A fragment of hope...

A fragment of hope...

A Story by Nikka
"

The beginning of a short story set in a random place, at the random time, followed by the random thoughts of a character who has a tale to tell.

"

I watched the final blazes of today’s shine being swallowed by tonight’s dark on my tiny terrace; allowing the wind to play discord with my hair. To continue hurting me.

The night was young and I felt old.

My toothache was unbearable by then, roaring the scrapes of clustering pain throughout my flesh and bone. I closed my eyes. I tried focusing; beating the pervert that dug so deep. But of all the things in this world, I knew that I was all but strong willed. I wanted to be. Tonight, just this once; later I’d learn. God knows that it would solve my lifetime of issues.

It didn’t work.

I went inside to grab a bottle of painkillers. I took it and grinned. Painkillers? Killers of the womb, killers of personality, I’d say, labeled and sold worldwide. Not that I have a personality left to kill. Cheers.

I sat back on the uncomfort of the terrace chair followed by the bitter taste in my mouth. I was wandering then, was it the pills or did I spontaneously pressed “play” on all the wrongs I’ve done by the placebo I’ve welcomed with a grinning face? I shook it all off.

Placebo or not, the pain should eventually end. But why is the wind still hurting me?

I saw a crying girl left out of the gathering crowd, right below me. She reminded me of someone I once knew.

I took the pill bottle and tossed it on her. I wandered if they can beat whatever she’s feeling.

She lifted her delicate hand and scratched the copper mane that was waltzing around her face, calming the impact I caused. For a long moment after, she was inspecting the thing and finally looked up. She saw me, the only guy sitting there, lost in thought of her teary eye.

What the hell?!

I didn’t hear that. Instead she gave me a wave with the same gentle hand that touched her hair a moment ago. She smiled running back to the beating heart of the undying city; the city that will breathe for her tonight with fading faces that will be her audience.

And I only wished to be barked at.

I watched in awe her rushing feet until she was gone, only to stay a good memory that was selflessly given to someone like me. I was smiling. The pain was gone for today.

The night was getting old and I felt young again.

Have a good one old man.

 

© 2009 Nikka


Author's Note

Nikka
Every critique and every word is warmly welcome.
English is not my native tongue; so if you see any mistakes that I have foreseen, tell me.
Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on April 17, 2009
Last Updated on April 17, 2009

Author

Nikka
Nikka

Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro



About
Nina was born twenty years ago in the city of Novi Sad. She is the only child of her parents. As a girl, she was a ballet dancer and she played the piano, which she left due to the responsabilities t.. more..

Writing