Prologue- Magic Changes

Prologue- Magic Changes

A Chapter by K. J. Covrett
"

This is what happened about 6 years before the first chapter

"

Laura Rolfe awoke to the sound of the clip-clop of hooves, she looked over at her clock. 6:30 AM. Laura stood up and went to the window, she saw a black carriage ride into the driveway. Here already? Lauren thought.

Laura had straight, longish-short, light cocoa brown coloured hair that almost always had dreadlocks. She was at about the age of five and was about the average height for a girl her age. She had pale ish skin, bright blue eyes, and just looked, well, normal, not pretty, nor ugly, just regular.

She rushed to her closet and grabbed just a random outfit and threw it on. As she almost dove for her hairbrush, she slipped on her rug, kicked her shoes, and sent them flying. Laura was able to catch the shoes with a dive before they hit the floor.  She then tried fighting through her tangled hair to get all the knots out.  She as quickly as she got changed, she ran down the stairs, where she found her Uncle there already.

Laura’s uncle was a short man with some graying hair on part of his head, but partly bald. She barely knew her parents, since they were murdered when she was not even at the age of one. Peter was the only friend of her parents that she had met.

“Morning Uncle Peter.” Laura panted.

“Slept in?” Peter said, a slightly amused look was plastered on his face, but it mostly should seriousness.

“I’m sorry, I forgot they were coming so early, forgot to set the alarm.”

Peter’s expression didn’t change. He then bent down to Laura’s height.

“Remember. Elegance, your new Stepmother will be looking for that in you” Peter said, looking at Laura’s forehead, which was covering part of her forehead with bangs. Peter sighed.

Something showed in his eyes that showed regret, or anger whenever Peter looked at Laura. Laura never knew why her uncle was like that, she thought maybe he had a bad childhood.

Peter walked outside, and Laura followed. By the black carriage stood two pretty looking girls and a gorgeous woman stood next to them.

“They are your new sisters; Evelyn on the left, Faye on the right; and then there is your new mother, Regina. I’m sure you will all get along.” Peter replied.

Laura smiled at her new sisters and mother. Regina Kovacs had black hair with some gray flecks. Anyone could tell that she took great care of her beauty. Her face had barely any wrinkles except around the mouth.  By the looked of her, she looked like she was at the age of thirty. She was skinny, had pale skin, and wore a black dress with black laces around the bottom of the dress, and the collar.

Faye was a pretty girl with blonde hair, and pale skin, like her mother. She wore a pale pink dress with white lace around the dress and had a small white silky ribbon was braided into her hair. Faye looked about six months older than Laura.

Evelyn, on the other hand, was a beautiful girl with the same pale skin, and also had blonde hair, which was in a tight bun with white pearl-like beads hanging from the bun. Evelyn looked about a year older than Faye.

Laura was so excited, that she forgot all about the elegance Peter had talked to her about.

“I’m so happy that you are here now!” She exclaimed happily. Laura suddenly felt awkward when there was no right away reply. According to the look that showed on Peter’s face, he was not approving what she had done.

After a couple moments, Regina then said with a lowish sort of voice, “Thank you, Lauren. I’m sure once we all get to know each other, we will get along.”

“Why don’t… er… you girls go and get to know each other, while Regina and I have a quick chat…” Peter added in hastily.

Laura nodded and walked off with Evelyn and Faye. Laura was amazed of how gracefully Evelyn and Faye walked. Laura stopped for a moment, wondering what Uncle Peter need to talk about with her new stepmother. Her thoughts were interrupted by a medium pitched voice, which must of been Evelyn.

“Coming?”

Laura looked at Evelyn.

“Yeah, just need to check something, I meet you in the living room, it’s just around the corner and through the doors once you get inside.”

Evelyn nodded. “Thank you, Lauren.”

“You can call me Laura, if it’s easier for you.”

“I will keep that in mind, thank you.”

Evelyn and Faye then disappeared inside the house.

Laura walked quietly to the corner of the wall. As she got nearer, she could hear their murmurs. When she got to the corner, she stopped, not wanting to be seen, she listened to what sounded like her Uncle’s voice.

“--she barely knew them before they died. Now, what I told you, don’t tell her until she is ready, which I’m pretty sure she’ll be ready to know at the age of nine. Laura should know a couple years in advance before she gets her letter.”

“Don’t worry Peter, I will make sure she knows at the appropriate time,” Laura heard her Stepmother say in a calm fashion.

I’m guessing the ‘they’ is my parents. Laura thought. But, what do I need to know? And what letter? Laura was confused. Her thoughts were interrupted by footsteps, coming from the direction of her stepmother and her uncle. Laura sprinted to the closet and quietly got in. She heard the footsteps go past, and into the house.

Laura walked towards the house, and walked in, then into the living room.

“Where were you?” Peter asked.

Laura tried quickly thinking of something.

“Oh, err, checking on the animals, making sure they have food.” Laura lied.

Regina looked confused. “What animals?”

“Oh, our cows, pigs, chickens, and horses, Stepmother.”

“As long as I am not the one taking care of them, I will be fine.”

Peter signalled Laura to the kitchen, Laura followed him into the kitchen.

“Now, I need you to take care of your new siblings, and help your Stepmother out, she isn’t used to being on a farm, nor your step sisters. Can you do that for me?”

Laura nodded, and watched her Uncle Peter leave her for the last time.



© 2014 K. J. Covrett


Author's Note

K. J. Covrett
Let me know how I did, depending on the reviews, I will add the next chapter!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

77 Views
Added on November 23, 2014
Last Updated on November 23, 2014
Tags: 6 years, Prologue