The Little Things

The Little Things

A Story by Lana
"

A fun loving guy meets a down to earth highschool graduate. As they get to know each other in the summer vacation she realises 'the little things' of life. Love it, Hate it, Laugh and Cry.

"

 









Chapter 1: Enjoy the little things...

 

At a quick glimpse she saw what she thought was the most beautiful thing ever. His white hair, half swept over his face. The skew grin on his face and the glitter in his fiery auburn coloured eyes. His muscles bulging as he swims across the lake to the bank where she was sitting.


“You’re new here” He observed smilingly as he climbs up onto the bank to sit down next to Melisa. “How’d you know that?” Staring at him, Melisa felt puzzled and intrigued. “ ‘cause the people round here know each other, and I don’t know you... well, not yet anyway besides if you knew the lake you wouldn’t be... Ag, what the hell, I’m Gustau.” He introduced himself lifting an eyebrow. “I’m guessing that’s your way of asking me to introduce myself? But first I want to know what I wouldn’t be doing? Sit and talk to a stranger?” Gustau laughs “Yeah sitting here and talking to me, that’s bad, so...?”


He looks at her, he placed the ball right back into her court. “Whatever. I’m Melly. Just good ol’ Melly.” She sighs, looking towards the lake with misty brown eyes, her brown hair waving in her face from the mild breeze. “Good ol’ Melly it is then.”


 Gustau’s eyes dancing over her face, he can’t help but feel tenderness toward her, in turn his look makes Melisa’s fuse burn brighter and she mumbles disorientated about her not needing him to talk to her, when alas she says “Stop that, you are so rude you know.” Her face red as she noticed him slipping closer besides her, his fingers cuddling the loose strands of her hair, and that smile...


 Gustau sits back, stretching his legs out and binding his arms behind his head, now silently looking at the sky. They sat in silence for what felt like an eternity when he suddenly, very seriously says “Melly. If you forget to enjoy life and play with situations to be in your favour, you are losing yourself. I remember watching a movie once, it was a comedy. The one actor said: ‘in these times you have to enjoy the little things.’ So Melly...” Gustau turns his head to her and then leaps to his feet, stretching his arms, walking slowly away.


 As he waves he says “So... enjoy the little things just as that crocodile over there wants to”. She looked over to where he’s pointing. In disbelief she looks back at Gustau but he disappeared into the bushes, frozen solid by the shock of seeing a crocodile. Melisa got up and hastily made her way back to her car. “A freakin’ croc! I forgot st Lucia has crocodiles. Wait, he was swimming back there!?


 

 

 “I can’t believe it’s morning already.” Melisa glares at the clock and then she jumps up shocked “I’m so late!”


She suddenly realises she’s not in school anymore. It’s summer, she is on vacation at her family cottage. Before she sinks back into her pillows she whiffes herself  “I need a shower ... and some wheat to eat.” She giggles at her own rhyme, gets up and starts the shower.


As she undresses, she admires herself in the mirror, feeling her breasts “Hmmm, soft, tender... perfect.” She winks at her reflection and laughs to herself.


Melisa  feels the water washing over her face as she gets in the shower. “This feels good... Mmmm... Enjoy the little things.”  Then she knew why she was looking forward to today.

 

 

 “Little bit of this, more of that... Hmmm, perfecto!” Gustau looks back sheepishly at the young girl at the counter. “How much for... wait add this too.” Gustau drops the bird seed on the counter. “Did you add it? How much do I owe you?”


 The girl feels sorry for him though she can’t help getting mad, she has no patience with crazy people and she knows his type. He is young and able, though not sound in the head, why doesn’t this bum get off the streets and work. “It’s R1362.59 sir.” She looks at him annoyed.


Gustau reaches into his pocket, revealing small pieces of paper. “I guess you don’t accept pocket lint do you?” He smiles and wink at her while reaching into the other pocket. “Ah there we are...” He pulls out a wallet filled with money. As Gustau starts counting the money to a rounded R1400, he looks at the cashier amused as he hands her the money and places his wallet back into his ragged pants pocket.


 “You can check, they’re real... But darling, be thankful for your job. With a face like that all irritated and gloom, anywhere else you’d be mopping floors and not tending to clients. Well thank you, it’s been a pleasure.”


 He takes the change and receipt from the shocked girls hands and places it in his pocket, bagging his purchased goods himself. “Oh, and tell your boss, Gustau says hi, okay?” He leaves through the door all smug.

 

 

As Gustau looks left to prepare to cross the road, he notices a girl, one with a smile on her face, twinkling brown eyes and wavy brown hair. He grins: “Ah, the newbie.”


He walks towards the girl, bumping into her. “Hey!” The girl exclaims then suddenly with a shy smile she adds “Oh sorry, let me help you. I think it was my fault.” Gustau takes her hand and looks at her face that’s going red and her eyes growing big with indignation. “Good old Melly wasn’t it? Glad to see the crocodile didn’t have a late lunch yesterday.”


 Melisa looks up from where she was huddled to pick up the bum, Gustau’s things, suddenly standing upright in a jolt. “You! You... You...” Gustau sees her fury and taunts her more “no dear, it’s Gustau, remember. Say it with me, G-u-s-t-a-u. Gustau.”


“Ugh, I know your name, not that I wanted to remember... Oh to hell with you! Pick up your own damn groceries.” Stepping back quickly.


For some reason she finds she feels angry. There is no reason to be mad except that he wanted to... what did he want to do? Or was it more of that he managed to let her feel happy in an indirect way. She even dressed up, was it because deep down she wished that she would bump into him and that’s what’s upsetting her?


“Oh my, the kitten is tense.  What a happy day to be bumping into you though and don’t look at me like that...” He leans closer to her and whispers “I know you’ve been thinking about me...”


As Melly inhales sharply, he steps back and adds quickly “Even if it was just that you wanted to shout at me. What’d I do?” His grinning pout, strangely annoys her more and she cuts in “Oh get a life and leave mine alone.”


 As she walks away she didn’t understand her recoil. Wasn’t he just being friendly? No he was too friendly for a stranger. She hates this.

 

Gustau watches Melisa disappear around the corner and smiles “I’m yet to saddle you wild horse, but for now enjoy your ignorance”


He walks forward to the nature park down the road, old memories haunting him again. Maybe he should leave her be? The mere thought of her gives him delight though. He’s too serious, he must flee and he must do it alone.


“Hmmm? Oh there we go.” He walks through an entrance next to the market place. “Oooh, this seems like a good spot. Let’s feed the birdies and rest my soul...”



“Jonathan? Jonathan? Come on Peggy let’s go he’s not home.” Audrey turns around to look at her friend. “Peggy!” She exclaims. Behind her friend is a man holding a gun under her chin.


The eyes of the man meets her own. Audrey felt the blood drain from her. “Jonathan? What are you doing? Please love, don’t hurt her.” As Jonathan lowers his gun to his sides, tears dripping from his eyes, he turns and walks away. “I’m so sorry Audrey. I didn’t mean for this to happen... I..”


A thunder from gunshots and the sudden yell from Peggy quieting down, rings through his ears. He turns around quickly. In horror he witnesses the death of his beloved Audrey and her best friend Peggy...




Tears roll over Gustau’s Cheeks as those memories flash before his eyes.  “Do you birds know how it feels to hold a warm body till it turns stiff and cold? Neither do I.” He smiles, then sobbingly continues “I couldn’t even hold her after she breathed her last breath.


I got shot too by the haunting memories.” He looks up, squinting at the rays of sunlight pouring through the branches of the trees. “Maybe, I died that day. But I sure as hell want live again. It wasn’t my fault. Forgive me Audrey, Please...?”


With a sudden rustle in the bushes he rips himself back to reality. The big warthog that always walks through the town looking for scraps, stares at him. “S**t old friend, I don’t have fruit today. I kind of forgot about you.”


Gustau smiles at the pig and as if the pig understands those words he runs forward then halts a few metres away from Gustau. “Alright, sheesh. Do you really have to behave like a pig? Tsk Tsk, here.”


Gustau throws a piece of bread forward to the warthog. The pig pushes the bread with his snout and glares at Gustau. “Oh come on, I said I didn’t have fruit. That’s all I have now. Take it or leave it.”


The pig snorts and walks away down the path. “Phew, now that was...”


 “Weird.” The voice from behind Gustau sounds cold.


“Nah scary.” He turns around fanning his face with his hand. “So you’re following me now, Melly?”



© 2011 Lana


Author's Note

Lana
This is still in the begin phase but I really want to finish it. Please tell me what you think of the dialogue, the breaks and basicly everything. Thank you. (I also translated it to French through words translate site if anyone wants to read it in French)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Paragraphs of great length are hard for my eyes to follow - that IS me, true - but it is also with others and a thought to consider. The hardest part of any dialogue is its flow and attention to detail. Snippets are easier to follow and ensure their flow. Continual use of the characters names throughout a short, dialogue seem scripted and somewhat forced to me.

The storyline seems interesting but the format is more screen or stage play script then a story.

I look forward to seeing it grow.

Take care,
Chris



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thank you Kim and Chris. :) I read once people read at a 8cm span or something, I forgot how daunting long sentences and paragraphs can be. Sorry guys/girls :)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Paragraphs of great length are hard for my eyes to follow - that IS me, true - but it is also with others and a thought to consider. The hardest part of any dialogue is its flow and attention to detail. Snippets are easier to follow and ensure their flow. Continual use of the characters names throughout a short, dialogue seem scripted and somewhat forced to me.

The storyline seems interesting but the format is more screen or stage play script then a story.

I look forward to seeing it grow.

Take care,
Chris



This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
...
I really love this write, This is really quite amazing, if you want the truth. I love the setting and the dialogue.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2011
Previous Versions

Author

Lana
Lana

Pretoria, North, South Africa



About
Loves art, writting (though only finished two short stories) Trying to make a comic book and cosplaying. I love metal and wish I could sing. more..