Darwins Evolution

Darwins Evolution

A Story by Stacey
"

In a time of changing technology the human race has managed to change its own genetic structure in a way that Darwin could have never predicted.

"

            It’s been happening more and more frequently as the new generation is coming to the age where they want to start families, have children.  At first it was only a few… a few bizarre stories on the news.  At first articles on the back page of the newspaper.

            At first it was an unfortunate story for a couple of people.

            Really though, we should have seen it coming, we should have acknowledged the signs.  It didn’t start out with the extremes, at first it was simple.  People wanted babies with blue eyes.  People wanted babies without a gene for obesity.  People wanted babies with no debilitating diseases.  Some things insurance covered, some things were left only for the rich.  They said money can’t buy happiness but rich parents were able to eliminate the gene that led to depression, were able to alter the very being of the child growing inside them.

            There was controversy about it, much like with anything that some got while others couldn’t afford but then something happened that opened new questions.  That seemed to give credence to the worries brought forth. 

            The first couple couldn’t conceive.

            The first couple times it was written off as the couple being infertile, despite that the tests said they weren’t.  It didn’t come up much until it started appearing at a startling rate.

            James Martin was the first scientist to discover the problem in 2256.  So many of the genes had been altered that, for some couples, they were no longer genetically compatible… no longer the same species.  James Martin, whose parents had paid an extraordinary amount to make him intelligent, to make him handsome, to make him everything he would need to succeed proclaimed that humans were no longer compatible with this sub species with inferior genes.

 

            We weren’t the ones that changed though.  Those of us whose parents had let nature take its course, those of us that had faults inherent to human behavior were the same as we had ever been. 

            Naturally it only became worse.  People aligned themselves with those with whom they could mate and the differences between the two groups grew.

           

           

           

 

© 2008 Stacey


Author's Note

Stacey
This is a short section of the story, I'm wondering if it is something that should be continued.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on March 11, 2008

Author

Stacey
Stacey

Spencerport, NY



About
I'm 22, and have a fascination with sociology and psychology mixed with science fiction. I've been writing for a long time and I write a lot... but I'm very shy about my writing and up to this point .. more..

Writing
Beast Beast

A Poem by Stacey