When I Look in the Mirror

When I Look in the Mirror

A Poem by Tionge Rosalie Johnson
"

If you've ever struggled with self image or body dysmorphia such as myself, this poem might comfort you.

"

When I look in the mirror, 

I'm expected to see something beautiful on the exterior. 

 

"Self-love," the anthem of a 21st century lie my sweet little girl ears took.

Where I am a habit of purchasing products that like a Band-Aid temporarily fixes whatever damaged self-image I'd partook. 

 

What happens when you only see wants in the 

interior, below the surface, below the flesh. 

 

What if that's what I hope to see?

For when I look in the mirror it's the exterior I'm blinding myself to be. 

 

The flesh that's unlike the flesh on billboards, on

Teen Vogue, in New York fashion week. 

 

What if below the surface is where I hope to be?

Away from my own being,

away from facing the physicality that curses me. 

 

What then do I face when I look in the mirror? 

When merrily a second's glance of who I am creates a schizophrenic need, a hostility, 

a virus festering within my mentality. 

 

When I look at myself in the mirror?

I'm I truly willing to face the exterior? 

 

© 2016 Tionge Rosalie Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's hard, in terms of body image, to be female in our culture. (Men have plenty of struggles with self-image too, but I'll stick with the women's side for now, since that's my area of expertise.) :) Even with "anthems" of "self-love" and being taught that we're beautiful just the way we are, each of us still battles the subconscious belief that we're not pretty enough. And when we try to go below the surface to find our true worth, we face the brokenness and imperfection that plagues all human beings. Great work on this poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Well written and expressed!
Young ladies have such pressure to look a certain way,
because of the media and so on:)
Thanks for sharing and b-blessed!

Posted 7 Years Ago


I love this because I hate looking into mirrors. It's not me, it's not the spirit within.

Posted 7 Years Ago


It's hard, in terms of body image, to be female in our culture. (Men have plenty of struggles with self-image too, but I'll stick with the women's side for now, since that's my area of expertise.) :) Even with "anthems" of "self-love" and being taught that we're beautiful just the way we are, each of us still battles the subconscious belief that we're not pretty enough. And when we try to go below the surface to find our true worth, we face the brokenness and imperfection that plagues all human beings. Great work on this poem.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Whoa, you have a great depth of beauty. It's like I have to hold my breath when I read, but I see amazing things and feel amazing when I do. It's the way you write, the words you use; beautiful!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love this it was a pleasure to be able tho read this

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

408 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2016
Last Updated on July 25, 2016
Tags: poetry, spoken word, self image, body image

Author

Tionge Rosalie Johnson
Tionge Rosalie Johnson

Syracuse , NY



About
I'm a graduate student at the S.I Newhouse School of Public Communications studying Arts Journalism where I am specializing in theatre. I have a great passion for writing and editing written work and .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..