They Know

They Know

A Story by Samuel Collier
"

This is just a small short story this particular one is called a flash fiction( if you don't know what it is look it up) so it might be a bit weird.

"

They Know

Two years into their trip to Mars the crew of U.S.S. Generic Spaceship were attacked by a strange alien ship. What will they do now?  Will they survive?

“They’re after us!” John, the captain, yelled, expertly handling the spacecraft. I ran to the armory for some protection.  I didn’t want this, but deep down I knew that a trip to Mars never ends well.

“ Crash!”

A rocket shot from the alien ship, smashing the room in front of me, completely destroying a section of the wall. The blast doors slammed shut before I could get pulled out.

“Al! Are you alright!” Sam, John’s wife, yelled to me.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Okay, then get to the control center.  John has an idea.”

We both ran to John.

He turned towards us. “ See that  meteor storm over there?  If we can get through it, we might be able to get away.”

I stared at him. “Are you crazy?  The autopilot is down, we’ll die!”

“Well, this is the only chance we have to survive.” He looked out into the void. “I want you two in the pods and if we get hit with a single blast, you eject.”

Sam looked at him, “But you’ll...”

John looked at her with tears in his eyes. “Honey, I have to do this for you and Al.”

She nodded.  “Come on Al, we’re getting to the pods.”


* * * * *

I watched through the window of the pod, and I saw John weaving the ship through the dangerous meteor field. I looked behind us, and I gasped; the ship was larger than I could’ve imagined. It was more of a mobile moon than a ship. It was so massive that the asteroids did nothing to it, they just broke apart, submitting to the obviously superior foe.

Sam started  to sob, “John’s never going to outrun this, he's going to die.”

I felt the depression, too. The empty hopelessness that was slowly...

“Wait… What is that?!” Sam pointed to the arm extending from our ship.

I stared at it and replied, “ I have no idea.”

The arm reached out and John placed a few tons of TNT on a meteor and flicked it toward the enemy ship. You’ve got to love John and his explosives. The rock smashed into the ship triggering a huge explosion. The ship slowed down to a stop, it’s main engine gone.

We ran out of the pods to John, and Sam embraced him crying on his shoulder. “Don’t ever be that stupid again.”

He hugged her. “You know I’m always going to be stupid.”

“Oh, shut up, John,” she said as she pulled him into a kiss.

I fake a gag, “Jeez, guys, get a room.”

They both laughed, and I decided to join in.

“BOOM!” An explosion hit the front of our ship, sending it along with us, flying through space.


* * * * *

I woke up in a grassy field, the wreckage of the ship behind me. I sat up.  John and Sam were both a few feet from me. We were on an island; no sign of land in any direction.

John sat up, “ Where are we?”

I looked at him, “Maybe we crashed back on earth.”

“Oh, well.  Al, send a signal, I’ll start the shelter.”


* * * * *

Two aliens looked down through a glass table at the three humans running about making a shelter and gathering food.

The first alien looked at the other, “When do you think they’ll realize…?”



The End

© 2016 Samuel Collier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

So John, Al and Sam suddenly became captives of the large aliens? Was not expecting this. I would be interested in more adventures of them exploring under the glass table and finally learning truth. Thanks for the story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Samuel Collier

8 Years Ago

Thank You I'm glad you enjoyed it and I think a sequal to the story would be a great idea i will sta.. read more
Daniel Seward

8 Years Ago

Best of luck to you.
Samuel Collier

8 Years Ago

Thank you again.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

205 Views
1 Review
Added on June 9, 2016
Last Updated on December 1, 2016
Tags: space, plot twist, flash fiction

Author

Samuel Collier
Samuel Collier

Lawton, OK



About
I'm a pretty nice guy, I'm decently funny. I love to cook and write. I dislike most sports, but I do like to play chess, cricket, tennis, and soccer. I love playing music and can play around 10 instru.. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Story by Samuel Collier