Decisions

Decisions

A Chapter by SamwisetheGay
"

In a world that seems hopeless, there are still innocents that deserve compassion. Surely the almighty can't get mad if Elias helps just one innocent child.

"
Wandering the rain-slicked streets of Earth on his patrol, Elias moves with a sense of duty. In his human guise, his once-radiant wings are hidden, and his halo is shrouded from sight. The sky is a heavy blanket of gray, and the incessant rain muffles the city's usual clamor. Holding a battered umbrella that offers little protection from the downpour, Elias walks steadily down the sidewalk. He notices a homeless man huddled in a narrow, grimy alley, seeking refuge from the relentless storm. Elias's heart tugs with sympathy, and he crouches before the man.

"Excuse me, sir," he says softly, extending a thick wad of cash. The rain pelts around them, a backdrop to their quiet exchange. Money is no burden for him, and though divine rules dictate he should not interfere, he has never been able to ignore those in distress. "Please, find a room for the night and get yourself some warm food," he adds, placing the money in the man’s trembling hand.

The man's eyes flicker with a mix of gratitude and desperation as he clutches the cash. Elias senses a pang of disappointment as he glimpses the man's thoughts. Though he promises to use the money wisely, Elias can see his true intent: to chase another fix, whether alcohol or drugs. Feeling a wave of defeat, Elias watches as the man disappears into the rain. The weight of his father’s judgment presses heavily on him. Perhaps the world is indeed beyond redemption. With a sigh of resignation, Elias continues down the street.

As he passes a hospital, the distant beeping of machines and the murmur of worried voices filter through the walls. Suddenly, a faint voice pierces through the noise in his ears. "If you can hear me, God, I need help. I’m so sick, and I don’t want to be sick anymore. I’m not asking for healing for myself. My mom and dad, I see how sad they are. I don’t want them to be sad anymore."

Elias feels a sharp twist in his heart as the voice of a child, no older than seven or eight, reaches him. He glances up at the overcast sky, sensing an invisible observer. Though he can not see them, he knows his father watches all. He understands he should not interfere�"miracles are reserved for the chosen. Yet the child’s plea, so innocent and frail, strikes a chord deep within Elias. His resolve wavers as he contemplates the boy’s desperate situation.

---------
The hospital room feels cold and lifeless, the scent of antiseptic heavy in the air. Harsh fluorescent lights buzz overhead, casting a sterile, almost too-bright glow on everything they touch. The faint beeping of a heart monitor nearby and the muffled footsteps of nurses and doctors in the halls outside are the only backdrop.

In the center of the room lays a frail young boy, laid under a thin sheet. His eyes seem dull and hollow, his skin pale as paper. The boy is thin, almost skeletal, and Elias' heart goes out to him. A young child with cancer, untreatable. Yet somehow, the boy looks at peace, as if he has accepted his fate. Aiden’s shallow breaths are the only other sound in the stillness, each one a faint whisper of life. The hospital's only job for this boy now is to keep him comfortable before he passes.

Sitting nearby in uncomfortable looking chairs are a woman and a man. Both adults somehow look worse than the boy, defeat and grief on their faces, even in sleep. They have already accepted their sons death and now wait simply for it all to be over. It breaks something deep inside Elias, a crack forming in the faith he’s held for eons. The conflict gnaws at him�"how could he, a servant of divine love, stand by and let this happen? For the first time, doubt seeps into his thoughts, making him question not just his Father’s plan but his own purpose. To heal this boy would mean going against everything he was taught, and yet… how could he not?

The boy in question is wide awake, watching his parents with a deep sorrow a boy so young should never have to experience. Elias appears by the boy's side, invisible to all but the boy. He kneels down by the bed and offers a gentle smile. The boy jumps, startled by Elias's sudden presence, but the angel shakes his head and puts a finger to his lips.

"It's alright, you are safe," he whispers and offers a hand for the boy to take. The boy looks into Elias' eyes, fear and confusion written on his face. Hesitantly, the boy reaches out and takes Elias' offered hand. "What is your name?"

"A-Aiden," the boy, Aiden whispers as he gazes into Elias' eyes. Elias smiles and squeezes Aiden's hand. He nods and holds up his free hand, his eyes shining with enthusiasm. A tiny blue flame flickers in the palm of Elias' hand, giving Aiden's face a soft blue glow.

"Aiden," Elias repeats and makes the flame swirl around his hand before disappearing. Aiden's eyes widen in awe and amusement as he watches the flame, enraptured by the strange man in front of him. "Your name means little flame. It is a perfect name for you, Aiden. Do you know why?"

Aiden shakes his head no and releases Elias' hand. Elias lets his hands fall to his sides, and he offers another reassuring smile. "Because fire is powerful. Fire can destroy villages or help make them. You have a fire in you, Aiden. A small flame inside you that hasn't been extinguished yet."

Aiden looks down, his small fingers fidgeting with the sheet. "But… what if my flame goes out?" he whispers, his voice trembling with fear and uncertainty.

Elias crouches closer, his voice firm but gentle. "Your flame is stronger than you think, Aiden. Even in the darkest times, it can’t be extinguished. It lives on in every smile, every memory, and every heartbeat. And as long as I’m here, I’ll help you keep it burning bright, if you will let me."

"How?" Aiden whispers in amazement, his eyes wide with hope. The young boy’s thoughts flood through Elias’s mind, and the angel feels a mix of shame and adoration. Aiden believes God sent him an angel, but Elias knows the truth�"how would the boy feel if he realized that God doesn’t care, at least not in the way Aiden believes?

"I heard your prayer, Aiden. I will heal you," Elias says with a gentle smile. As he takes both of Aiden’s hands in his, a sudden heaviness settles over him, like a crushing wave pulling him down to the earth. His father is not pleased, but it doesn’t matter. He will be forgiven; he always is.

"Close your eyes, Aiden, and make a wish," Elias whispers, shaking off the oppressive weight. Aiden’s wish fills his mind, but it’s more than just words�"flashes of memories flood in: Aiden and his parents playing in the park, attending sports events, laughing with friends. The warmth of these memories wraps around Elias like a blanket. It’s hope, pure and simple.

A tear slips down Elias’s cheek as he channels his healing power into Aiden. As his energy pours into the boy, Elias feels the warmth of Aiden’s wish become a part of him. The boy’s face brightens, health returning with each passing second.

As Elias opens his eyes, the last thing he sees is Aiden’s radiant, healthy face�"before he is suddenly pulled back to Heaven.


© 2024 SamwisetheGay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Finely laid words that flow without theatrics yet I felt - perhaps because of this post's length, that there was going to be some unexpectant turns of normality. And there were. Prefer not to mention the content because there are unique events that stand hand in hand - yet not. This makes for both emotional and very fine reading. Many thanks for sharing..

Posted 3 Weeks Ago


SamwisetheGay

3 Weeks Ago

Thank you so much! ^-^ I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the read
emmajoygreen

3 Weeks Ago

I did enjoy the read, very much! I try to cover as much ground with older and newer writers, not a.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

73 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 26, 2024
Last Updated on August 26, 2024
Tags: Angel, cancer, sickness, self doubt, occult, questions, fiction, fantasy, religious, religion


Author

SamwisetheGay
SamwisetheGay

Atlanta, GA



About
My name is Sam, I'm a nonbinary, pansexual, pagan. Was born in '97, Kind of awkward and suck at writing but I'm that's what I'm here for. Be as harsh as you like in your feedback ^-^ more..

Writing
Myra Myra

A Chapter by SamwisetheGay


Erín Erín

A Chapter by SamwisetheGay