Dignity or Stupidity. Definitely Passivity.

Dignity or Stupidity. Definitely Passivity.

A Story by Skookum
"

Be anti passive.

"
I was once held under water by a man I was trying to rescue. Recently, actually. 

Horrible experience and I nearly drowned.

Though I seemed fine, I wouldn't know for sure until I got back into the water.

Then you met me and I just meant to get my feet wet. I watched you smile at me, and laugh as you swam farther out. Looked like fun and I trusted you a little. I liked being there with you. Yes, of course I could do this. I moved towards you and delectation sparked through me. I really loved your wild underwater colored eyes and had a bit of a crush on you. You told me you were strong and I thought it was sweet.

Just when I got to you, a familiar weight pulled me under and when I reached for your help, you weren't there. My heart began to pound as anxiety fought its way into my chest, water sputtered into my lungs and okay. okay. I am okay. I smiled to myself. I was okay. My face rose out of the water and I breathed in and exhaled, slowly calmly. Relief. I could do this. My eyes carefully searched for any sign of you. I saw nothing but the easy moon reflecting off the gentle, black waves. I was alone. 

I was unsure what to do and just treaded water, thinking. Swim to shore and chance leaving you out there. But what if you return? I was left to realize, no matter where you went or why, you were gone and I had to decide. Wait or leave.

I looked back for you one more time, saw nothing, and so returned to shore.

When I think about it all, I have no idea if I left too soon (dignity) or waited too long (stupidity). But it doesn't matter. I am not a better or wiser person from the experience. But it's evident I am courageous, a strong swimmer, and will always make it back to shore. Weak and passive people get carried away until a wave catches them and they just drift without direction, becoming food for the other fish in the sea. 

Strength of character is rare these days, and most people will justify their behavior because it's the typical way. They will do this even knowing it is the worst way. Passive, following, unable to be different and weird and better because they're scared to decide who they are and what they want.

© 2015 Skookum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on May 13, 2015
Last Updated on May 13, 2015

Author

Skookum
Skookum

About
Random writer. To sort out my puzzled mind, I create imaginary characters to put the pieces together. more..

Writing
The moment The moment

A Story by Skookum


Becoming Real Becoming Real

A Story by Skookum