The Celebration

The Celebration

A Story by SUGATA M
"

Euthanasia is still not legalized in India. The story based on Euthanasia is written in the background of Mumbai, based on a true incidence that only happened on the other part of the world.

"

I saw her in the mid of the crowd.

She waved at me. I waved back.

She must have shed some dozen of kilos, looking svelte and promising like the golden days of our old dates.

Our parting away was inevitable. She was a Catholic. I was a Hindu. Our parents were not liberal like us.

But we remained connected through chats, calls and messages. At least the technology didn’t ditch us.

We used to exchange pics from time to time. She gained weight rapidly after her marriage. I often pulled her legs on her post-marital transformation that were often revealed in her pics. ‘Your hubby must have kept you on some special diet. Your recent pics say that every time.’ 

After my marriage she sent back the pinch quite nicely. ‘I just loved your sweet, little paunch that you couldn’t hide in your pics any more. Gift from your wife dear?’ 

 

Her marriage remained unfortunately without an offspring. One day she messaged me that she just got the divorce from her husband. She never exposed the reason to me. I didn’t also insist her to disclose that.

 

After a couple of years she entered into the second innings of her marital life. I fathered my second daughter during the same time. ‘I am taking another chance. Rakesh seems to a be a sensible guy.’ Her message made me little restless. But I didn’t ask her the religion of Rakesh. 

Religion shouldn’t remain barrier for a long time in building relationships of life.

 

Incidentally the second marriage didn’t also work for her.

‘I believe I am not eligible for a long-term relationship.’ She texted to me in subsequent days. 

 

The string of communications still flowed between us following her second nuptial split but thinned out quite a bit as time ran out. That was natural. Her friendship was important to me but not essential that I happened to think before. She must have reciprocated in the same length about our routine and formal friendship.

 

I was wrong.

 

The unexpected invitation to her unique celebration of life amazed me a lot.

 

‘I have invited some essential people of my life to this event. I hate you to be missed.’ It said.

 

I still remained in the list of the essential people of her life after so many years of our break-up! That instantly generated a rhythmic, good feeling in me.

I decided to attend her invitation without a second thought.

 

The celebration of the journey to life! That’s what she wrote in her mail.

 

The crowd was small, hardly ten people gathered in her place and the music sounded pleasant and soothing in the background. 

Beethoven!  

I still remembered her passion for the old Western classics. She was once mad about them.

 

She didn’t probably change much in these long twenty years. The old charm and charisma was yet to find the exit door from her. The thin, tall, raven-haired woman of early-forties was looking ravishing in her gorgeous white top and gown. 

 

We met for a short time at the midst of the crowd. We hugged lightly and pampered each other with affectionate, innocent pecks. 

‘Esther, you are looking simply out of the world today. Where those extra kilos are gone?’

‘Sameer, you are yet to learn the tricks of flirt, darling!’

‘Am I so bad?’

‘You are awful.’

‘You expected something better?’

‘Much better.’

She then called a handsome, medium-height and well-dressed gentleman to us.

‘Let me introduce Rakesh to you. Rakesh is my ex-husband number two.’

 

So she also invited her ex life-partner here! Interesting indeed!

 

‘You know Sameer, what was the first reaction of Rakesh after we came face to face here?’ She winked. ‘He said, let’s marry once more to start afresh. Your charm is simply torturing me.’ 

 

Her sudden outburst of giggle sounded rather cheap to me. Rakesh tried to bring some vanity in his face that looked awfully odd and fake. I could produce only a moronic smile to keep pace with their bizarre responses.

 

‘Sameer, why not you take some good flirting tips from Rakesh?’

 

She then called one more gentleman to our loose gathering, a bit aged, tall, pot-bellied with thick, rimless specs. ‘He is Albert. My first ex.’ ‘Ex’ became consciously tangible in her speech. ‘ Sameer, he is also a doc like you, but a gynecologist. His wife belongs to the same trade like him. Rakesh and Albert,’ she then addressed to both her ex-hubbies, ‘Sameer happened to be my once upon a time boy-friend but only before marriage.’ Interestingly she didn’t add the often-talked ‘ex’ tag to my name. ‘We couldn’t tie the knot because our parents disapproved union of two people hailing from two different religions missing out completely the chemistry between us. Religion won over love once again! And the same of us say ‘Love is God’. How silly we are! Aren’t we?’ 

 

She stunned all of us after a long time by her usual straight-forward statement.

 

Soon she left three of us for the other guests. We chatted aimlessly for some time over the drinks. Rakesh was an entrepreneur with strong knack in painting. His wife was a well-known painter. 

So both her ex-husbands were remarried to women from the same trade or with similar liking. 

 

How come life is so damn interesting!

 

Esther’s aged tutor was the eldest among the guests. She also invited two of her ex-bosses, the transgender partner of her previous cosmetics and spa business which brought her mammoth financial loss, her cousin sister with whom she had fiercely competed over a common crush in the school, the priest of the local church and a tall, dark and handsome middle-aged gentleman whom she didn’t introduce to anyone of us till now.

 

‘I can swear he is going to be her husband number three.’ Rakesh whispered to my ear.

I turned to him with an inquisitive look.

‘See how intimately they are talking to each other. Wait for some more time. She will announce her third marriage soon. The priest is here to offer them blessings and might even declare them as man and wife.’ Albert made his mind alive in the next moment. 

‘She has donned a bride’s attire today. I noticed in the beginning itself.’ Rakesh responded in a funny tone.

 

Does it mean she invited us to her third marriage in the name of celebration of life?

‘Can’t marriage be very well a part of life’s celebration?’ I broke my silence.

‘Provided you have enough stock of celebration after the marriage.’ Rakesh’s immediate poke snapped my ears.

‘I pity that good-looking gentleman.’ Said Albert hinting out to the unknown man with Esther. ‘I am clueless what he saw in this woman.’ 

‘What you and I saw years ago and got trapped and teased and tossed.’ Rakesh pinched again. ‘But this new friend of us,’ he patted my back, ‘is the only lucky dog.’

‘Why are you saying so?’ I asked him.

‘You escaped on the right time leaving her with us to marry.’

 

I didn’t know how much of that carried the truth.

 

Was she really so meaningless as a life-partner? I never had the chance to know and verify.

So answer was unknown to me.

 

I started mingling with the rest of guests after that. Otherwise sticking to the group of ‘ex’ didn’t look very much impressive to even self.

 

I started with the cousin sister of Esther. She was of Esther’s age, good-looking but a bit voluptuous. I knew about their teenage crush since the time we were seeing each other. 

Her name was Jammy . She headed an ad agency based at Bandra.

‘You look familiar. We met before but I can’t remember where and when,’ was her first reaction after seeing me.

‘We met several times in Esther’s college, movie-theaters and food-corners, around twenty years back.’ I smiled. ‘Jammy, you didn’t change much.’

‘Oh my God, Sameer, is it you?’ She cuddled me tight for a moment to make me feel good with her deadly curves. ‘I caught you only with the smile. But you must have put on some tons of weight. How come?’

 

Our conversation soon got distracted by the tall, dark, handsome middle-aged gentleman with whom Esther seemed to be extremely close in the gathering.

‘You know the man?’ I asked Jammy.

‘I have no idea, but looks to be her new boy-friend.’

‘She didn’t make his introduction till now.’ 

‘I know Esther very well. She loves to give surprises. I believe they will be officially engaged today. She did the same thing in the previous two occasions of her marriages.’ Jammy grinned. ‘Failed marriages actually I should say.’

‘My sister is still crazy about the men,’ Jammy continued, ‘But she is yet to learn the trick to hold them for a longer period in her life. Poor , frustrated woman! I pity her.’

 

Then I got the chance to briefly talk to the transgender. She was tall, shapely with well-maintained physical assets like someone from the entertainment industry. She said, her name is Nimmy and she runs a spa cum beauty centre in Borivelly. ‘Esther was highly dominating as the business partner. I often felt out of breath with her.’ Nimmy was quite outspoken. ‘She was equally dominating in a relationship that finally broke two of her marriages.’

‘Do you know the man with her?’ I had a faint hope that she might know him.

‘No idea. But he is good and looks so damn hot!’ Nimmy’s face glistened in the next second. ‘I wish I had him. Esther is going to be the lucky b***h again!’

 

The tutor described Esther from a different perspective. ‘She was dumb in the studies but sharp in flirting the boys. I was worried of her persistent restlessness from the beginning that eventually ruined her professional and personal lives. Today she has been living a lonely life in the house inherited from her father.’

‘Do you know the man with him?’

‘I don’t know and don’t even like to know.’ Said the seventy plus, plump lady. ‘More she stays away from those men the better.’

‘How could you be still in touch with her?’

‘Esther is otherwise a nice girl. She helped me a lot financially. My blessings are always there with her. But not for any of her men.’

‘Sounds nice that both of you are still connected.’ I threw my comment rather casually this time.

‘Have you observed something?’ She asked making me a bit surprised by the straightness of her question.

‘What M’am?’

‘There is a tinge of pain in her eyes today. Can’t you see that, you blind man? How can you? Men always remained so pathetically blind to her!’ The old lady didn’t show any more interest to talk to me following that.

 

Was she a perennial man-hater or didn’t stand only the men Esther spent her life with?

 

One of the bosses appreciated her hard-working nature but criticized her desperateness. ‘She once called the M.D. of our company ‘insensible’ right on his face. She lacked the mindset of remaining politically correct.’ The other boss didn’t hide his not-so-good impression about her. ‘I had actually made a blunder by recruiting her in my team. She carried a sick attitude throughout which had damaged the reputation of our institution and spoilt the good name in the market.’

 

Funnily Esther’s stories with all of us present in her celebration party were common in the sense that they had only ended up after failing to carry the burden of an incomplete or incompatible relationship.

 

It looked strange to me.

I wanted to ask her.

But couldn’t find the time.

Meanwhile she ordered her men to serve us the lunch.

 

The food was delectable. We enjoyed every bit of it. She fed us like a perfect host giving separate attention to each and everyone.

 

After lunch when we were settling down with another round of drinks, mostly red wine and vodka she invited the gathering to her garden.

‘Don’t hesitate to carry your drinks with you. I have an announcement to make.’ She said to us. The tall, dark and handsome man was standing right behind her with a queer smile.

 

Rakesh, who was at my side made a meaningful wink showing three of his erected fingers of the right hand. 

Engagement for marriage number three was about to happen!

 

The garden was located at the backside of her house, spacious with scattered plants and trees in disorderly fashion which didn’t look to be well taken care of. Wild bushes and shrubs raised their unruly heads here and there. Grasses became larger and longer across the place. 

 

Was it the place where Esther had planned her celebration of life?

 

There was only one chair kept centrally. Esther occupied the chair. The tall, dark and handsome man stood behind her like the most loyal and obliging attendant.

‘Sorry, I couldn’t arrange any more chairs here. The garden has become almost a jungle. The fault is mine. I failed to give it the proper look. But I am not unhappy at all for that. This place often gives me the feeling that Nature is right here at my doorstep. I always wanted to celebrate today’s event very much here, in the midst of Nature.’

 

A waiter came forward to serve her water. She drank it sip by sip. We were waiting for her next declaration rather restlessly.

‘I know some of you might not be feeling comfortable under the sun, especially after the lunch. It would be a small event I swear. I won’t keep you engaged here for long.’

‘Why the hell she is lingering so much to announce her third marriage?’ Albert’s peevish murmuring hit me from behind.

‘Before that I would like to tell you few things.’ She looked across the audience with a faint smile in her face. The man behind placed his hand lightly on her shoulder. She raised her hand to touch his and turned around to look at him. His hand pressed her shoulder a bit on the note of assurance.

‘Let me introduce this gentleman to you first. He is Dr. David Livingstone my physician for last five years. No, I am not going to marry him as some of you already thought about. He is a happily married man with two grown-up children.’ Her smile spread across her face. ‘I already had a broken affair and two failed marriages. There is no intention left with me to unite once again with a man. That’s no more feasible for me.’

 

I glanced over the faces of Rakesh and Albert quickly, then Jammy and Nimmy. I wish I had a mirror with me to see my own face in it.

 

Why people look so ordinarily stupid when their assumptions in terms of taking something or someone as granted are found to hit nothing but the wrong note?

 

‘Life is a beautiful journey from birth to death. We love to celebrate the beginning of life. We equally fumble to celebrate the end of it. Today here, inside this wild garden of mine I will celebrate the end of my life with all of you.’ She uttered each and every word of her speech distinctly and peacefully.

 

‘What are you saying Esther?’ Jammy almost screamed at her from the gathering.

‘Please Jammy, don’t press the panic button here. May I request you to keep quiet and enjoy the moments of the celebration?’

‘But why you want to die Esther? I have the right to know that. I am after all a family.’ Jammy all on a sudden turned around to point to us, ‘they were all associated with your life at different times. They have also the right to know.’

 

‘You are again making a crucial mistake here my beautiful sis.’ Esther said in an unperturbed voice. ‘I will soon experience the end of my life through a celebration. Condolences and grievances have no role here. I yearn that my life will end happily without an iota of regrets and controversies. I created enough of them in my life and I don’t want to see them any more.’

 

She took a pause. She was mildly panting. She took a sip from the glass of water again.

‘That’s the reason I invited you here.’ Her voice was cool and composed like before. ‘All of you present in this celebration today are very special to my life though I broke your expectations in the past and failed to keep the commitment of my relationships with you. Today’s celebration would be also an effort to heal those still-bleeding wounds of mine before I say adieu to life.’

 

‘Why you want to die Esther?’ I couldn’t resist myself any more. ‘Forty two is not the age to die. You still have many more days to live. Everyone of us had experienced failures in life. But that doesn’t give us the right to end our lives in the name of a celebration. What you are planning to do here now is very much termed as committing a crime.’ 

 

‘Sameer,’ her voice didn’t drift from usual confidence for a moment. ‘You thought my losing weight is the result of intense work-out in the gym, right? Sorry darling, you are not right this time. Dr David has been treating my cancer for last five years. He saved my life in a number of occasions before, but this time he couldn’t retain the chances for me any more. My disease is incurable now. There is probably no place left in my body where the cancer doesn’t spread.’

 

She glanced over our small encircling crowd for a while.

 

Was it a joke?

 

But 1st April was gone some months ago.

 

‘Rakesh, you were momentarily struck by my charm and couldn’t stop darting your usual flirts but believe me, whatever left in my body today is nothing but some bones and the overlying layer of skin. Rest are all fake including this one as well.’ She pulled out the thick mass of hair from her head to expose the ugly baldness. ‘I lost my original hair years back including quite a bit portions of several of my internal organs and my two entire breasts. My today’s charm was nothing but the result of my make-up artist’s impeccable skill. I left no stone unturned to prepare myself for this celebration dear friends. There will be actually no chance for me after today. All of you must have been well aware now about my obsession for make-up and self-decoration. I can’t leave them in the last moments of my life.’

 

Last moments of life! I felt crazy. Has she planned a self-imposed death to get rid of her incurable illness and want us to experience that in the name of celebration?

 

Insane woman!

Or might it be very well the scheme to fix us with serious legal charges for directly eyeing an suicidal act without any intervention? 

 

‘Sorry Esther, you have no right to take such extreme step.’ I moved out of the gathering and said to her. ‘This is absolutely illegal. We can’t let you die against the law.’

‘I suggest we should call the police.’ said Albert from the crowd. ‘She must be stopped from taking any drastic action on her life.’

‘I can’t agree more.’ Said the transgender. ‘We might fall in serious legal problems if she kills herself here in front of our eyes. The law won’t leave us easily. Dr Albert, why can’t you ring up to the police-station right now?’

‘Let me inform the police.’ Said Rakesh. ‘I know the number of the local office-in-charge.’

 

‘Ladies and gentlemen,’ a firm, husky voice alerted all of us in the next moment.

Dr David Livingstone.

‘You shouldn’t worry about any kind of legal complication here. We have no such intention to put you into that trouble. You are all Esther’s beloved guests. You are her inspiration, her mates of celebration of life. Mark my words please. She has already received the approval of the court to end her life.’ He took out a sheet of paper from his side-bag and handed over to my hand promptly.

 

Albert stooped his head and peeped through my shoulder while I was going through the paper. He was soon followed by others. The paper moved from hands to hands fast.

 

‘How can the court issue such order?’ said one of her old bosses. ‘Our country does never grant approval of such self-decided death.’

‘I think the paper is a fake one. It must be checked by a lawyer to verify its legal validity.’ Said Jammy, the cousin sister of Esther.

‘I know a good lawyer who lives near-by.’ the comment was floated by the other boss of her who never used to like her. ‘I can try him.’

‘Try right now.’ Said Nimmy, Esther’s once-upon a time business partner, the transgender. ‘We should never allow her to inflict any physical damage that can amount to her death. At least not before the lawyer comes and check this paper.’

 

‘This is nice, really nice.’ We heard her claps. ‘I really enjoyed your so far concerns for my death. I wish you had these concerns about me in our relationships as well. The sharing of life would have been better, might be a bit more lasting.’

 

‘Esther,!’ Albert’s voice suddenly found a prompt rise. ‘What do you think of yourself? A greatly innocent soul who would like to put the entire blame on us for all your failed personal and professional relationships? Do you think we will go by whatever s**t you say to us on the pretext of your ill-health and plan to end your life?’

 

‘You invited us here to digest all these nuisance!’ It was now Jammy’s turn to scream and slam on her. ‘I never knew you are such a sick soul.’

 

‘Let’s move out from this place.’ said the transgender Nimmy. ‘Let her then commit suicide in whatever way she prefers.’ 

 

As chaos and confusion was consolidating within our small crowd the priest, who so far stood like a statue beside Esther suddenly came forward, raised two of his hands and tried to placate the agitating gathering.

 

‘Dear friends of mine,’ his sharp but musical voice caught us firmly. ‘Can I say something here? You can take my words as genuine as living daylight. I never tell lies being an ardent servant of God. The legal document that you just saw is very much valid. Last month Esther had submitted an application to the court asking permission to end her life as the final resort to get rid of her terminal illness. The court reciprocated by constituting a medical board to examine her physical condition. The board after conducting all sorts of checks on her came to the unanimous conclusion that she has lost the last hope of living. Dear friends of mine, the court then had no inhibition to grant her wishes.’ 

 

His candid speech was gripping enough to bring complete halt to the agitation that we had been wildly displaying inside the wilderness of the garden.

 

Esther remained unmoved throughout.

 

Her smile never disappeared from her face for a second. But her eyes couldn’t hide the tears. They were probably yet to be invaded by her incurable disease.

 

She clapped to draw our attention. 

‘Can we get into the celebration part now? My time is not too long.’ 

She then sincerely thanked the priest for his timely intervention.

 

‘I will distribute certain responsibilities among all of you as my final wishes. That would be truly my celebration of this life. You have every right to drop my proposition the way I have the right to celebrate my last wishes.’

 

We remained speechless.

 

‘Sameer,’ She continued, ‘I have been running a NGO for the last five years to look after some poverty-stricken, cancer-affected kids. I wish to hand over the charges of the NGO to you as there is no better person I know who can accomplish the job. I do hope you will say ‘yes’.

She then turned to Nimmy. ‘My spa cum unisex saloon of Juhu will be now yours. Don’t worry. It is a highly profit-making business with clients often flocking from the film and fashion worlds. I know I was solely responsible for the failure of our joint business venture years back but the lessons learnt from that debacle were not misutilised. Nimmy, I don’t have confidence on anyone else for this job of mine. You are the only one I can trust upon, dear.’

 

She then transferred her charitable hospital to her two ex-husbands, her entire investment in mutual funds and shares went to her ex bosses and some millions of the hard cash lying in her bank account came under the custody of her cousin sister Jammy, her old rival for the school days’ crush.

 

Finally she declared her last wishes for her old tutor.

 

‘My dear Ms. Jones, you did so much for me. I can never repay your debt ever in my life. But here is a small gift on my behalf for you. This house is now yours. You don’t have to stay in the shabby old home any more. And a common message to all of you. My lawyer will meet each of you to complete the deals formally. I have signed in all the papers. You need to do the rest.’

 

We still couldn’t find the way to our usual, blabbering talks.

The celebration was too heavy to bring ourselves back to the normal state of mind.

 

The old tutor broke down in tears all on a sudden.

 

‘Jammy, would you mind to take care of my teacher? Tell her not to be upset. My death is unstoppable at this stage, can happen any time. So I choose today to die as an informed choice. Please let me execute my right.’ Her panting, her struggle to draw every bit of air became prominent this time.

 

‘Please, my dear friends of mine, don’t feel bad for me.’ She was still on with her speech. ‘I hate to see tears in your eyes at the time of my death.’

She didn’t speak after that.

 

The priest put his hand on her head. His slow muttering of prayer continued along with Dr David’s plunging of the deathly Pethidine into her body. 

 

She raised her left hand and waved to us to say final ‘good-bye.’ We remained unmoved. Our hands didn’t rise back. They were all paralyzed for the moment.

Her hand soon dropped and became still after a fragment of the ‘breathtaking’ second.

 

The doctor declared her dead after few minutes though the priest didn’t stop his praying for a place in heaven for her soul.

 

The celebration was over.

 

The crowd was gradually dispersing.

 

The old tutor had already dropped herself on the ground. Jammy was trying to pacify her in tearful eyes. Nimmy was silently shedding tears below a medium-size tree of the garden. Albert was crying like a child beside the sobbing Rakesh. The two of Esther’s bosses were standing in one corner of the garden like mute, mesmerized spectators as if they had just experienced something totally unique. 

 

I intended to get out of the place but my feet became too heavy to move on the ground.

Esther’s memories were densely clouding in mind.

My vision was getting blurred fast.

The effort to stop tears from flooding the eyes didn’t click.

 

We were right into the celebration that moment in an attempt to dry up the uncontrollable flow of tears that she had so much hated to see in our eyes.

The tears for Esther, will they ever dry up?

They are probably going to be the celebration.…………… for the rest of our lives. 


(Based on a true story, but not in India)   

© 2016 SUGATA M


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing tale written. I liked the ex-husbands and the situation. A interesting gathering of people. I like the ending a lot. Life takes us to where we support to be. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing tale.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 11, 2016
Last Updated on September 11, 2016

Author

SUGATA M
SUGATA M

New Delhi, South Asia, India



About
Moody, creative, romantic man loves intelligent and witty women and friendly men, adores simplicity and abominates double standard more..

Writing
VIDA VIDA

A Story by SUGATA M


Scent Scent

A Story by SUGATA M