A decade thought wasted, or the dormant spark

A decade thought wasted, or the dormant spark

A Story by Tasi83















In the mirror, there is usually a whale or wombat head, as if a lawnmower is constantly making a circular, spiraling movement, and only clumps of hair follicles left alone remain on it.
He stares into a mirror. He is trying to decipher, just like one of his favorite book heroes Esti Kornél, what he missed, what he messed up at the age of forty, and what else he should be doing and doing in order to make necessary and happiness-oriented changes in his life?!
Got older? Damn it! Although there is no doubt that his face has become chubbier and stockier, and time has carved challenging, slightly unfriendly crow's feet under his greenish-brown cat eyes. Pisze's nose, which made most of the women's acquaintances say that it was so small, and held it as if they were petting a small animal, it still fit comfortably the first few times, but then...
Now he is constantly awakened by some inner merciless, recurring restlessness; his beating, disordered heart, like a pump or an old, rusting washing machine, is getting bigger, and he is forced to exert more and more effort to deliver the rich sources of oxygen necessary for life-giving blood molecules to the right atria at interurban speed.
Maybe you should eat healthier and be more fit. He should radically consume more fruits and vegetables, but - let's call it his depraved nature - he is simply unable to resist good juicy chicken paprikash, casseroles and potatoes with peppers, and in general it can be safely said that those foods that are prohibited or taboo by the given health-conscious society made lists.
"The problem is that people see with their eyes!" - subtracts the bitter consequence. "When they see someone, they immediately start categorizing and criticizing them, and almost brutally start producing murderous theories and formulated theories against that person's appearance and physical features, and then almost immediately move on to their social position. So, if we look at where entrepreneurs, businessmen, celebrities, celebrities, lawyers, doctors are located within a certain social pyramid, then we can safely say that our hero is not one of the well-paid employees, or at least we can put it that way , so as not to spoil him necessarily the capital life.
He is distracted from his thoughts by an irritating mobile phone ringing. He almost falls on his own ham-shaped legs before stumbling a bit and running into the living room, where he usually leaves his cell phone.
"Yes... I'm listening... here you go..." he says into the phone, choking and gasping diligently for air, the danger of which is that the person on the other end of the line might panic or hang up immediately, saying; you called the wrong number.
"Hello… Noble…?" Is that you?! - asks a stern, measured, serious, bossy voice at the other end of the line. A person feels that he has to itch and scratch from it involuntarily.
"Uh... Good morning, Mr. Boss!" Er… is something wrong…? �" he is once again in the phase of total panic, that he was taken for something that - apparently - he can't do anything about. Or even?!
- Look, Nemes... How should I put it... You are a good, pedantic workforce, and we appreciate your efforts for the sake of the company group. He didn't take a single day off, and when his appendix was removed, he came in the very next day to be an active helper to our colleagues. I would like you to believe that we appreciate this very much...but...unfortunately, we have to be excused because a higher order has come, and you must be aware that cuts are inevitably necessary as a result of the constantly changing dynamic labor market situation. �" the boss grinds the text as if he were just reading it from somewhere.
"Uh... I understand..." he still needs long minutes to recover from the universal cathartic shock.
"Look Noble!" During the week, he would have to take care of this and that, and something should also be done with his belongings. Unless, of course, you want us to throw it in the trash.
"Uh... of course not... when should I go in..."
"Whenever you want... try to calm down a bit... you'll hear back..." his boss informs him matter-of-factly, then immediately cuts off the line.
"Well, that's f*****g good! Did he deserve that much after a career of more than fifteen years?!” - he asks himself the inevitable question, and at the same time he is overcome with shame and a lasting sense of guilt. And yet his fiancee answered him in a romantically cooing, yearning voice that she loved him as much as the stars and outer space, which had a somewhat exaggerated surreality. Maybe she broke up with him because anyone who doesn't move up in the history of a long-established company within fifteen years at least enough to get a nice salary and an independent, attractive little office with indoor plants it's a shame to force yourself and strain yourself permanently.
Suddenly he doesn't even know where his head is. The razor-sharp thoughts that threaten to explode chase each other in his mind, when another ringing interrupts his musings - this time it's his classmate who reappeared at least eleven years ago on the intercom in a chirping, honey-glazed voice:
"Sióka, Miyoka?" Please! Let me in... - he asks. He presses the button three times, he is sure, which is a sure thing, since there have been enough ambiguous cases where the entrance gate did not open.
"S**t! He forgot to dress properly again!” - subtracts the bittersweet essence. "He looks like a third-world hippie homeless person!" His three- or four-day-old beard is so itchy on his chin that he would rather go to the wall." He quickly storms into the net and pulls out a freshly pressed plaid breezy shirt and pulls on a pair of casual bermuda shorts. "But why the hell is there such a fuss! After all, he is at home, he is the master of the house!" But he is also aware that he will have a fantastic, sparkling and always very nice lady as his guest.
He is already running out into the corridor with accelerated steps and listens to the approximate location of the elevator. He almost dies as the small, old, nineties-era elevator lurches through the gaps between the individual floors before stopping on the sixth floor after just three or four minutes.
Slender, tanned legs, a fantastically pretty, summery dress, which - it's true - is a bit unusual, but very fashionable and showy, and a real, modern woman who is so beautiful and radiantly smiling, that you couldn't imagine more perfect, if only one could see strictly with one's eyes. Nevertheless, Nemes immediately feels and knows who he will be lucky with, because they went through a lot together in their high school days.
Well, hello, dear! �" kisses around with her kiss-proof lipstick the well-deserved and now completely ready Nemes, who can hardly spit or swallow because of the sudden surprise.
"Haven't you lost weight dear?" - the bombshell woman asks her old friend, then feels her rubber belly, which Nemes has always hated. Have you ever been told you're getting sexier?! he looks at her questioningly. With that, she immediately puts her belly on his checkered belly with his chubby hand, which trembles a little.
"It's hard to believe that I go to the gym, isn't it!" Three or four times a week. - he excuses himself, as if it were necessary to make excuses with his bombastic body.
She tucks her sunglasses into her honey-blonde hair and still looks like an irresistible, unattainable beauty icon with her feminine naturalness.
"Uh... so far... well... not really..." he blurts out and is already blushing like a wild apple.
"Wouldn't you like to invite me in?" - he asks with a smile on the edge of his mouth, already giggling to himself at the pretension of his friend, who - apparently - very much understands the complexity of the given situation.
�" … But… of course… feel free to get tired! Can I take off your sandals? he asks politely.
- HE! What a knight you are, even now! You know it's a pleasant surprise! �" the lady is so breathtakingly beautiful at this moment that you should take advantage of the magic that she gave you at that moment, but Nemes believes that if she turns into an intrusive, disruptive person, she will scare you away in the end, so she prefers to wait for her girlfriend to take the initiative. But apparently he is just cautiously knocking on the front door and apparently already impressed by the sight:
- Wow! You have a fantastic apartment! Or haven't I mentioned it yet?! �" he quickly peeks into almost every room and pleasantly notes that everywhere is immaculately organized and relatively clean.
"What a fool I am!" Would you like something... to drink...?
"You're so expensive when you're trying to be serious!" he notes. "A little soda would be nice." Do you have some Coke maybe…? �" his angelic smile is truly heartbreaking.
"Uh... of course!" �" lightning fast, nearly falling over himself, he rushes into the kitchenette and pours the carbonated drink into a clean and washed glass, then quickly gallops back to the living room, where the lady has taken a seat in the meantime.
"Oh, thank you so much..." he immediately takes the cold soda and takes a huge sip, which makes him feel both refreshed and relaxed. "It still tastes so good!" It's like we're in the early 2000s, isn't it?! he asks the question.
"Well, well… it's possible." I haven't really looked into this question in depth. he admits.
"Please reassure me, honey, that your girlfriend or wife doesn't know that I'm here now, because I don't want any unnecessary fuss or trouble." If you know what I mean? �" his voice is a little scared, but he is guided by good intentions and helpfulness.
"Oh… calm down!" Unfortunately, I'm still single... - he suddenly feels a restlessness mixed with loneliness, which he doesn't really know what to do with.
"Oh, poor spy!" This is awful! �" she gets up from her seat and, like a real girlfriend, gently caresses his hand and then his face.
"Tell me everything, please." And don't miss anything! I insist! �" The lady speaks as if she has already known her significant other and feels it that your friend needs someone to listen to him.
"Wow!" Well, I have very long and deadly boring stories! I would hate to bore you with such things! �" he tries to make evasions, because he already knows his former classmate so well that he knows that a person's character rarely changes, but if he asked, then why not, right?!
Nemes begins a long story telling, starting with the fact that they both graduated and continued their university and college studies in separate ways, later that his father died of a heart attack and that his mother moved in with his grandmother to help her, and then with a sharp cut he gets to the real point, that he broke up with the love of his life, who was also his fiancee, and now, on top of that, it seems that he will be fired from his job with immediate effect, because layoffs are expected.
- ... I feel more and more like a forty-year-old person who is deliberately searching for something in the dark, and I am unable to do anything with my non-existent possibilities. - When she reaches the end of what she has to say, it can be seen on the lady's face that she was deeply touched and at the same time made to think about her friend's story.
"You've always been very serious and thoughtful." I don't think life has been fair to you, but who is? I'm so sorry you went through things you shouldn't have. And may I ask what happened to your ex-fiancée? Do you still keep in touch? - he couldn't deny that his excitement precedes his longing interest and greedy curiosity.
- Allegedly, he had three children from a brainless gorilla who doesn't take care of his own family at all, but cheats on my ex with all his might. Which, in my opinion, is sacrilegious, but he chose that kind of life, from now on I have no say in it.
"Yes, that's absolutely true!" And how is it that such a reliable and loyal employee is suddenly fired from a company with a long history?! It's almost incomprehensible. - he shook his head, then crossed his long, slender legs in a rather spectacular way. One could never really decide whether one wanted to conquer, flirt, or just provoke the other person.
- My boss just recently rang me on my mobile to pick up my tent pole as soon as possible, because due to the changing labor market movements, they have to lay off one or two people! That's how he put it.
"What a dirty figure he must be!" But you're fine, aren't you? I mean… you know how…?
"I'm trying to hold on, but the ground is slipping from under my feet more and more." he admitted, and he had to be careful, because he would have preferred to cry right there in the presence of this special woman.
- Listen, you know that you probably won't believe this now, because nothing will go wrong, and I promise on my word of honor that I will help you in everything I can to get through this brutally hard and merciless stage of life.
- Thank you very much! Would you like… some snacks…? I recently made paprika fries, there's also spaghetti bolognese if you like it with some Trappist cheese...
"You are very attentive!" Real gentleman! I think we should eat a little later, if you don't mind! Now I will tell you a little about myself. "Now it was the lady's turn to clean up her restless and somewhat crowded lifestyle."
However, as she began to tell about how she was treated by her scumbag boyfriend, who told her that he didn't even want children and that a pot was enough for her, and how she had bosses who promised her a promotion if she slept with them, then she left these mean b******s, finally started her own business with one of her reliable, good-natured girlfriends, and now she's doing very well with her own life, but happiness is still missing from her life.
�" …I once had a moment when I duly walked out of my workplace and immediately bought a plane ticket and didn't even stop to a cozy island in the Pacific Ocean, where I could finally find myself a little. Call it crazy, or a little crazy, but I think every person needs it to put their own life in order! And, of course, many times you have to say "No", of course it doesn't hurt to be aware of "Yes" as well. Anyway, I would really like you to come with me to that fabulous island. It's paradise on earth! It is true that the air temperature is still forty degrees, and the humidity is well above the tolerable amount, but I think the fantastically exotic view makes up for everything. Oh, yes... - an important sentence came to mind. - You won't believe it, there are designated nudist beaches on the island, where you can legally swim naked. - he winked mischievously, and now he wouldn't have denied for the world that he enjoyed, if very much, the fact that he could embarrass his old friend so much, who of course couldn't help but make all kinds of clownish grimaces.
- That's true! he countered. "Excuse me for my question, but why did you come?" - he looked at her boyishly, but very curiously.
"Oh, you little curios." you fool! - he stroked his balding head.
- I want to see you! I think these answers are more than enough. I was thinking that if you don't mind, I would move in with you so that we can shake things up a bit! Of course, only if you're ready for it? You know, it would really mean a lot to me, because even though I'm apparently a normal, modern, down-to-earth woman, I still miss a lot of things in my life, and it would be nice to find myself again! In this way, we would practically kill two birds with one stone! I help you and you help me! Of course, if it can be solved?
"There's nothing wrong with me!" �" Nemes didn't dare to contradict, after all, it's not every day that a beautiful and exceptional woman voluntarily walks into a shipwrecked man's life.
"You made me so happy!" Thank you for being and existing... - he said this with a slightly shaky voice, but it really radiated again that he was able to do this. He carefully approached the man, put his arms around him and kissed him.
"I know I could be a harpy many times in high school until you opened my eyes." I was very angry with myself later for just letting you walk out of my life. Since then, I have often been like an undead zombie who just settled down for life, but finds no joy in it. This is no longer the case! - he was so relieved by his own words that he was truly reborn. "I'm hungry!" We can eat some sweet potato fries! - he answered, and then immediately went to the kitchen to get two clean plates and cutlery and start the mouth-watering lunch, but this time looking deep into each other's superstitious gaze. 

© 2024 Tasi83


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

28 Views
Added on July 9, 2024
Last Updated on July 9, 2024
Tags: Contemporary, epic, short prose, prose, short story, literature

Author

Tasi83
Tasi83

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary



About
I was born on November 30, 1983 in Budapest! I studied Hungarian history at ELTE-TFK, BTK; history teacher. I'm editing ebooks! So far, I have published my volumes on Publió and Publishdrive as.. more..

Writing
HUMAN PORTION HUMAN PORTION

A Poem by Tasi83