Becoming Real

Becoming Real

A Story by Skookum
"

A snippet of self-discovery.

"

It was so cold up there, miles from the City and high above the sea. A flicker of your image drinking an iceless glass of bourbon crossed my mind. But before the thought could wander further, a crazy dog broke through the calm lake I was standing near, dismissing any thought but what I saw for real.


These are the things that I do, and those are the things that you do. It's come to that. I barely knew you. While you were near me, our future never entered my thoughts more than contemplating what we might do the next time you called. Eventually, after a few weeks of the same routine, I didn't even bother picturing that.


Why you were so significant to me is something I've figured out on my own. This is what I know.


In my journey to overcome trauma, I had managed to create a hologram image of myself. My loved ones were mostly fooled because it smiled and laughed and looked pretty every day. But as only I knew, it was just an image and I struggled to find the connection that would make me my solid self.


The first time you sat across from me, talking about everything and nothing, I felt the change. Your voice, your words, the way you looked at me, kissed me. In the moments I knew you, I became real again. That's all.


Sometimes people walk in our lives and stir things up in an amazing way. I can't help but feel like I knew you just the right amount of time. You left as I returned.


Though I rarely think of you now, I smile when I do. Not just a hologram smile on my hologram face, but real unshakable happiness. The connection within myself is complete.

© 2015 Skookum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on May 17, 2015
Last Updated on May 17, 2015

Author

Skookum
Skookum

About
Random writer. To sort out my puzzled mind, I create imaginary characters to put the pieces together. more..

Writing
The moment The moment

A Story by Skookum