Ch. 05 - New Kid on the Block

Ch. 05 - New Kid on the Block

A Chapter by Seratha

I sighed half-heartedly, passing an egg salad sandwich from one hand to another with disinterest. Fifteen minutes into our lunch break and the most I managed to stomach was three bites. Two and a half, really. I couldn't be bothered to put in the effort for the third. My appetite had vanished, and honestly, it wasn't the only thing I wish would vanish at this point. The class was rowdier than normal today, and I had a feeling I knew the reason.


The transfer.


Leaning back in my seat, I turned my head slightly, hoping to pick up on nearby conversations. Not that I had to make the effort; the students were hardly going out of their way to be discreet.


“...all by herself like that? And those scars on her face...”

“...-ah, you should go talk to her.”


“Ew, no! You go talk...”


A group of girls giggled and whispered scathingly through their lunches. Though, to say they were “whispering” would be generous. Out of the corner of my eye I could see that Haruka was indeed, as the girls said, sitting alone. Huddled over her desk, head down, and gloved hands resting in her lap. If I didn't know any better, I would say she was sleeping, but her head stirred slightly now and again. She was sitting closer to the group of girls than me, so she must have been able to hear everything they were saying. How can she sit so quietly after hearing all of that?

By the looks of it, she wasn't eating either. Her desk held the same notebook and pen she used for Mr. Pelcuyk's Calculus lesson before lunch started. I glanced at my mostly uneaten sandwich. The thought of crossing the room and offering it to her flashed through my mind. With an irritated twitch of my brow, I dismissed the notion just as quickly. It's not my place to get involved. Right?


I will show Ms. Kisaragi around the school after class.


I guess I did say something like that, but it was a spur of the moment thing. I clicked my tongue in annoyance. Since when did I do anything on the “spur of the moment”? Hoping to distract myself from this train of thought, I turned my attention a group of boys joking to themselves nearby.


“...out the new girl after class.”


“Wha-? Naw, man, she's not my type...”


“...all cold and quiet and s**t. Look, she's just sittin' there, not talkin' to anyone.”


“-but once you warm 'em up, they do whatever the f**k you want!”


“You just don't wanna look at her face, right?”


The boy who spoke clenched at the right side of his face, rolling his eye back and hanging his tongue from his mouth. They laughed.


“That's why you f**k her from behind!”


Another round of uproarious laughter. I rolled my eyes. Haruka couldn't possibly ignore them; they were practically announcing it to the entire class. I shifted in my seat, trying to catch the excited whispers of the students hanging around the holoboard at the front of the classroom. Hopefully their conversation would be less crude.


“...Kisaragi, right?”


“You don't think she's related to that Kisaragi...?”


“No way! Like he would let his daughter study out...”


“...not even a human anyway.”


Kisaragi, huh? Now that would an interesting development, however unlikely it may be. Regardless, he doesn't seem like the type to take on a daughter, or an alien one, at that.


“...you even listening to me?”


Ven's waving fork managed to find its way into my line of sight.


“...Huh?” I finally blurted out after taking a few moments to register what was happening.


Ven sighed audibly, stabbing his fork back into his rather unpleasant looking meal. We shared my desk during lunch, where the majority of its space was taken up by his exotic looking, and strange smelling, meals. Eyeing me with a look of annoyance, he continued exasperatedly, “You've been spacing out this whole time. You're the one who wanted to use our lunch breaks to get extra work done.”


“Sorry. No, I'm fine. What were you saying? Something about the school trip?”


His blank stare told me that I was completely off. I gave him an apologetic look, but he just shook his head and returned to shoveling his food.


“Could've been picking up one of those girls this whole time...” he grumbled bitterly, thrusting his chin out off-handedly in the direction of the girls behind me, the ones I had been eavesdropping on earlier.


I smiled bleakly. I don't think they're your type. As Ven continued to slurp up what appeared to be intestines of a Skudge, a dog-like species with two mouths native to Kelthon, I found my gaze periodically returning to our transfer student. Still as motionless as before. A silent statue, alone amid a sea of students.


Just go talk to her? Don't be absurd.


“Why don't you just go talk to her?” said Ven through a mouthful of food.


“Wha-!?” I jumped.


“Jumped”? When have I ever “jumped” at anything? I peered at Ven suspiciously. Kelions didn't have the ability to read minds, at least, I'm almost positive they didn't. Maybe he just knew me better than I would like to admit.


“You keep giving her that look. Go over there and talk to her already.”


“What look? I don't have a look,” I contested hotly, though I could feel blood rushing to my ears.


“But you admit you've been staring at her.”


I gritted my teeth. Ven always had one over me. “I'm going to the restroom,” I said flatly, not wanting to be subject to his accusations any longer.


He chuckled victoriously, stopping only to call out, “Oi, wait! History starts in five minutes!”


Ignoring him, I brusquely made my way out of the classroom, pausing only to flash my usual smile to the classmates who greeted me along the way. Out in the hall I did the same as students begrudgingly filed back into their classes for fifth period.

Luckily, the restrooms were nearby and surprisingly empty. Propping myself up by the cold steel rim of the closest sink, I stared into my reflection for the second time that day. Nothing had changed since this morning, except my cheeks were redder than usual. I rubbed them softly. Warm.

Perhaps I was feeling a bit under the weather, as improbable as that is. Or was it nerves? Is that why I haven't had much of an appetite? Impossible. Me, Claire Walker, getting nervous? Laughable, to say the least. No, it must be something else. Something else entirely. I tapped the mirror pointedly before leaving. I'm sure the reason would make itself clear soon enough.

I exited the restroom to find the hallways vacant, save for a few third year stragglers lazily slipping into their respective classrooms. The bell had rung while I was still interrogating myself in the mirror, but Ms. Wilbury won't mind if I'm just a little late. I stiffened my stride at the thought. Getting lax with myself is a slippery slope, and I can't afford to have that happen.


“Walker!”


Suppressing a disgusted groan, I halted just before turning the corner to where classes 3-1 to 3-3 were located. That familiar guttural drone could only belong to one person: Vice-Principal Drentin. So close. Just a few more steps and I could have slipped past him unnoticed, but, I digress.


Putting on my brightest smile, I about-faced, “Yes, Mr. Drentin?”


The Vice-Principal limped over to me, holding a crumpled paper in his claws. I peered past him to see the Chemistry Laboratory's door ajar. What was he doing in there? My curiosity was quickly answered with the acrid stench of smoke that clung to Drentin's vermillion fur coat. I can only imagine.


“The bell rang, Walker. Or do you think being President means you can skip class?” he growled, his upper lip curling back to reveal large, gleaming fangs. Drentin is a Risha'tek, a race of feral humanoid creatures; in my opinion, he's just an oversized cat with the sour attitude to match. His reddish-orange fur coat is lined with black stripes and patchy around his ears and burly forearms, belying his age.


“Did it? I hadn't noticed,” I replied airily, coating over my sarcasm as thickly as possible and choosing to ignore his swipe at my stature, “but, can I help you with something?” I eyed the paper he held at his side. Or did you call me over just to irritate me?


He must have sensed my duplicity because his feline eyes narrowed at my question. Either way, he didn't press it, but merely shoved the roughly worn paper into my face. “This,” he said sharply.


I took the paper from him, creasing out the wrinkles with my fingers. “This” appeared to be a request form submitted by the Light Music Club to use the Music Room after school for all of next week. From what I could make out, it had been submitted and filed more than two weeks ago. The signature of one of the Student Council aides was scrawled at the bottom, next to the faded image of my stamp used to approve all forms.


“What seems to be the prob-”


“The problem, Walker, is that the Debate Club is scheduled to use the Music Room next week, which you approved even before this one!” he snarled, snatching back the paper with a swipe of his claw.


I bit my tongue. A double booking? How trivial.


“Is this how you plan on running the Student Council this year? Huh? If you can't do this job properly, then I'll find someone who will!”


Then again, trivial is what Drentin is all about. He used anything from accounting errors, to filing mistakes, to schedule conflicts for a chance to shove this tirade down my throat. He usually started with my incompetency and arrogance, then lead into how I was “elected on a whim” out of “pure luck” and that it was only a matter of time until I slipped up and he would have a chance to replace me with one of his little lapdogs.

That began last year, when I crushed my opponent and became the youngest Student Council President since the school's inception. What drove him over the edge, however, was the fact that I garnered more alien voters than the alien puppet he was backing. But what can I say? The student body knows greatness when they see it.


“Fix it,” he said finally, “On my desk, tomorrow morning.”


“I understand,” I said complacently.


Satisfied with my answer, Drentin gave another low growl and shuffled off in the opposite direction and out of sight. The error wasn't my fault. Such mistakes were beneath me, but this was the fastest way to get rid of him. I had heard enough of his ranting for today, and by my estimates, I would be getting much more of it in the near future.

I relaxed my cheek muscles. Pretending to smile for that long was tiring. On my way to the classroom, I reached into my skirt pocket and pulled out a thin, light-weight metal panel, about the size of a small ruler. A dial and several flashing buttons adorned its surface, as well as a digital clock that read for fifteen past the hour. That late, huh? I gave a rueful sigh before class 3-2's door. After putting on the appropriate air of grace and dignity, I slid it open.


Ms. Wilbury stopped mid sentence to acknowledge my entrance, “Oh, Ms. Walker. How kind of you to join us.”


The entire class had their eyes on me as well, not that I wasn't used to that by now, anyway. “My apologies,” I said, bowing my head.


“Well, now that you're here, why don't you explain to the class the events surrounding Red Christmas?” said Ms. Wilbury with a glint in her eye. On the holoboard behind her were old pictures of New York City, Beijing, London, Tokyo, Berlin, and Moscow.


“Of course,” I nodded and began walking toward my seat, speaking along the way, keeping one hand behind my back, and

using the other for emphatic gestures, “Seventeen years ago on December 21st, the Arayians of the Hylon System invaded Earth, attacking most of our planet's major cities simultaneously. After two weeks of warfare, the Arayians retreated. The resulting diplomatic exchange between the two species lead to the creation of the Systems Federation nearly a year later.”


The class remained silent after my rather grandiose and precise explanation. That is, until Ven suddenly jumped from his seat and began clapping and whooping excitedly. The room erupted into laughter, even Ms. Wilbury could hardly suppress a girlish giggle. I smirked at my fellow Student Council member, who winked back deviously. Only he had the gall, or perhaps the guts, to mock me so openly. But, it was all in good fun.


“Very good, Ms. Walker. You may take your seat,” grinned Ms. Wilbury once the laughter had died down.


Bowing my head again, I took my seat and allowed my thoughts to once again resume their wandering discourse. It was so difficult to pay attention in class these days. The pictures on the holoboard were replaced with images of war ravaged cities, devastated by superior Arayian weaponry. Ms. Wilbury was in lecture mode again, but her adamant, yet still honey-dipped, words barely floated into my memory.


“...know it had to do with an ancient legend passed down among their people that told of the mysterious Hylonians. For that, we have to look back even further, millions of years...”


* * *


I did a double take on the notebook I was about to place in my book bag. All along the page margins for my History and Physics notes, I had apparently written large and very stylistic looking “H's”.


What the hell was I doing for the past three hours?


I stuffed the notebook into my bag with a twinge of annoyance. Scanning the room, I found that most of the class had left to go do club activities or head home. Chattering handfuls remained here and there, and out in the hall. Ven had shot out of the classroom as the dismissal bell rang, presumably to do more work in the Student Council Room. At least, I hope he's doing work, and not just hitting on any straggling girls downstairs. He may be a hard worker, but he's still a boy, after all.

I pondered for a moment as to whether or not he would think I am a hypocrite for thinking that. But this is different. This is business. Two pieces of business, in fact. The first piece of business in question was still sitting at her seat, as silent and motionless as she was seven hours ago. She was already packed up, her hands keeping a death grip on the bag laying on her desk.


I swung my own over my shoulder, inhaling deeply. Here goes nothing. What am I, nervous? Please.


“Kisaragi, if you're ready, I will show you around campus.” My words came out more rigidly than I expected.


Haruka's eyes remained downcast, but she nodded obediently. When she got to her feet, I noticed she slouched in a somewhat pronounced manner, probably to keep her face as discreet as possible. Trying to avoid staring at her scars, I took the lead out of the classroom.

Outside, however, I could see not everyone was as tactful as I was. There weren't many students left around, but there were enough that their very stares were palpable. This certainly was a change of pace. Usually everyone's eyes are fixated on me.


“This way,” I said curtly, directing her toward the third floor restrooms and the Chemistry Laboratory.


Curtly? My tone isn't helping. Neither are the hushed whispers of everyone we pass, but there isn't much I can do about that. Not to mention Haruka is slowly walking at arm's distance behind me, like I'm leading her to a prison cell or something. Amicable, Claire. She's just like everybody else, aside from the obvious. Just don't point that out.


“Here are the Chem Labs we use twice a week, and just around this corner are the restrooms.”


I continued down the rest of the third floor, pointing out the various notable classrooms. I skipped the fourth floor entirely; she wouldn't need to go up there until next year, assuming she stuck around. Given the first day impressions, though, I'd be surprised if she stuck out a month, let alone a year. On the second floor I showed her the Biology and Physics Laboratories, as well as the Art Room.

On the way past the A.V. Room, I noticed Haruka hadn't said a word since we started. She would just nod at each room, not even looking up above the rim of her glasses to see where we were. Unless she plans on memorizing the floor tiles to get around the school. I stifled a smile. Joking? Now, of all times? It's like I'm leading a death march here. Maybe I really am nervous.


I paused at the base of the first floor staircase, waiting for Haruka to catch up. Enough is enough. “Haruka,” I called out, noticing she jumped at the sound of her name, “May I call you Haruka?”


“Y-Yes,” she replied quietly, almost inaudibly. She may have finally spoken to me, but she kept her eyes glued to our feet, slightly to the right so her bangs would cover as much of the scarring as possible.


“That's an interesting name. Haruka Kisaragi. Japanese, right?” I asked, somewhat cautiously. I had finally gotten her to speak to me, but I hoped I wasn't pressing things too far.


I didn't ask her outright, but she must have gotten the implication of my question, because she answered, “M-My foster parents gave it to me.”


Foster parents? Makes sense. It's not exactly common for aliens to have human names, let alone Japanese names, even if they were born on this planet. Regardless, I didn't press any further. It goes without saying that she has a storied past, and a painful one by the looks of those scars.

I set us off on our tour once again, this time slowing my pace enough so that we walked relatively side by side to one another. I could feel Haruka freeze up at my new proximity. Aside from that, if she had any aversion to it, she didn't show it.


“I-I am a C-Cassadrian from Hecuba VI. After my p-paren-” she paused, sinking her chin even deeper into her chest, “-I was taken in by a Japanese foster family.” Her tiny voice was quivering by the end of her sudden statement.


I only nodded in response, unsure if she noticed at all. Hecuba VI? If I remember correctly, that planet is in the Ozumot System. But I was amazed that she had spoken by her own volition, rather than waiting to be asked. I understood now. Haruka wasn't acting cold and distant at all. In reality, she may be quite friendly. She's just timid and shy. Painfully so, and for good reason, I imagine.

While reveling in my discovery, we arrived at our second to last stop for today. We could cover the rest of the campus some other time. “This is the Music Room,” I said proudly, knocking on the room's sliding door, “If you close all of the doors and windows leading inside, it's actually soundproof.” Haruka's amber eyes held an interested look for a change. Perhaps she was finally warming up to me.


A yellow flyer posted on the door advertised the upcoming music recital. On it were the list of performers, and at the very top, in much larger letters, was the name Hannah Devine.


“M-Miss President!”


Speaking of which. I turned to see Hannah rushing down the hallway in my direction, followed by two flustered looking girls.


“Hannah, I was just about to-”


“I'm really sorry!” she interrupted, slipping into a waist-level bow. Her two companions did the same. I could see their slender frames shuddering from exhaustion. They must have been running all over campus to find me, since I wasn't at my usual spot in the Student Council Room by now. But what is this all about? “I can't stay after school and practice with you today. I'm really, really sorry, but I have club activities that I have to do...” her breathless voice trailed off. Her fellow second years remained wide-eyed and silent, nodding along with her statement.


“I see. It's fine, we can do it some other time.”


Disappointment must have read more clearly on my face than I realized, because Hannah quickly followed up, “Tomorrow!” she stammered apprehensively, “Can we- Can we try again tomorrow?”


“Sure, I'll meet you here after school. And again, please call me Claire.” I said, drawing myself closer to her. I noticed the three girls' faces flush immediately.


“Thank you, C-Claire!” she said my name sheepishly, like an innocent young girl breaking a rule for the first time. The trio sped off without another word, presumably waiting until they were out of earshot to burst into a fit of giggles and whispering.


Looks like I would have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. Just as well, I suppose, since I still have one other matter to deal with at the moment.


“Sorry about that, Har-” I looked around, but there was no sight of her, “Haruka?”


There she is. A curved, ivory white horn, along with a few locks of short black hair poked out from behind the nearby stairwell. Was she hiding? Meeting new people is definitely not her strong suit.


“Haruka?” I said, leaning over the banister, “Let's go upstairs.”


She mumbled a reply that I didn't quite catch, and followed me up to the Student Council Room.


* * *


Empty, as usual. Aside from the mountains of paper littering nearly ever desk, and Ven's belongings splayed haphazardly across the floor, that is. I set down my own things and began pulling out various forms and schedules to begin working. “Please, have a seat,” indicating the chair next to me.


Haruka gingerly sank into the plastic seat, taking in the undoubtedly absurd scenery of hundreds of unorganized papers. “There is a mistake here,” she said suddenly, tracing a gloves finger on a form I had placed on the desk, “A-And here.”


I inspected the paper more closely. It was the form Theresa had given to me earlier, an account and inventory on Class 3-3 for the school trip. Even though it was still months away, such financial obligations had to be taken care of in advance. Haruka was right, though. There were some accounting errors resulting in a few hundred dollars over budget.


“Good eye,” I said, then it hit me. “Are you good at math?”


“N-Not really...” she replied softly, nervously rubbing her arm.


Not one to be dissuaded, I bent down until I was eye level with her. I could see that she was still very much aware of how close I was getting to her recently. Even though they were obscured by her dark hair, her eyes wavered anxiously. The minute details of the scarring covering the right side of her face were much more visible; twisting tendrils of red and black tissue, desperately trying to remain hidden behind a shroud of elongated bangs.


“How would you like to join the Student Council?”


“N-No, I don't- I don't think...” she said quietly, her amber eyes darting back and forth, trying to avoid my own penetrating stare.


“Really? I would love to have you around,” I was whispering now, drawing my face closer to hers.


Haruka's milky white cheek tinged to a soft pink, but her nervousness finally snapped at my advances. She clamored noisily out of her seat, flustering, “I-I should be going!” She strode toward the exit, not giving me a second glance.


“Think about it! I'll see you tomorrow, Haru,” I sweetly dipped my new pet name for her.


She froze at the doorway. Apparently it had not gone unnoticed. “G-Good bye, Claire!” she said with finality, even managing to raise her voice slightly above her usual timid tone. And with that, she vanished down the hallway.


I slid into her vacated seat, pressing a pen to my lips contemplatively. Claire, huh? What an interesting new girl we have in our school. 



© 2012 Seratha


Author's Note

Seratha
I missed a week, so this chapter is twice as long as usual. There's a lot of dialogue and introspection on Claire's part, so I hope it isn't confusing. I'd love some feedback on the characters though, their initial impression, and their lines, if possible.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

368 Views
Added on March 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 18, 2012
Tags: sci-fi, aliens, supernatural, murder, mystery, magic


Author

Seratha
Seratha

Riverside, CA



Writing