Phantoms of the Past

Phantoms of the Past

A Chapter by RobbieT
"

A lonely and forgotten figure hides in a cave waiting for death to take him and his secrets. Unfortunately evil embodied in a young man finds him.

"
322 Sunsbirth 1
An old man, hunched and gray, hobbled up the mountain path. The sun was beginning to set in the valley to his back, but he would arrive at his camp before then. Slowly the way became less steep allowing the cave mouth to be seen just ahead. Once he had been a wealthy landowner, but now the foreboding cavern and a few scant possessions were all he had left.
He collapsed down on a few furs before rekindling the fire. He had learned from experience that a night in the mountains without warmth or light was a death sentence. With a bit of effort the embers jumped back to life. The shadows were soon dispelled from the man's cavernous home and life crept back into his weary limbs. 
Only after the fire reached its full height did the man remove his tattered gloves and face covering. His leathery skin felt revitalized by the orange flames. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful hunting and was nearly out of food. His saving grace was a few scraps of bread and jerky he had stolen from a traveler. If he did not catch something tomorrow, he would go hungry. After his meager meal the old man laid down to rest.
. . .
The sound of crunching snow woke the man from his dreams, but he kept his eyes shut. He could hear movement coming from just outside his cave. Judging by the smell of smoke he assumed that his fire was nearly out. Keeping his eyes shut, he slowly reached under the mass of rags he used as a pillow. To his relief the familiar steel of his dagger's pommel greeted him.
The sound turned into padding of soles as the intruder entered the cave. Once the source of the noise got close enough to the embers the man leapt up and shouted, "Mafo igidth!" and a torrent of flames rose from the pit. In quick response the intruder, now identifiable as a man wearing pitch armor and a hood, said "Umbro." With that one word he faded into the shadows of the cave.
"Can I help you Caed?" the old man said. From the dark came the smooth response, "Not particularly, it's good to see you again. My uncle Wulfrid will be happy to know his old friend is still doing well."
"Come out and I'll give you a present for ole Wulfrid."
"Oh but where would be the fun in that? Sangram comato vili'ic!"
The old man knew the spell was coming, but he did not try to deflect it. In fact he was happy to die knowing that his secret, and Wulfrid's victory, would die with him. He collapsed to his knees and watched as Caed reappeared from the shadows without his hood. Unable to move, he allowed his thoughts to drift back to his home. He saw his children playing in the fields and his wife working at her loom. These things seemed more like a distant dream than a memory, but they brought him comfort all the same.
"I'm sure you know why I'm here." Caed's voice shattered the beautiful image. "Wulfrid wants the keys and he's sure you know where at least one is. Make my job easier and I your family will become whole again. I know how you miss them so."
"Go rot in Avgrund, w****s-son!"
"Very well."
A wicked smile crossed Caed's face as he took the small blade from his belt and drew first blood. "Ganso." The fresh wound healed as if it had never happened. "You see," Caed ran his finger over the line where the wound once was, "we can do this all night." Caed gave a short laugh as he saw fear creep into his victim's eyes. Then his symphony of sadism began.


© 2013 RobbieT


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

hey what an awesome opening this is, it almost reminded me of one of the lord of the rings books and maybe the alchemyst by michael scott

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 15, 2013
Last Updated on September 15, 2013


Author

RobbieT
RobbieT

Belleville, IL



About
I'm double majoring in Criminal Justice and Poli Sci with high political aspirations. But realistically I think I'll be an eternal student. I would like to get degrees in history, philology, Latin, Ol.. more..

Writing
Yuletide Yuletide

A Chapter by RobbieT


Faded Love Faded Love

A Poem by RobbieT