Breaking Bad Habits (Speech)

Breaking Bad Habits (Speech)

A Story by Rylie Grace Vittwin

Cue. Response. Reward. Think about these words. Ok. Now picture yourself. You wake up, determined to change all of your bad habits. Whether it's procrastinating, being late, not eating, or even just biting your fingernails. You’re going to fix it. Except, then the day starts and you find yourself being unproductive, or skipping a meal, or getting somewhere late. All the while nervously biting your nails. You fall back into the familiar loop and find yourself once again trapped in the cycle that seems so hard to escape. Today we’re going to change that. Remember those words? Cue, response, reward. These are what make up the habit loop.


We all have bad habits. While these habits may vary from person to person, they are absolutely there. In order to fix them, it is crucial for us to recognize them. Think about those times when bad habits have held you back from your goals. Perhaps it's going to bed late or being on your phone 24/7 that blocks you from feeling good and being healthy. Once we are able to single out these habits, we can start to understand why they happen. 


This leads us back to the habit loop. Cue, response, reward. Let’s talk about that first word. Cue. We each have cues that trigger specific habits. When our phones buzz, it's a cue for us to check our messages and other notifications. The first step is to make our cues invisible. If you are trying to cut down on phone time and social media then put your phone away or set it farther from yourself. We need to remove our cues from our environments.


Next, response. This is how we react to our cues. It is when our habits are being carried out, such as checking our phone and looking at social media in response to our phone buzzing. We usually don’t think twice about performing this action and it is cemented through repetition. We need to change our response by making it more difficult to accomplish. There are two ways we can do this. The two minute rule and a commitment plan. The two minute rule can be used by distracting yourself from what you are trying to avoid. When your phone buzzes, instead of checking it, do something you enjoy for two minutes. The chances are that you will forget about your phone by the time you're done. Additionally, the commitment plan is a way for you to help commit yourself to avoiding the bad habit. For example, setting up screen time is an easy thing to do now and prepares you for the next time your phone buzzes. Then when you pick it up, screen time will remind you of your commitment and discourage you from staying on your phone.


Finally, reward. When your dog does a cool trick or obeys your command, you reward it with a treat. We should do the same to ourselves when we stay true to our decision and avoid our bad habits. We need to reinforce that when we complete the routine, we have positive outcomes. Our brains associate that avoiding bad habits leads to rewarding outcomes, making it more likely that the habit loop will be repeated every time in the future.

Cue, response, reward.


Now we understand the habit loop. We know what our bad habits are, what prompts them to happen, how we respond to them, and how to change them. Cue, response, reward. Ok, picture yourself again. As you do it, I want you to keep in mind the habit loop. Cue, response, reward. Imagine you wake up, determined to change all of your bad habits. You know what they are and you have prepared what you are going to do when challenged. You know that you have the power to fix them. So when your phone buzzes, you're ready. You move on to another task that you enjoy. Now instead of getting stuck on social media, you leave early for school and arrive promptly. Imagine yourself going through your day smoothly, no longer falling into the familiar loop of negative routines. See the newfound productivity and efficiency in your work, the extra time you gain by breaking free from time-wasting habits. Envision the positive impact on yourself as you replace bad habits with healthy routines, experiencing increased energy and focus. 


Cue, response, reward. As you can see, it creates a ripple effect in our relationships and personal growth. Changing these habits not only transforms your own life but positively influences those around you. 


Cue, response, reward. We are aware of those words - the habit loop - and understand how they shape our behaviors.


Cue, response, reward. Let’s take these words and apply them to our lives. 


Cue. Find the cues that trigger your bad habits and strive to make them less visible.


Response. Change your response by introducing challenges or using strategies, such as the two minute rule, to make it more difficult to engage in a bad habit.


Reward. Reinforce that positive outcomes come after avoiding a bad habit.


Cue, response, reward. Visualize the benefits of being free from bad habits, the positive impact on your productivity, well-being, and relationships. Use this knowledge to change and improve your habits, leading to a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle. 


Cue, response, reward.

© 2024 Rylie Grace Vittwin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Powerful work. Tremendous.

Posted 1 Week Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
1 Review
Added on September 9, 2024
Last Updated on September 9, 2024