Finding inspiration

Finding inspiration

A Story by Rosaria_V
"

A small peace to what would be me

"

 

                                                                         

         As a kid, I always loved helping people. Whether it was my mom in the kitchen or a friend at school, I loved being there to help. I also love kids. When I was young I wanted to be a lot of things, a poet, singer, and a scientist. As I got older I wanted to know what I really wanted to be. Then I went to middle school for the first time. I made friends and enjoyed my new school. On the first day of middle school, when it became lunch time, I saw a table in the far back end of the room.  I was so small, but I still was able to see the table of these kids that looked different.

         On the second day, at the same time, a teacher named Mr. Gill, which I had in one of my classes, came over to me. He said, “Hi Rosie, I saw you looking over at the table with the special need kids”, I replied, “Yes Mr. Gill, I saw them yesterday”. He knew I love to help people, so he asked me if I would like to volunteer in the class. I was very excited be able to help out and said I yes. I sat with them at the lunch table that day and I was very happy to meet them. I did not know what to expect, but was willing to learn. They had a special way to do things in their class room. Like the way that they communicate, some of the kids could not say they were hungry or needed to go to the bathroom so they had hand signals.

           I quickly started a ritual. Every day I came in the lunch room, helped get the kid’s lunches, then got my lunch, finally after we ate we worked our way to Mr. Gill’s class room. I would stay in the class room until it was time to go to class myself. I enjoyed helping out every day that I was there. It taught me to put others before myself. This is a lesion that I wanted to take with me wherever I went. I was with this class for three years.  When it came time for me to graduate, it was very bittersweet to say goodbye.

          When I started volunteering in Mr. Gill’s class I did not know what to expect. I knew I enjoyed helping people and loved kids but did not know how to put them together. Then I found Mr. Gills class and they really helped me find what I wanted to in life.  Growing up I knew I had a purpose, and that was to help people. Now, I know that want to help people in a special way. Today I reflect on the first time that I volunteered and say this is how I found my inspiration. 

© 2013 Rosaria_V


Author's Note

Rosaria_V
This is an Essay from which I feel I wrote forever ago. It's not my WHOLE story but it's a small piece that I feel has helped me and kept me grounded as I learned what kind of person I wanted to be. Today I feel like I have so much more to tell and I only want to keep telling more. I humbly hope you enjoy it and learn a little more about me.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This heart-warming story of yours reflects kindly on the human race, and if there were more like you, the world would no doubt be a better place. Giving of one's self for the benefit of others is truly a magnificent thing. May you always find contentment in what you're doing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosaria_V

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)



Reviews

This heart-warming story of yours reflects kindly on the human race, and if there were more like you, the world would no doubt be a better place. Giving of one's self for the benefit of others is truly a magnificent thing. May you always find contentment in what you're doing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosaria_V

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :)
Helping other people who need it most is definitely a humbling experience. I love to be able to help people who are in need. I have goals to open women's clinics in less developed countries and in the near future, I will be sending care packages to women's shelters. When you take your eyes off yourself and put them on someone else, I believe it really does make the world a better place.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rosaria_V

11 Years Ago

I so agree!! I think that's amazing. I would love to be able to do more for people in the future wit.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 18, 2013
Last Updated on August 18, 2013

Author

Rosaria_V
Rosaria_V

NY



About
My name is Rosaria, Rosie for short :) I love to help people and want to be a teacher for children with special needs. This has been a passion of mine forever. ♫♥ Good things comes to th.. more..

Writing