What he Deserved

What he Deserved

A Story by [Mackenzie]

'Maybe we should go back.'

Adder bared his teeth at the suggestion; clear evidence of his dislike for me. I shrugged calmly, not rising to the bait.

"It was just a suggestion," I pointed out. "No need to get worked up about it."

My companion turned his head, his icy glare pointing away from me. I shrugged again at his stubbornness and rolled my eyes, safe in the thought that he couldn't see me. I should have learned by then that he was more than he seemed.

His head whipped around again, eyes narrowed, jagged teeth glistening in a snarl. His hand rested on the hilt of his sword, and my own hand moved towards my dagger, hidden in a fold of my tunic.

"I don't even know why I'm out here with you," he hissed through clenched teeth, his voice sounding even more serpentine, inhuman, than it normally did. "But now that we're this far out, we are not going back, no matter how much I hate you."

He was right, of course. He was always right. We had travelled for leagues searching for an item only mentioned in legends. Nobody had ever seen the mystical blade before, so we were following a course mapped out in a myth. He was also right about hating me; although, he also hated most people.

Adder was different to most of the people in this world. Although many had animal blood coursing though their veins due to a genetic abnormality, Adder's made itself known, in his voice, teeth, mindset. A voice that hissed and spat, and yet was amazingly seductive. And a mindset that made him incredibly stubborn, disdainful, vicious, and prone to violence. It explained why his hand moved so quickly to his sword.

Furiously he kicked at the trunk of a tree - a crack appeared, running up the bark. A savage grin twisted his face, and I turned away, disgusted. He had little humanity, and he chose to flaunt that fact.

"Would you like me to leave, Adder?" I asked sarcastically. Not too surprisingly, he took me completely seriously.

"Yes, Ivy. I do. I can handle this adventure on my own."

I tossed my head irritably. "Fine. I'm heading back, and I won't let distance stop me. But first..."

I scrambled up the tree that he had just kicked, and leapt between the trees from branch to branch, putting as much distance between myself and Adder as I could in the timeframe I had. Suddenly, a scream tore through the air, and I shivered, but let a savage grin of my own creep across my face.

Adder had finally got what he deserved.

© 2009 [Mackenzie]


Author's Note

[Mackenzie]
Please don't ask about the names. Also, a volatile monster killed him. But other than that, what's wrong?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

not much. It owuld have been amazing if it was longer, maybe a story around it. But it just opens a slant wide enough for you to see in, and it was pretty good. Interesting. I would definantly read more if it was longer. I enjoyed your writing style. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 11, 2009

Author

[Mackenzie]
[Mackenzie]

Auckland, New Zealand



About
My name's Mackenzie, but I'll sign my reviews as Mackeznei because it sounds oh-so-much-cooler. I'm thirteen years old, living in the wonderful country of New Zealand. Oh and I'm a guy now! Unofficial.. more..

Writing
Torture Torture

A Story by [Mackenzie]


Delusional Delusional

A Story by [Mackenzie]