Stained Souls

Stained Souls

A Story by Alaric Rose
"

To be honest this is inspired by the stained glass windows from the video game series Kingdom Hearts.

"
It’s so very dark. I can’t see anything. It’s so silent. Is this nothing? Or maybe this could be everything, all at once. I can’t feel anything at all, I’m just so numb. I try to open my eyes as hard as I can; it takes so much effort to open them even a little. As they open I see the sky and notice I'm falling, all i can see is the clear blue sky. I keep falling, still feeling nothing, not even the wind. I notice how clear the sky is and how it looks endless, not even one cloud in sight. All of a sudden I hit water, I don’t feel it but I know what it is and now it’s even darker than when my eyes were closed. It’s so empty and blank. All of a sudden my feet hit something solid but it still it’s still completely blank. Then out of nowhere doves burst out from under my feet uncovering a large circular stained glass window that seems to have light shining through it but that makes no sense at all as I stare at it I notice that I am the picture on this window.

On the window I’m depicted with two wings and my eyes are closed with my hands laid on my chest as if I’ve just been prepared for my own funeral. The wings are magnificent and very beautiful. One is a black angel wing with gorgeous looking feathers making it up and the other is a white demon wing that is webbed and looks like it has amazing texture to it. I look at this window in amazement. I’m so very good looking, so much better looking than I had ever been before in actual reality. Just as I had gotten over the picture of myself other doves fly away lighting up eight more stained glass windows. Each of the windows shows me in some sort of scenario, scenarios I’ve never been in though. In some I’m fighting a creature or something like a creature and in others I can’t even begin to guess what I am doing.

As I start to look around for somewhere to go or something, I start to hear this voice but I have no clue where it could be coming from because I can’t see anyone or anything around not that I can see much off of the windows.
“Death is a part of your humanity but Astrid I offer a chance for you to throw your humanity away and to avoid going through the process which comes with death. Aaron have you ever wondered if there was more to this boring world then what is on the surface?”
I don’t know why but I responded to the voice.
“I have always wondered and hoped there was more than what was on the surface of this boring and uninteresting existence and what do you mean by ‘Humanity’? I can’t accept your offer if I don’t know what I’m throwing away and I would also like to know what I’m actually getting and maybe even what the process that comes with death means too. I need to know everything so I can consider each option completely and come up with the right decision.”

Everything is quiet for about two minutes and then the voice responds.
“Does it really matter on the particulars? You would be escaping death if you take my deal, is that not enough to know? Would you really choose death over life?”
I ponder this for a minute or so and then say.
“In most cases yes I would choose life over death but no matter the case or the offer I still want to know every particular and detail and think about both options. I don’t want to regret it when it is all said and done.”
The voice stays silent for about ten minutes this time then he responds in a quieter tone then he has used before.

“Humanity means your soul is nothing special and has a balance of both darkness and light or as higher beings call them Essence and Grace. To take someone’s humanity away all you have to do is unsettle the balance or change the soul completely to make it ascend in one of the two directions. Demons and such have Essence in their souls over everything and angels have Grace over everything, it also gives them their powers that they have depending on their soul meaning that none have the same powers. As for what the process that comes with death let me explain this. In this ‘place’ every life that has ever and will exist falls through the sky. Some start higher and some start lower, when you finally hit the water it means you are dead and when you come here you are being prepared to be reincarnated but some souls as in your case cannot be reincarnated because of the properties of your soul so instead of showing you as yourself in the middle window and on the eight others showing the eight paths of reincarnation, it shows you as you would be if you were to continue living and on the eight other windows it shows eight great things you would do with this found life. How’s that for particulars?”
I respond with;
“one last question. If I let you ascend my soul, which way would it be ascending?”
the voice answers almost straight away. This time with the deep booming voice he had used the first time.
“I would be ascending you by giving you more Essence and making your soul more demon like and no demons are not evil or anything they just have really bad reputation. So you can be exactly as you were in your last life if you want to be.”
I bow and respond with a more mocking tone.
“Well then I accept your offer, Mr?”
“Just call me death” he said in an even better mocking tone then mine.

© 2015 Alaric Rose


Author's Note

Alaric Rose
The format might be a little off i wrote this when I was a lot younger but thought I would share it. Any and all opinions welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on October 30, 2015
Last Updated on October 30, 2015
Tags: Death, Supernatural, Fiction

Author

Alaric Rose
Alaric Rose

Australia



About
Just a normal guy. Want to know anything just message me! Would love to make friends! I'll try to post a decent amount and it will be poems and short stories unless i want to do something else, mos.. more..

Writing