Closed Casket

Closed Casket

A Story by RubyR
"

Wrote this in the middle of a test. Possibly not the best place for inspiration to arise, but who am I to deny the creative process.

"
It's yet another closed casket funeral. 
I sigh, a pitiful one at that. I hadn't been Max for long enough to make friends, but I'd hoped my colleagues would at least RSVP. They didn't. I refreshed the email over and over, and no replies. No reply from Dale- who's coffee I'd brought day after day, and who liked it black but with sugar. I thought his coffee choice was strange, but I didn't tell him. No reply from Janet- who's dog I walked when she caught the flu. I hate dogs, and hers only reinforced that.  
Neither of them new how I took my coffee, and neither knew that I couldn't stand dogs. Can't stand dogs, I correct myself. A funeral doesn't mean I'm dead. Too easy to fake.
Ultimately: neither cared to RSVP in regards to my funeral. 
It should hurt, but it doesn't. I suppose after years of such affairs- one grows impartial to the coldness of others. No matter how so though- one never truly grows numb to the unfair sting of the winter breeze. I hug my jacket tighter round my shoulders, as I sit behind my favourite church pew. My knees cling to my chest, and I cling to my knees. 
Wait! This isn't my favourite pew at all. I had thought it was, when I snuck in with the early hours of the morning, but its completely different. Colour, feel, and direction of the planks. I see that now.
This may not even be the right church, or even the right funeral for all I know. All I know, is not very much at all. I watch the odd mourner mutter a prayer, and I squint to discern names from faces. None arise. 
That's how it gets when you live the life of a coward, always running, always restarting. Coward. I must wear the title like a badge of merit- though it stands for the opposite- as to do otherwise only reinforces the fact. 
I suppose life just got claustrophobic again, suffocating. 
This is the seventeenth life I've lived, but I haven't really lived any of them.
The seventeenth funeral of mine. All closed casket for there's no body to look upon.
A closed casket funeral, for a man who refuses both life and death.

© 2023 RubyR


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

34 Views
Added on May 7, 2023
Last Updated on May 7, 2023
Tags: shortstory, murder, plottwist, story, depressing

Author

RubyR
RubyR

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
14 year old aspiring author! I mainly write poetry and short stories, but currently working on my first novel too! more..

Writing
Forgiveness Forgiveness

A Poem by RubyR


The Walls The Walls

A Story by RubyR