms. L. Rolfe

Barn

Number 7 Drury Lane


I never get mail… She thought. She put the letter in the pocket of her rag dress and walked back to the kitchen. Laura gave the mail to her stepmother. Stepmother gave her a look telling her that she suspected something.

“Hand it over, Lauren.” Stepmother replied coldly. Laura wanted to read the letter before handing it over.

“No.” Laura said coldly, grasping the letter. “It’s my letter, I have a right to read it first, it has my--”

WHAM.

Stepmother had slapped Laura hard in the face, then took the letter from her hands. As Laura rubbed where her Stepmother had hit her, her Stepmother looked at the wax that held it closed. Her face flushed with fury and fright. She ripped open the letter and read the first couple sentences. Stepmother then shredded the letter to bits. Laura did not approve.

“Oi! That was my letter! You could at least tell me what it…” Laura trailed off as her Stepmother gave her a dangerous look.

“Go clean the chimney.”

“But that was my--”

Now.

Stepmother’s voice sounded dangerous. Laura held back tears, then murmured, “Yes Stepmother.”

Laura walked quickly out of the room. She could hear Evelyn’s and Faye’s giggles as she left the room.



© 2014 K. J. Covrett


Author's Note

K. J. Covrett
Not sure if this is copyright to 'Harry Potter' and Edith Weiss's 'Cinderella! Cinderella!,' but hopefully I won't get in trouble.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

oh nice! It's always fun reading something where the characters have similar names as people you know or have met, fun, or dangerous, or silly rather, I don't know, -llc

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 25, 2014
Last Updated on November 25, 2014
Tags: Chapter One, Years Later, Magic Changes