11. When a Kid signs away his Life Unknowingly

11. When a Kid signs away his Life Unknowingly

A Chapter by R. Linskey
"

"

 

A day before the Universe knows about Quents inheritance 

When I was old enough to write, I was instructed to sign a contract that indicated varied requirements in order to complete the indenture. I thought it was an adventure at that age, but it was a betrayal to my freedom, and the person who made me sign it was my own blood brother. It promised a deal that was too hard to pass on, and at that age I cared not. Even as I grew older and was made to understand the concept of my luck. I still wished that I had ripped the contract in front of my so called brother. Why is it that I’m thinking this right now, just when I’m about to be slammed into a rock wall. Quent slowed down the carriage enough so that when I’d hit the wall, I would just break something instead of dying. Quent’s shoelaces got stuck on something and the speed force we traveled at, out-matched the strength of a horse for when they pull a man to death. The same thing happened here but without the slow pull of the horses, it was a quick pop from the leg, letting me know that it was quick for him. He was still holding onto the reigns of the carriage, which was a sad and bad idea. After his leg departed him, Quent’s body flew up ahead of me. Raining down a trail of blood, it went up my nose, in my mouth and every part of my skin that wasn’t covered by clothing. Before I slammed into the wall, I quickly turned so that my pretty boy face wouldn’t get mashed up. I thought I was going to die and I wanted an open casket for my funeral. My back got mashed instead, leaving me with a broken back. I laid there paralysed for a good few minutes, and before unconsciousness took me. I saw the one man I knew I’ll see again, my parents eldest son, Jakcon Remelan. 

Opening my eyes for the first time since today lead me to see my surroundings. Seems to look like a hospital. No one was here to greet me, I’m guessing news of Quent has been spread due to me being handcuffed to the bed. I tried testing to see if my jaw was still locked, thankfully it wasn’t. 

“I’m up,” I shouted. A quarter of a dozen guards came in almost instantly. 

“Send for Renum,” the guard with the gold watch said.      

“You’re not going to send for a doctor first? You dull b******s,” I said. Renum is the spokesman for the Larferna council, he was the one that presented me the contract to sign. He was the one that separated me from my brother. Although Jakcon signed a different contract. One that requires him to go to school, but I never really knew what he was tasked with. I looked around without moving my head. Using my eyes, I saw that the guards are wearing a uniform that I’ve never seen before. I’m guessing it’s the Larferna council’s private security team. I’ve been told that they were the only guards who wears gold and red watches. Renum made way to my room then, wearing a dark grey suit with a flexible cloak that looks exactly like Larfern wood. He was old and has no hair, with tons of wrinkles above his eyebrows. He raised his brows before me, no doubt creating himself no favours, in terms of wrinkle progression. 

“Octlyn Rem-elan, contract dictates that I shouldn’t be seeing you until your contracts accomplished.” He said with an egotistic tone. 

“Where was Quent’s bodyguards, huh?”

“Making yourself unknown within the Hikodom Hills is near impossible, I had to pull back the security team incase Quent suspects anything.”

“Is Quent safe?” I asked. 

“He’s been found.” Renum is a vague man.

“What’s the Larferna council got planned now?” Renum ignored me.

“You just endangered, Quent,” he said.

“No point using the code name ‘Quent’ anymore.”

“You and Stutra Kent will be detained for now.”

“Kerra's stock delivery was cancelled due to your council. If it wasn't for that, then we wouldn’t have hiked up the Hikodom Hills to retrieve our expected delivery.” 

“Yeah, but you had the option to refuse Quent’s help.” Kerra, Atalie and Stu were the only ones who knew about Quent’s offer to help with the stock trade. They must have interrogated everyone. They might have even told Kerra that I am of the Remelan bloodline. She could either ditch me for lying about my identity, or she could actually get turned on by my sudden stature within the Royal Larferna. 

“You've only managed to fulfil three days of your contract, whereas your brother Jakcon has succeeded his contract of nine years without an accident such as this." Renum signalled one of the guards to hand him something.

"This contract states that if you failed, then all the rewards go to your brother, if he hasn't failed also. Meaning Jakcon solely rules over the Remelan City now.” 

"I don't even care about that. What happens to me now?"

"If Quent dies before he's even throned, then you’ll die too. If he wakes up, then you'll have a chance to plea for your failure. I recommend you ask for a pardon from death."

"There was four men tasked to hurt us, you solved that problem yet?" 

"As a spokesman for a council, I'll take pity in you and council you to worry about your own problems before caring for mere attackers. It's still your fault for not protecting Quent successfully." 

"Any chance of counselling me to solve my problems then?” I asked, without much energy.

"Your brother has that covered."

"What's he up to?"

"He opted for the idea to reach out for an Exporta deal with Ceoda Moore."

"Why's he doing that and not you?"

"Before you failed your contract, you were Quent's ambassador to-be. But now that you've failed, the role gets passed onto a relative, your brother in this case."

"Where is Jakcon?"

"He's on route to meet with Garitarie, one of the many General Commanders for the Galactic Government.” 

"Thought you said he's going to broker a deal with Ceoda?"

"Every powerful leader has an ambassador, and Garitarie is one of Ceoda’s.” I ran out of questions so I stayed silent. 

"Here," he chucked mines and Jakcon's contract for me to read and then left with the doors locked. 



© 2018 R. Linskey


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on August 26, 2016
Last Updated on April 30, 2018
Tags: fantasy, sci fi, psychological drama, pov


Author

R. Linskey
R. Linskey

Edinburgh , Scotland , United Kingdom



Writing