Part 1

Part 1

A Story by Stephnathan

It was a really clear night sky. I laid on my back in the grass and watched the stars. It had been one of those lovely summer evenings where it seems like the sun is never going to set and the air stays warm for ages. I put my cigarette in my mouth and enjoyed the crackling sound it made as my breath pulled the smoke into my lungs. She came out of nowhere and laid down next to me. Head on my shoulder and arm across my stomach. The ground had grown cold and it was nice to have her warmth against me. I didn’t look at her or even acknowledge her, just carried on staring at up at the sky.

“I’ll put this out if it bothers you” I whispered into her hair, gesturing towards the glowing cigarette in my hand.

“No, no it’s fine” She replied, turning onto her back. She looked up at the sky, following my gaze. We were lying in the field that her garden led on to. It really was beautiful. The field was vast and you could see the dots of light that came from the surrounding houses. The strongest light came from inside her house, it flooded across her back garden but fortunately didn’t quite touch us. “Every one’s gone home now” She told me. It had been a great party. We drank and sang and sat around the bonfire. Perfect end to the summer. Yet here we were, in our usual spot, lying together in the field under the stars.

“Everyone?” I asked raising my eyebrow. She squirmed slightly, knowing exactly what I meant ”Okay not everyone” She admitted “Josh is still here. He’s inside cleaning up”

I scowled at his name. Josh. I knew he would still be here. Josh was Katie’s boyfriend and I hadn’t failed to make my distaste towards him a secret. He didn’t know about me. He didn’t know that sometimes the two of us would come out here just to be. That’s all we did. We’d lie together and do nothing. I’d smoke cigarette after cigarette and we’d just talk about mindless things. I don’t know what he’d do if he did know. He knows that I’m gay and that would probably make him suspicious. Not that I’d blame him. I sighed, breathing her in.

“Katie, why are you here? With me I mean”

“What?” She asked, propping herself up on her elbow so that she could face me. Her head was cocked to one side in confusion. She really was adorable. Fairly short brown hair that just passed her shoulders with blond streaks in her fringe, dyed by the sun. Dark blue eyes that easily changed between looking innocent and naive to looking like she had experience far beyond her eighteen years.

“Why do you come to the field with me?” I knew what she’d say but I desperately wanted to think there was something more behind her spending time with me.

“Because I enjoy your company. I like talking to you and it’s so nice to get away from everything. From work, from the house” She smiled at me. It was almost condesending. “Why do you ask?”

“Oh, I was just curious” I tried to make my voice sound light and uninterested but I don’t think she bought it. But to my relief she layed back down anyway. I guess it wasn’t a bad answer. I just wanted her to say something like ‘Because I’m crazy about you and this is the only way I can get you all to myself’. But I really shouldn’t get my hopes up so much. I’ve known Katie forever but we only became good friends in the past couple of years. I always just watched her from a distance, completely infatuated. She’s stunningly beautiful and everything about her screames intelligence. It’s what makes her so interesting.

“Katie! Where the f**k are you!?” Josh called from just outside the house. I scowled again. S**t.

© 2011 Stephnathan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

“I’ll put this out if it bothers you(,)” I whispered...

When you have a statement in dialogue, put a comma after it where you would put the period if you have a tag, like he said, she said, ectera-

Overall? It's kind of angsty yet cute at the same time. I'm glad he and Katie have a nice friendship. Everyone deserves one.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
1 Review
Added on August 15, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2011

Author

Stephnathan
Stephnathan

United Kingdom



Writing
Part 4 Part 4

A Story by Stephnathan


Part 3 Part 3

A Story by Stephnathan


Part 2 Part 2

A Story by Stephnathan