Officer Tucker Jones

Officer Tucker Jones

A Story by Stacey
"

After the first attack there were a few survivors, soldiers that had fought hard, now regulated to cells waiting for the next experiment.

"

            Officer Tucker Jones, though they were really more prisoners than officers, was in his issued cot when the red light above his door flashed.  With a thrill of panic he tried to unwrap himself from his blankets.  He had to get his door unlocked before they came to get him.  It was never good when they had to force the door open.  He could just leave his door unlocked all together but, like many of the soldiers that survived the first attack, he couldn’t sleep if the door wasn’t secured and they allowed them that small measure of security.

            Except he must have lost a couple seconds because they were already knocking on the door and he was still lying in bed with the sheets tangled around his ankles.  He pushed out quickly, falling ungracefully to the floor.  It was too late though, the sedative gas was already pumping through the air grate, but still he crawled towards the door, they had to know he was trying to unlock it. 

            He made it and reached up to unlock the door and propped himself against the wall next to it, sliding down as the gas they were pumping into the room made him sluggish.  The next moment the door flew open, a soldier entering with a knife held out in case he met resistance.  Behind him a doctor was looking around the room, worry crossing his face for a moment before he spotted Jones crouched by the door with his hands up and it became obvious he had tried to get to the door.

            “Jones, you’re needed in the exam room.”

            He nodded docilely, eyes still on the knife.  The doctor seemed to realize it and quickly nudged the solider who slid it back into its holster, next to his gun.  Tucker moved slowly towards the door, the drugs they had pumped through the air disorienting him a little.  The soldier next to him seemed to realize that and gently grabbed his elbow, helping him to balance and directing him towards the exam room.

            He leaned on the other as much as he could get away with, enough that the other could probably feel him shaking at being called into the exam room.  The doors were all an industrial white, all medically sanitized.  The soldier left at the door and then it was just him and the doctors.  The one in here looked much younger, and pointed at the table without looking at him.

            He hesitantly laid back on the table, glancing around the room, trying to figure out what they would be doing today.  The doctor nodded his approval.  “You all have become quite easy to handle.  Very docile, it is very helpful.”

            A small urge to rebel rose up in him and he pushed up onto his elbow, “We are not easy to handle… or docile.”

            The doctor raised an eyebrow at him and before he could expect it the doctor had hit a button and the large screen in front of Jones was suddenly filled with video of the first attack, the half rotted zombies attacking, and there was a loud clatter and Tucker found himself on the floor under the table, hyperventilating.

            At the noise a soldier had came into the room, but quickly took in the video up on the screen and Tucker crouched under the table, face ashen white and hyperventilating.  “That doesn’t seem necessary Doc, turn it off will ya?”

            “He was questioning me.”

            “That seems unlikely.”  The soldier crouched down so he could be eye level with Tucker.  “Hey Jones, come on out, the video is off.”  When he didn’t respond he grabbed him and pulled him out, holding him still by a grip on both arms until he calmed down enough to actually see who had him.  “You okay?”

            He glanced towards the now blank screen and nodded his head, embarrassed.  “Yea.”

            The soldier glanced between him and the doctor, “Maybe I should stay.”

            “He’s fine and I’m sure we won’t have any more problems, will we Officer Jones?”

            He couldn’t bring himself to look up, “No.”

            “Well there you go.”

            Though he hesitated the soldier did head towards the door, “I’ll be right outside.”

            “Yes, yes, very good.”  The annoyance was rising in the doctor’s voice.  “I’m sure you won’t be needed though.”  When he was gone he looked to Tucker, “On the bed Officer Jones.”

 

© 2008 Stacey


Author's Note

Stacey
This is a short section from a story that I have been working on but I'm not certain if it should be continued.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on March 11, 2008

Author

Stacey
Stacey

Spencerport, NY



About
I'm 22, and have a fascination with sociology and psychology mixed with science fiction. I've been writing for a long time and I write a lot... but I'm very shy about my writing and up to this point .. more..

Writing
Beast Beast

A Poem by Stacey