Prompt 2

Prompt 2

A Story by SophieP

            I sat back in my seat with my hands gripped to the steering wheel. Those thoughts flooded my mind, “YOU are doing what?! I don’t think you can do it. Ha-ha that’s funny!” All of those words motivated me even more as I kept replaying the sharp tone of them over in my mind. I turned my music up even louder and gripped my steering wheel more tightly.

            It was a beautiful day on that particular afternoon; in fact it was a perfect day. The sun was shining and I was determined to pass. As I approached the parking lot, I could hear the weakness in the breaths of the people who had just finished. There was a man standing at the finish line with a timer in his hand, my throat lurched. It was almost time, time to show all those people exactly who I was, or time… time to fail miserably and have to face those people. I walked over to the front entrance, each step heavy with anxiety and anticipation. As I walked into the room I could feel my thudding heartbeat in my chest as I swallowed once again. I had to wait… wait for the man to take attendance and wait… wait for it all to be over.

            We walked out into the shop to get prepared. I could hear each foot step as they walked slowly over to get their number. I could barely lift the vest over my head because I was so nervous, but I was determined that I could. I received number 10. Is 10 a good or bad number to have? I didn’t care what number I had. I was determined to do this test and pass it. I walked to the cone that represented the starting line. With teeth gritted and my IPod blaring, I waited for the moment he would say “GO!” The adrenaline hit me like a rocket and I was off. Off to prove all those people that they were wrong, wrong to underestimate me, and wrong to not have faith in me.

            My first lap had begun. The vest was heavy, but not as heavy as those thoughts hanging over my head. I could feel the burn in my muscles all throughout my body, but I didn’t care. Before I knew it, I was almost finished with my first lap. As I rounded my last corner, that cone appeared. I thought to myself, I only have to pass it 2 more times and I’d be done. I could see each heat wave in the air as I focused on it more closely. At last, I reached the man holding the timer, the timer that would determine my fate. He said I was a minute under, but I did not slow my pace for fear of the man behind me was catching up slowly. I could hear his footsteps moving closer and closer, but I drowned them out with my music. I assured myself it wasn’t a race, it was a race against the clock and I had to win.

            The gravel beneath my feet began to get more and more difficult to walk on. Each step felt like lifting lead. My shoulders hurt and my hip was being rubbed rough by the vest. I thought to myself, pain is weakness, so I blocked all of it out and focused on my one and only goal, to pass. My mind was set and I was not going to let anything get in my way.

            Finally, I was coming up on the man with the timer yet again, but this time, I’d only have to pass it once more. I used my hands to lift the weight of my vest off of my chest, but it didn’t help the pain. It took what felt like forever to reach him. I finally did and he told me I was doing a great job with a minute to spare. The rest of the people were well behind me, they’d never catch up. I slowed my pass a little so I could give my body a slight break. I was on my last lap. Luckily, by this time, it actually was become easier and easier with each passing lap.

            I told myself, “This wasn’t so bad?” and it wasn’t. It was going by pretty fast and my adrenaline was becoming even stronger. The thought of letting the clock win made my stomach churn. My legs were even heavier than lead by now. My breaths were becoming weaker and weaker and my body ached all over. I told myself I was almost finished, just one last lap to go. I had made it this far and I wasn’t going to stop now for anything.

            I came up on the hill I’d only have to climb one last time. The thought of how close I was made me more and more excited that my anxiety was becoming worse and worse. I could only think of one thing, “Did I make it, Am I on time?” I at last conquered that last hill that felt like so long near the beginning. I will never forget seeing that last sight of that orange cone with two white reflected stripes on the top as I rounded my last corner. I couldn’t wait to hear those words, “You passed!”

            I sped up and used every last ounce of my strength to finish strong. It didn’t matter anymore how my legs felt, I couldn’t even feel them anymore anyways. All I could think of was the moment I could tell all those people who didn’t think I could do it that I did it. Tell them how they underestimated me just because of my looks. Those moments alone would be worth more than words. To be able to accomplish something that no one thought I could do is such a great achievement.

            The man with the timer said, “Great job, you had two minutes to spare!” I felt so relieved that all the blood rushed out of my arms and legs. All of my muscles were finally able to relax and my mind was at ease. I could not WAIT to tell all of those people I had passed! I was ecstatic and I felt like I could do anything! Words can’t describe how much anticipation came over my body thinking of the moments everyone would find out that I proved them wrong.

 

© 2009 SophieP


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

88 Views
Added on March 22, 2009

Author

SophieP
SophieP

OR



Writing
Prompt 1 Prompt 1

A Story by SophieP