Chocolate Truffle

Chocolate Truffle

A Story by TheClown

During times when our life is not going precisely the way we had planned it to go, things tend to get gloomy. 
It is during these gloomy times when we take a step back and start to notice the more simpler joys of life.
 I wouldn’t consider myself to be a happy person, but then again, I don’t want to complain. There are already enough people complaining about their petty problems, I would just be another burden for those who know me. Not to mention people with real problems.
It’s been almost a year since I got here. I work at a restaurant, relatively close to the town center. Not the number one choice of the people but it’ll keep you busy. 
Can’t say I hate the place really, but to be entirely honest with you, there’s no one here I would miss here if it was to blow up today. Not that they’re not nice people, for the most part. It can just take its toll on you when there’s no one with same interests as you. Most of them like to wash the stress of the day away with a bottle and a pack of cigarettes. I’m more of a person who goes and sits by a campfire, watching the beautiful ember ascend up into the twilight as the time becomes irrelevant. Say what you want, it’s outside where you want to be during the night. Why would someone willingly stay oblivious to the amazing beauty of their surrounding universe, is something that I could not fathom no matter how hard I tried. With the small time we have on this world, why would you, instead of spending it well, shorten it with a smoke and forget the rest by passing out in a ditch?
So, even when surrounded by people who like me, I feel lonely and guilty for that. They are trying their best, that’s what I’m certain of. But in another hand, I cannot say I haven’t tried myself.
I wonder what happened to me. At one point I felt like king of the hill. Everything went according to my plans, to my calculations. Now I go through the day each day, trying to survive each passing minute while resisting the mighty urge to smash the boiling pan onto the first morons face who dares to smile at me. The tiniest bit of challenge or misfortune is enough to make my chest tremor in a burst of unrelenting rage, which most of the time I manage to keep in myself and let out at an appropriate moment later on.
Before I would go and have a day-long stroll around the town or enjoy the breezy wind at the park while getting lost in my own thoughts. Now I sleep until it’s humanely impossible to keep sleeping and lay still until I cant fall asleep. It’s better than my garbage excuse of a life, for the time being.
At least we get a free breakfast at my workplace. Oh, life sure smiles then, but just for then.
A dark coffee with two sugar cubes is how I enjoy it the most. Could be me, but I feel that the coffee loses it’s effectiveness with milk. If coffee is, for some blasted reason, not available to us, tea goes just fine. Green tea with a dribble of milk, to cool it down faster and soften the taste.
Now, I fully acknowledge how bizarre it sounds, but I cannot help by smirk softly at the sound of the empty cups knocking against one another. The click a white, ceramic cup makes when it hits one alike is easily the most satisfying sound I know of, I truly mean it.
What we eat is nothing too special; a scone with optional butter, sliced creamy cheese and cucumber.
But if you take your time to taste each part of the build individually and don’t hog it down, you’ll get a experience that many of you are missing out on. The still warm scone, slightly tough on the outside, spongelike in the inside, moistened by the melting butter, accompanied by the delicately salty cheese and cooled down by the cold slice of cucumber.
Do you understand what I meant with simpler joys of life? 
My world was turned upside down one day recently, when someone gave me a small, strawberry shaped chocolate truffle. Real Swiss chocolate, brought from there couple of days ago. You can only try to imagine how it felt, after surviving solely on generic noodles, tap water that tastes weird and the breakfast provided by my generous workplace, tasting something so angelic. 
Perhaps it’s nothing for someone who constantly stuffs themselves with sweets. That’s the problem with people who got so much; a good wine looses its taste after you drink it too much. 
It tasted so dark, probably at least 70% cocoa. How the bitterness of dark chocolate tickles the back of my tongue. So lovely. I cracked it in two, to see the soft inside, slowly falling out like molten lava. Using my teaspoon I dipped the other half into my coffee and let the two react with one another. To describe the world I was in as I lifted the melting piece of chocolate from the black coffee and picked it off with my tongue would be as difficult as it was for me to eventually swallow. 
To think that had just been the first half.
But when you get a taste of the good life, you want more. Once I got myself money, I’m going and buying a whole box of chocolate truffles. At least I’m gonna have a small walk for once.

© 2017 TheClown


Author's Note

TheClown
If you have seen this story before, that's because you've seen it on my old account.
Why did I decide to make a new account? Reasons to be unknown to you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on July 25, 2017
Last Updated on July 25, 2017
Tags: chocolate, truffle, depression, restaurant, worker, sounds, anger

Author

TheClown
TheClown

Writing
To be To be

A Poem by TheClown


Poem of war Poem of war

A Poem by TheClown