Aria's Sacrifice

Aria's Sacrifice

A Story by Milady_Alice_Clare

The child was sobbing pathetically, clutching at her torn tunic, her weak frame shaking with terror. He licked his lips, savouring the thought of squeezing every last drop of blood from her heart. He could feel the heat of her blood trickling through his fingers, the vivid red stark against the grime and filth of his skin. His black claws curled around the hilt of his sword.


She appeared out of nowhere. Another girl or woman. She stood protectively in front of the snivelling child, her boots planted squarely apart, her chest rising and falling as she glared at him. She was a fool. There was no bulk or muscle on her body, a blade dangling from her grasp. He could easily cast her aside in a single breath. These humans were idiots. His top lip curled back revealing his gleaming black fangs.

“Stand aside,” he ordered, his red eyes burning.

The girl did not move. She did not even blink.

He stepped forward, closer. She raised her sword in response. He towered over her, one swipe and she’d be gone.
“You have a death wish, fool,” he snarled.

Her eyes stared back at him, her jaw set. He sniffed the air. He could detect any fear on her, only the child’s behind her. He narrowed his eyes, really assessing her this time. He threw back his head and laughed. The sound was cruel and laced with malice. This girl was no threat to him. He would snuff out her life and she would die.
“I shall enjoy this.”

Hearing the blood curdling cackle of Sleltiss, Roscoe raised his head, slicing through the throat of a goblin and kicking the wailing carcass to the ground. He scanned the battlefield, through the melee of warriors and goblins. To the south, surrounded by corpses, stood Sleltiss, the girl in her white tunic cowering on the ground. Between them stood . . . Hie heart stopped, fear stilling his blood. Aria. What was she doing? Sleltiss would crush her, like a grape. He shoved an attacking goblin from his path and began to charge towards Aria.


Sleltiss swung his sword high. Roscoe’s stomach clenched, he was going to be too late. An ear splitting clang rang out. Sleltiss’ blade clashed into Aria’s as she blocked his strike. Roscoe gaped. Sleltiss was almost twice Aria’s size and had triple her physical strength, yet she was holding her ground, pushing his sword up as he bore down upon her. Ros could see her gritted teeth, the wind whipping her hair from its braid, her cloak billowing out behind her. She looked magnificent. They broke apart, Aria staggering back. Sleltiss roared and attempted another strike. Aria leapt back, avoiding his sword with skill and determination.


Sleltiss was angry now. He had defeated warrior after warrior with little exertion, now this woman, this girl was evading death. His magic was weakened, but he summoned up the last embers of dark fire and sent the flames hurtling towards her. She went motionless immediately and closed her eyes as if surrendering to certain death.


Across the field, Ros cried out. Agony punched through his chest. He could not save her. He would lose her, she would be gone forever. Her words echoed in his head.
‘ “I am not afraid of death. I am afraid of a wasted life, of never truly feeling anything.”’


In her mind’s eye, Aria could see the black fire advancing, cruel licks of flames promising excruciating pain and a slow death. She calmed her breathing and concentrated.


Ros stumbled on, the scene before him unfolding as if time had slowed. The black fire flying towards Aria but still not reaching her.


Sleltiss grinned. He would relish her screams. Fool, to think she could challenge him, that any mortal had the power to challenge him. He thought he would be facing the likes of Roscoe and Vizrel, not some mortal woman clearly out of her depth.


Aria slowly opened her eyes. Sleltiss’ mouth dropped open. Her feet had left the ground. She was rising up, floating in the air. She stretched out an arm and a spear of pure white light appeared in her hand.


The air left Ros’ lungs. Aria’s eyes were glowing white, like the spear she held. Her arm drew back and she loosed the spear. It sang through the air and pierced Sleltiss’ black fire, splintering it to ash. How was this possible? Aria was human. No human had ever wielded any kind of magic. As if hearing his thoughts, Aria’s gaze turned to his direction, her glowing eyes resting on him. She smiled softly and inclined her head briefly. Her attention snapped back to Sleltiss. She drew herself up, still suspended in the air, and began to run towards Sleltiss, her whole body ablaze with light.


Ros realised too late.

“No,” he gasped.

He was almost at them but he could not stop her now. Her smile had been a silent farewell. She was using her body as a weapon. A weapon to destroy Sleltiss and all his darkness. A weapon that would not survive the destruction. And he could not tell her what he would not tell her for so long, stubborn arsed male that he was. Now it would haunt him for eternity. The one woman who thought she was nothing but was the one woman who was everything

© 2017 Milady_Alice_Clare


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on August 9, 2017
Last Updated on August 9, 2017

Author

Milady_Alice_Clare
Milady_Alice_Clare

London, West Essex, United Kingdom



About
Recently completed the seventh draft of my novel. Also looking to share more of my other work. I've been writing since I was a kid and it has always been my dream to become a published writer. I'm pas.. more..

Writing