Good

Good

A Story by Leslie Gartrell
"

This is a story of a lonely young girl, of God and his sly ways, and of a boy.

"
Dads will always tell their daughters to wait for the right guy to come along, and to not settle for second best because we're worth it. "Wait for the guy that treats you like a queen," they say. And we smile and nod, but we don't really know what he's talking about until the right guy actually does come along. and sweep us off our feet How can we? How could I, of all people? I'd never really been all that popular with the guys, and my last relationship was with Simon Roberts in the seventh grade. It was pretty sad, actually. We didn't even hold hands.
I'd never admit it to anyone, save for God, but I was secretly very lonely. I felt very isolated, and even though I had a large number of people who loved and supported me, I still couldn't shake the feeling of being alone. I especially felt it at night, when I quietly whisper-yelled to God to take it away. Was it because I hadn't gone to church in so long? No, I think it was my lack of connection with him. I'd become disconnected from God.
But as I prayed one night- very hard, very quietly, but praying all the same- God finally smiled on me.
God gave me Brandon.
Refer back to the beginning, where I said that Dads' will always be telling their daughters to wait for the right guy, and that he'll treat you like a queen. Brandon does that. I didn't even know men like him existed, but there he was, proving me wrong. Proving that I didn't have to be alone anymore.
Brandon worked at the Music Center where I got guitar lessons. Brandon was shy. Brandon was 18, and he didn't even make eye contact with me until I questioned him before I walked out the door one day. He was in a local band (he was the drummer- I discovered this when they updated their Facebook with a picture). Low and behold, there he was- the stranger in the shop! I should say something to him, I told myself. He'll appreciate it.
As I left my lessons on a gloomy Tuesday evening in January, we spoke our first words.
I honestly can't tell you what all words were exchanged, but I do know that it made me very happy to talk to him. He evidently felt the same, because we soon exchanged number and talked everyday.
That boy changed me.
I told him about my dad's drinking problems, and how much I hated myself sometimes. I told him about the depression I'd struggled with, and poured out my soul to him quicker than I probably should have. Yet, I told myself I wasn't interested in dating him because I just wasn't all that great, and because he had a girlfriend for the longest time. But she let him go, which I'll never understand because that boy is perfect. And then girls came out of no where, telling him on social networking sites how cute or hot he was, how much they loved his music, asking him if he was still single.
"They can't say that!" I yelled to my sister one night out of frustration. "Look at all of them! They can't just say those things! Why can't they just leave him alone?"
"Leslie, are you jealous?" she replied with all too much glee in her voice.
"I am not jealous" I spat. "He's just....mine. And they can't say those things to him."
It was then that I realized that I wanted Brandon for my own. I couldn't stand to see him with another girl, to see her making him happy. No, that was my job. I would be the best for him, unlike any of them. They wanted him solely for the purpose of having him. I wanted him purely for his soul.
They would never know just how beautiful he was, how much he meant to me.
And then, and then- he told me he loved me.
Let it be known that in my sixteen years of existence, I had never been kissed, never been touched, let alone been loved. But there he was, saying it so naturally and so subtly that I almost dismissed it the first time I heard it. And then he said it again. And then he said it multiple times, and I finally understood what it meant to be loved. I finally understood what my dad has been telling me all these years.
Then, he kissed me.
We must have said goodnight ten times. I was so happy that night, and everything was so perfect, and then he kissed me. I had never been kissed, so it was very short. I will also admit, with only the tiniest bit of guilt, that I apologized for not knowing how to kiss. He told me it was fine, and then he kissed me again. I made sure the next time we kissed, I would be prepared. Thus I studied the art of kissing- I hope I'm not the only girl to do this. (I might as well let you all know, that much to my surprise I found out I was a good kisser. I have yet to explore this statement further.)
So, this is love. I don't know if I'll have him forever, or if he'll remember me in thirty years. I will always remember him, though, for setting the standard. I could never ask for a more perfect guy. I will remember Brandon as the guy who changed my mind about loneliness, about relationships, and about kissing. I may forget the thing's we've said and the places we've been, but I don't think I could ever forget the look he gave me before he kissed me for the first time, or the way he held my hand in the car when he drove me to his house. I will always have these.
We have had adventures. We have never fought. I have successfully staked my claim on him; he is mine, and I am his. Although we are not official and we are without titles, if I am stuck in this limbo with him forever- not merely just "talking," but not in a relationship- I believe I would still be satisfied because I would get to kiss him and hold him and make all the other girls wildly jealous. Brandon, I hope you never read this. But if you do, I hope you read it often.
This story is very short, and no, it does not have an ending. It, however, have romance, adventure, comedy, drama, and just a little bit of mystery. There is no moral to the story, but there is something I'd like to say: They lied. There are no fireworks when you kiss. The whole town is on fire instead.

© 2012 Leslie Gartrell


Author's Note

Leslie Gartrell
I'm not really sure what the point of this was. Like it or leave it, that's up to you. I'm really just a mad girl with an easily distracted mind. Please give any constructive criticism you'd find helpful. Thank you for reading!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

my word, this is breath taking. It had emotion and it was very sweet. Regardless of length it is incredible and i can honestly say this is exactly how writing should be done. bravo miss :)

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 29, 2012
Last Updated on May 29, 2012

Author

Leslie Gartrell
Leslie Gartrell

Greenfield, IN



About
I'm sixteen. I call myself awkward, but I'm actually just well-adjusted to adversity. Photography is my passion, but music will always have a special place in my heart. I adore writing, but I've heard.. more..