Stalker

Stalker

A Story by SynHawk
"

Inspired by Van Helsing... about 5 years ago...

"

 

The shadow drops off the building as the clouds pass over the full moon, casting darkness over the city. As the shadow moves along an alley it seems to change shape and shrink, it comes out into a small street that is almost deserted. A man walks out of the alley, stretching and looking around. Walking down the street he bumps into a man walking the opposite way. “Sorry” he mumbles, his voice weak
“It’s fine” the man keeps on walking and then looks back and the now swaying stranger. His face is unreadable, covered in shadow by the brim of his Stetson hat. He turned back and kept walking alone. The weak man watched the dark figure walk away. His face grew dark and he looked up at the sky, watching the clouds part for the moon. As the shadowed man looked back again he saw an empty alley behind him. As the man walked through the city he didn’t seem to notice the shadow, passing from rooftop to rooftop behind him. The street came to an opening that seemed to be a square of some sort, he walked out into the center of it and looked up and the clouded moon. He sat down on a fountain edge in the middle of the square. As he watched the street he just passed down the man walked out of the shadows towards him, a smile playing across his face.

 

        “This isn’t a good night to be out and about Sir” the mans weakened voice echoing on the walls of the square.

 

        “Oh it’s not so bad, almost peaceful at this time” he looked up, his green eyes catching the moonlight that started to break through the clouds.

 

        “That’s not quite what I had in mind Sir, more…the time of month” his face contorted, pain passing into his mind and bones. The sitting man watched, he seemed almost, amused. As he watched the man started to change, his arms, legs and body started to widen and grow. Hair began to grow over his body. While his face lengthens, with his teeth and nails.


 

As he finishes the man stands and begins to walk towards the werewolf. He gets within a few meters and looks up, his eyes dancing in the light.

 

        “Well your certainly one who was hard to find, you were hopping around city to city for some time now” The werewolf looked down at him and spoke, his voice a low growl.

 

        “So it was you who has been following me, I thought you looked familiar last time I saw you, your that one who is being hunted as I am” A low chuckle came from in his chest “Well I know who you are and your reputation but please” he snorted “you have no chance” The man’s face dropped into almost a glare

 

        “Lets see” He started to speak but the werewolves arm flew across and smashed into the mans side. He was thrown into the side of a building, the bricks cracking slightly. He landed on all fours and his head whipped up in time to see the werewolf running at him. He rolled to the side and his hands darted to the back of his belt and reemerged holding two silver colt pythons. The werewolf growled and leaped over him onto the roof of the building behind him. He looked up in time to fire two shots up at the werewolves leg, sending a splatter of blood onto the tiled roof. A roar of pain was sent into the night, the monster leaping from view.

 

        “Your going to pay for that Hawk, in your blood” the cry came from around the square, Hawk looked around but could not see or hear where the werewolf was. He rotated on the spot, the moonlight glinting off the sliver bullets in his pythons chamber.

 

        “And here I thought it was going to be costly” he heard a tile slide on a roof behind him and he spun quickly, sending two more shots off at the direction of the tile.


 

After the echo of the smashing tiles died away he was standing in silence, unable to see or hear the werewolf. He lowered his guns and knelt down, picking up his hat. As he did this a shadow passed over it and he smiled. He dived forward as the claw of the werewolf came down where he had been, cracking the pavement. He looked back as he was in the air and saw it bare its teeth, drool slipping from its mouth slightly. When he landed he rolled and fired his remaining eight bullets behind him, hoping to slow it down at least a little. He heard the bullets smash against the wall but after that no sound of pain. Getting off the ground he looked behind him into the darkness. There was no sign of the werewolf except a trail of blood going up the wall where he had been shot. He looked down at his empty guns and slid the left one open, chambers expelling smoke from the now empty shells. He holstered his right hand gun and pulled out a handful of shells from his belt. As he tipped up the gun the six spent shells dropped out and tinkled on the cobblestones under his feet. He placed the six new silver bullets into the gun and with a flick of his wrist it clicked back into place. He looked around and begun to walk around the square, looking for any trace of the werewolf. When he reached a side ally he crept up close to the wall and peered around the side slowly. He looked into the darkness and raised his gun into the alley, ready to fire. As he looked down he felt a small breeze on the back of his hat and neck.


 

His eyes widened as he felt the heat on his neck as he closed his eyes Oh this isn’t going to be good his mind raced as what to do. He opened them and pulled back the hammer on his python. His hand tightened slightly and he spun around and side stepping to avoid the on coming blow of the werewolf, letting his finger pull gently on the trigger. He was too slow. His bullet did sink deep into the monsters shoulder but the swinging arm caught him heavily on his left arm, sending his python soaring away and sliding against the base of the fountain. A pain shot up his arm as if someone had ripped at the skin with white hot iron. The werewolves nails had ripped at his skin, his blood dripped down off his fingers as he was sent into the alley wall and then onto the ground. The werewolf howled and tried to swipe again at Hawk’s fallen body, alas the shot Hawk took at it’s leg was now doing its duty. The werewolves leg buckled and Hawk was able to scramble away from it. He managed to get a few meters away before it got up and started to pursue him. He looked back at the werewolf and saw the blood seeping down its arm that was now hanging limp by its side. He stumbled and fell to the ground by the fountain. Looking up he saw the python and groaned. The werewolf leaped in the air and fell on Hawk. His hand grabbed the handle on the gun and he swung it towards the animal. It was over before it started. Hawk felt a searing pain and looked down at his chest, the werewolves nails and gone deep into him and he closed his eyes. He then smiled and looked deep into the snarling face on the drooling, vengeful animal. There was a dull thud, then another and again. The face on the animal changed into agony and it looked down at Hawks python. It was shoved directly into its bowls. Hawk kicked at it and it rolled off him awkwardly, whimpering softly. Hawk panted from the gash in his side and he got to his knees, then fell against the fountain, looking at the werewolf. He raised his python once more and placed it against its head. It looked at him desperately.

 

No, please” Hawk closed his eyes and grimaced

 

        “Forgive me” with that he pulled his finger and heard his two last shots go off. Opening his eyes he was now looking at the body of the weak man, dead on the ground. His body seeping blood into the cracks of the ground. He holstered his gun with his one good arm and pushed himself up off the ground. He looked around and slowly walked back to the alley, picking up his hat he walked into the alley and leaned against the wall. As he did this it started to rain, he felt the cool water on his face and slid down the wall. His mind blurring with blood loss and pain. He smiled gently and let himself be overcome with darkness and cold.

© 2009 SynHawk


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on May 19, 2009

Author

SynHawk
SynHawk

Perth, Western Australia, Australia



About
Ah, Bios. I was never really much good at these - but hey why not? What can I say about me? I write. ... So maybe I can do a bit better than that. I've been a writer for about seven years but - and.. more..

Writing
Long Forgotten Long Forgotten

A Story by SynHawk