Advice for Modern Day Young Women

Advice for Modern Day Young Women

A Poem by SL Waits
"

As an 18 year old woman now graduated from high school, I would like to give some advice to the young women of the world, especially those who think teenaged pregnancy is okay.

"
We all know that, in general, feminism started because women weren't considered people.

It started because women wanted the ability to aspire to be more than housewives.

It started because women were brave enough to go outside the boundaries of their society and think for themselves.

And now, in the spirit of thinking for ourselves, there are some questions that modern day young women need to address:

Since when did getting guys to think you're hot become the number one priority in a girl's life?

Since when did the biggest problem you could ever have become not being pretty?

Since when did sex become a way of getting attention instead of a way of connecting to someone that you love?

And since when did love start lasting days instead of decades?

Since when did it start being a good thing to be the blackout drunk "chic" at the party every weekend?

(On a side note, since when did becoming blackout drunk become a good thing at all?)

Since when did sex appeal become more important than talent and potential?

Now the hard questions.

Since when is it "okay" to lose your virginity at fifteen years old?

Since when is it "okay" to lose your virginity at thirteen years old?

Since WHEN is it "okay" to lose your virginity at ELEVEN years old?

And since WHEN is it "okay" to do this without protection?

It is NOT okay to have a baby in high school.

For several reasons.

It is NOT fair to the mother.

It is NOT fair to the father.

It is under NO circumstances fair to the child.

And it is NOT fair to society.

Let me get one thing straight. I want a baby. I want a family. But I am 18 years old. And my number one priority right now is making sure that I can pay for my future child - that I can give it a secure, happy life, and be a secure, happy mother. Working a minimum wage job or relying on my parents is not going to give my baby a good life. And perhaps more importantly - it's not going to give ME a good life.

My number one priority right now is to make something of myself, to become something, to live, to learn, and to make my dreams a reality.

My number one priority is to learn about life so that, when I have done everything I want to do, when I have settled down, when I am ready to have a baby, I can be a good mother.

My number one priority is to be fair to myself - to, in my case, act, sing, create - allow myself the chance to finish items on my bucket list that can't be done with a kid, before I even consider touching on one of my biggest dreams of having a family.

My number one priority is to live before I give life.

Every person has potential. Every person has the opportunity to exercise this potential.

Since when has this become uncommon knowledge?

Since when has this become something that girls think about secondary to finding a boyfriend?

Answer me that, world, with a justifiable answer, and I will be silenced.

Answer me that, world, with a true answer, and I will say against what I think now that feminism still exists.

I began this note with a statement on feminism. I would like to finish it with a question.

Since when did feminism mean sexualization?

But this is not what is important to me. What's important to me is that I know far too many teenaged mothers.

What's important to me is that I know far too many teenagers who want to be teenaged mothers.

What's important to me is that I know far too many teenagers who think it's okay to try to become a teenaged mother.

My advice to you, now, is this:

Stop thinking success is measured in men, or rebellions, or "high school points".

Start thinking success is measured in how many dreams you can make come true.

Do it for your children.

Do it for yourself.

Live before giving life.

© 2012 SL Waits


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved every single line in this work. It's eye opening to most girls around us now a days. It really gives them something to think about. (You just became my hero xD). I'm going to be honest here and say that I am a teenage mother-to-be. I'm the same age as you are and share almost all the same dreams you have. Its like another me in this world writing this. Yet, anyone would need to know my story before anyone could slap a "s**t" or "w***e" tag on me. I guess the truth is its all about circumstances. I could see some people coming in here and smacking those "What if the girl was raped?" and other similar comments. All I really have to say here is well done. I love the way you constructed this work and the truth behind it. I agree with it a 100% (and I'm a bit of a feminist myself) I hope to see more of your writings soon (and continue to look at others x3)
-Sally

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow, you really hit all the nails in here, and hit 'em hard too. To be honest, this put in perspective a lot of things I have let go... Talent and potential should be recognized more... beautiful write, and thanks!:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love this. I love every little bit of it. The fact that girls, especially young girls, are being consumed with the idea that their worth comes from sex is incredibly disheartening. It's nice to someone standing against that. Great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved every single line in this work. It's eye opening to most girls around us now a days. It really gives them something to think about. (You just became my hero xD). I'm going to be honest here and say that I am a teenage mother-to-be. I'm the same age as you are and share almost all the same dreams you have. Its like another me in this world writing this. Yet, anyone would need to know my story before anyone could slap a "s**t" or "w***e" tag on me. I guess the truth is its all about circumstances. I could see some people coming in here and smacking those "What if the girl was raped?" and other similar comments. All I really have to say here is well done. I love the way you constructed this work and the truth behind it. I agree with it a 100% (and I'm a bit of a feminist myself) I hope to see more of your writings soon (and continue to look at others x3)
-Sally

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 4, 2012
Last Updated on December 4, 2012
Tags: teenage pregnancy, pregnancy, advice, feminism, questions, angry, potential, dreams, dreaming, high school, school, teens, mothers, young mothers, parents, virginity

Author

SL Waits
SL Waits

Saskatoon, Canada



About
I am what comes through in my writing. more..

Writing
No One No One

A Poem by SL Waits