Inner Demon

Inner Demon

A Story by [Mackenzie]

I watched the air shimmer in front of Ferris' face. He was frozen, but not in the literal sense. He told me once, over a year ago, that it was like he was frozen in ice; in an endless cold abyss. But he wasn't, only frozen in time. I couldn't help wondering why I wasn't running away from him; I knew that his eyes would open, and they would be black like the night, and that could only mean one thing. He would lose control almost instantly, and this complete abandon of any humanity could last for days. I knew that I would be the first one to go, the first soul to go towards his insatiable hunger.

I knew the process. Time would seem to freeze for me, while it unsealed itself for him. It happened every year, and this was the first I had witnessed. He had explained it in detail for me. As soon as his eyes opened, his inner demons would release themselves, and he would lose all traces of his humanity. I would not be safe from him from the moment time started to move forward again, and he was out of his imprisonment. I didn't mind the outcome of this viewing. I knew he wasn't likely to regain his humanity after this.

Ferris was a demon, and many people knew that. He didn't try to keep it a secret. And each year, when time unfroze, it would take him longer to regain his humanity. He had told me to hide last year; then he came and found me. Five days after his release. Each time, it took longer. And each time, it was harder for him to come back to reality. He wouldn't be talking after this; his frenzy lasting most likely for the rest of his life. He would be driven out, exiled to the demon colonies far in the wilderness.

The air shimmered again, then the breeze that had blown on my face stopped. Time was stopping for me so it could start for him. I knew my end wasn't far off. But a life without Ferris, or without the Ferris I had come to know and love - it seemed unbearable. So he would live a half-life, no longer human, and I would sacrifice my soul to him so that I would not have to live the same half-life. It was a fitting end for someone who fraternised with a demon on a regular basis. I accepted this; so my smile mimicked his smirk as his eyes burned black and he bared his teeth in a savage, bloodthirsty grin.

© 2009 [Mackenzie]


Author's Note

[Mackenzie]
Ferris is a remake of an older character.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A excellent story. I had to read a second time. Those Inner Demon want more each time they take over the body and mind. A very good story. Thank you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


'He was frozen, but not in the literal sense. '

Not a required sentence, considering you go on to explain what you mean here.

'it was like he was frozen in ice; in an endless cold abyss. '

Not sure you need that second bit. 'It was like he was frozen in ice' would do.

'I knew that I would be the first one to go, the first soul to go towards his insatiable hunger.
I knew the process.'

Repetion of 'I knew'. That however is stylistic - nothing wrong with it if that is the intention.

Righty. It's not bad, but I dunno - it could be made a little longer if you went into memories rather then just explaining whats wrong with ferris. It could be made into a sad little story with two friends ultimately growing apart. Give it a little more time, and I think this could be cracking.


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 9, 2009

Author

[Mackenzie]
[Mackenzie]

Auckland, New Zealand



About
My name's Mackenzie, but I'll sign my reviews as Mackeznei because it sounds oh-so-much-cooler. I'm thirteen years old, living in the wonderful country of New Zealand. Oh and I'm a guy now! Unofficial.. more..

Writing
Torture Torture

A Story by [Mackenzie]


Delusional Delusional

A Story by [Mackenzie]